130mm Rear Speaker System and Wind deflector in one!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

130mm Rear Speaker System and Wind deflector in one!

Post by 007 »

Hi Guys
At Just Roadsters we have been busy developing a new wind deflector for the Z3 but this time with the added facility of speakers.
If you use the link you can see photos and information about this great new idea.

http://www.justroadster.com/products/wi ... akers.html

I have it fitted to my car and it’s a big improvement over the small standard version or in some cases none at all. This won’t give the mega bass as with a sub but you get a very even mid and high range sound. I have the head unit set to the centre position Front to Back, it use to be all front!. With the roof down I can turn it up and still hear at high speeds 69MPH and above :wink:

We are not supplying the speakers as I know some have their own ideas on what is good and what is not. I have a set of JVC and at £25.00 you could say the bottom end of the market but still they do the job well enough.
If you have any questions as always happy to answer.

Happy Zeding :D
ImageImage
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Great idea...just doesnt look right to me :( Maybe you could design a full box with sub in the middle to fit over the roll bars :)
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Hi,

Great idea - would love to see some bigger close up photos. The ones on the website just are not big enough for my old eyes :D

Gaz
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Great!

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It looks to be just the thing for those Z3 owners who are homeless, and don't have a house to listen to their music in!

I hate all car stereos, as their owners always seem to inflict their dubious musical taste on others - in a sports car the problem is even worse, and no matter what people say, a Z3 is one of the worst places in which to listen to music.

Can't people drive without music?
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Alpine CDA-117Ri in a BMW Z3 Roadster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaHDvBZwSI

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Great!

Post by Gazza »

Mike Fishwick wrote:It looks to be just the thing for those Z3 owners who are homeless, and don't have a house to listen to their music in!
I just love Mikes comments :lol: :lol:

I think it looks great, would like to see a Matt finish rear panel rather than polished.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Cheers,
Yes I have been looking into the Matte finish as it would match the hoops.
I had some sand blasted to give the Matte finish but was not 100% happy with the result.
I could supply a stick on detail with the colours of the car incorporated into the design, this could be a Matte finish with say a blue or red pinstripe around the edge....just a thought but all costs more money :cry:

Thank you all for your comments good and bad alike. :?

Si 8-)
ImageImage
Pinnacle

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pinnacle »

Nice idea, but I'm now thinking, what if you want to remove the wind deflector to get something out of your storage box ?. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit more difficult with those speakers all wired up in there.
--------------------------------------------------------------
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Mike Fishwick wrote:
I hate all car stereos, as their owners always seem to inflict their dubious musical taste on others -
Stop following them around then, or is it the 2 second spell as they go past that concerns you Mr Meldrew?

I think a spell of calming music in your car might be well overdue...
Mind you, in France, Charles Aznavour would get on my nerves too :D :D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Yep valid point but if you are like me I don’t use that storage unit and I was thinking of developing a sub unit to fit as some of the M cars are fitted!

Talking of storage we are just about to release a bag which is designed for the Z3 that sits against the rear section behind the seat giving access to greater storage, map flap and drink holder.
Interested?
We will use the Roll Hoops to provide a fixing for straps supplied with the bag. This is still a few weeks away as yet.

Si
ImageImage
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

007 wrote: Talking of storage we are just about to release a bag which is designed for the Z3 that sits against the rear section behind the seat giving access to greater storage, map flap and drink holder.
Interested?
We will use the Roll Hoops to provide a fixing for straps supplied with the bag. This is still a few weeks away as yet.

Si
I like the sound of that but would want to ensure that it could be fitted in conjunction with the factory fit roll-hoop mesh wind deflector (I think I'm one of the few that prefers the BMW mesh one). Will the straps be thin enough to fit underneath?
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

The straps would only be about 25 mm wide but about 2mm thick; when we get closer to the final product i will put some pictures up for all to see.

We use a similar bag on the Honda S2000, this has hooks in the car fitted so it’s a simple task of fitting the bag, if you want to look closer at the details then please go to.
http://www.justroadster.com/products/st ... _bags.html

Cheers
Si 8-)
ImageImage
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:It looks to be just the thing for those Z3 owners who are homeless, and don't have a house to listen to their music in!

I hate all car stereos, as their owners always seem to inflict their dubious musical taste on others - in a sports car the problem is even worse, and no matter what people say, a Z3 is one of the worst places in which to listen to music.

Wow sometimes you just come across as an old miserable, moaning. whining, bitter etc....do they not have enought wine in France to cheer you up??
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

garythefish wrote: I just love Mikes comments :lol: :lol:
So do I ...most of the time he does get it right though
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Not Me

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I'm a bit old, but not miserable, moaning. whining, or bitter - I just have a bit of consideration for others, a quality which seems to be missing in many people these days!

Why should anyone think they have a right to inflict their (usually awful) taste in music on everyone else?

It's just a symptom of today's society, where the motto is 'Me first and always.'

