Rubber and Alloy

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BarneyBoko

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Rubber and Alloy

Post by BarneyBoko »

I am about change the boots on the Zed, I have had it just over two years and with only 30k on the clock I think they are the original equipment. They are down to about 3-4 mm and at the weekend I was sliding about a couple of times, so mind made up.

Whats on is the Dunlop sports and I am hoping to get the the Goodyear F1 Eagles (old style) only because they look good and many on here have reccomended them.

However i am considering a change to the wheels just to pump the car up a bit and obviously this would be the sensible time to do it. I dont have much of a preference, therefore would welcome any advice on size, style and where to get them. Currently on 225 - 50 - 16 each corner.

Many thanks
Barney
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Agree always best time to think about change of wheels is when changing tyres.

You have a plenty of options depending on your preferences but if it was me this is how I would look at it:

Size: you could go 17/18/19 inch. For me 19's generally look too big on a Z3. 17 was the biggest OEM choice but 18 is generally accpeted as the best choice of your going aftermarket. So if you want BMW OEM Z3 wheels then its 17 otherwise 18's

Fitment and offset: with a wide bodied Z3 like yours I would go for a "staggered" fitment. This basically means the rear alloys and tyres are wider than the front. Depending on the style of alloy you can get the classic "deeper" rim at the rear but in any event its always better to have a wider tyre on the rear of a RWD car :wink: So I would be looking for 8/8.5 fronts and 9/9.5 rears. Offset would depend on width but you generally need around 36-45 and can adjust with spacers( nb if you use spacers you will need to factor in longer bolts and locking nuts)

Price: you could either keep your eyes open for a nice set of second hand OEm Z3 17 inch wheels on here (I like the 5 spoke and split rim cross spokes) both of which are staggered fitment. They do come up from people on here changing for 18 inch aftermarket but you take a chance when or can ask if anyone has a set lying around they would sell? cost c£200 + factor in £70 per wheel refurb + rubber. If your buying new then so for 18 inch staggered. You can go new for between £400 and £700 but I would avoid those supplied with tyres and source your own (the supplied tyres tend to be crap). If you look at the premium brands (Schnitzer etc....) you can spend c£2k for their "base" lines or source refurbed split rims for c£1,000. Really depends on you budget.

I always factor in if I spend £1,000 on a set of Genuine refurbed schnitzer they will be worth £500 anytime I want to sell them. If I spend £500 on reps / unbranded they will be worth £100 if I want to sell them so it really depends on you funding requirements.

Best thing is to look through galleries on here at people cars and try to narrow down which ones you like.

Don't rule out Falken 452 tyres, everyone seems happy with them and they are great VFM (and look good as well :wink: )

To me half the fun is researching things like this, don't just rush in but take the trouble to learn about offsets etc... and it makes it a hell of a lot less confusing :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

My Zed had the 16" Z Star alloys (style 35 on the attached link) when I bought it, but changed to the staggered (7.5" front & 8.5" rear) upgrade BMW 17" 5-spokes (style 18) when I bought new tyres. Tyre sizes are as follows; front 225/45 x 17 and rear 245/40 x 17.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/bmwheelie/index.htm

There is much debate on the forum regarding tyre and wheel sizes, but as the biggest rims that were fitted by BMW originally were 17" diameter, I decided to stick with them. After all, it is how the car was designed. Fitting larger rims with lower profile tyres will make the car ride more harshly and wider tyres on the front (IMHO) will make any tramlining that the Zed is already prone to, worse.

As far as tyre choice is concerned, I fitted Falken 452's on the strength of other members recommendations and have found them to be excellent, both in the dry and the wet. I got mine just over a year ago and had change from £300, but most of the posts on