If you want musak while you drive, why not get it through earphones, so the rest of us can enjoy silence? Think about it - would you enjoy it if us old people insisted on plying Gilbert and Sullivan, Land of Hope and Glory, or John Williams' greatest hits etc at about 90 db? You don't have to decide, simply because we have consideration for others.
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Not Me

Post by Hard Top »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Think about it - would you enjoy it if us old people insisted on plying Gilbert and Sullivan, Land of Hope and Glory, or John Williams' greatest hits etc at about 90 db?
:roflmao:

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

Yes that's what old age do's to you. Your lift is almost over so you won't to bring every one down to your missarble level. And if the technology was out in your younger days I would bet the world you would have it.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Old Age

Post by Mike Fishwick »

At the risk of going off-topic, we may be old, but we can spell and know how to use an apostrophe! what a sorry effort -

do's to you. (Does to you)

your lift is almost over (Life is almost over)

your missarble level (Your miserable level)

What is it about younger people these days? Perhaps it is the result of having your brain damaged by too much loud musak . . .
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

I prefer it my way grandpa. And your showing your age again moan moan moan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Hey up you guys when you have finished having ago at each other, would anyone like to comment on the Speakers and Bag specialy developed for you guys!! :head:

Si
ImageImage
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

I will be getting the speaker/wind blocker I think it looks top

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Thank you....at last a positive comment.
Don’t forget we give discount to all forum members on all our products. :D
And just for you Alan i will give you a very special deal as you are the first to consider buying.

Si
ImageImage
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

I like both products 007 and may look into them a little later on once the finances are a little more forgiving.
With regards to the music, I do like to unwind and drive my zed with the roof down, on a good stretch of road listening to some of my music.
If i, dare i say it, came across another zedder maybe of a slightly older age blasting out his/her Cat Stevens or Chris De Burgh , Im sure it will make me smile as i can respect and definitely relate to the joyous happy feeling he or she would be experiencing in their zed at that time. I cant think of a better day than a good stretch of road, good views, good female company, good food, good drink and chilled out music.
Just my thoughts.
Bring on the weekend :)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

I say each to their own; we all love the cars in different ways. I am almost 50 and still get a buzz out of a quick car and a good sound track, makes life worth living :drive
If you need any help or advise anyone is always welcome to call for a chat, I can talk Z3’s all day no worries.

When you get time have a look at the website www.justroadster.com we have some nice bits for the Z :wink:

Talk to soon when you are ready.
Si 8-)
ImageImage
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

I like the look of the bag. If the design is going to be the same as the Honda one, it would be great if the piping was available in different colours (or just make them all have a red stripe so it matches my car :D)

BTW you need to fix your website - the car listing has a picture of a Z4 for the Z3 section!!
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

VikingSven wrote:BTW you need to fix your website - the car listing has a picture of a Z4 for the Z3 section!!
...and some bigger pictures for my old eyes... (yes, old eyes, not ears).
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Mike Fishwick wrote:
Nope, I listen to music because 1). I,ve had to listen to music to drown out all the things wrong with my past cars, Allegros, Austain A40s, Minis, etc....2)Ive also spent my life on the road with constant 300 mile journeys. 3) it was better than listening to my ex-wife droning on. 4) Modern music makes me forget that im getting older.
I do turn the volume down to listen to the engine when im on the B-roads.
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Fishy needs a sub in the boot, and some Diddy Dirty Money......

"Hello, g'mornin"

cheers me up no end :drive
and my kids say I should know better! :lol:
Last edited by gookah on Wed 21 Jul, 2010 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Yes you’re right….. we have been doing a lot of work on the website just of late, I will point that out about the Z4 pic not Z3 pic....cheers for that. :oops:

All done now.....we are quick here you know. :P

Si 8-)
ImageImage

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

You guys that can't see the pics of the wind deflector, you are clicking on the picture or view details button?

This takes you to the bigger pictures and more info.
Si
ImageImage
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

007 wrote:Hey up you guys when you have finished having ago at each other, would anyone like to comment on the Speakers and Bag specialy developed for you guys!! :head:

Si

Sorry, i think the product looks of good quality and def a good idea. Not something i would go for as the mrs likes to fill the top box full of all sorts of junk she constantly wants to get to. (Mike not the best grammerer i knew but in rushed)

I would only a slight reservation of them getting pinched if i left the roof down for any amount of time. Hows easy is to get them out?
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

Yes if you can see them the seat should cover them from site so I think they will be fine
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

gookah wrote:Fishy needs a sub in the boot, and some Diddy Dirty Money......

"Hello, g'mornin"

cheers me up no end :drive
and my kids say I should know better! :lol:
You been stealing my iPod again? Last time I heard the music in you car you were listening to the panpipes CD (or even cassette) that Ron used to play! And you should know better listening to all that gangsta stuff, it doesnt make you an younger :shock:

Back to the wind deflector, I think its a good idea but would it vibrate from the bass coming from the speakers?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

To remove the wind deflector would be very hard if not imposiable due to the speaker covers being slightly larger than the hole in the hoop, you would have to remove all eight screws first and that would take to long! For anyone else having a Just Roadster Wind Deflector and worrying about it getting nicked, just put an electrical Tie Wrap over the Velcro it makes the job that more difficult to remove.

I have not had any trouble with vibration but the speaker won’t generate a lot of bass as it’s not in an enclosed large box. I was out today with the roof up and its surprising how little volume you need now as the speakers are right behind your head....they work really well, I wish now I had done it sooner :roll:
ImageImage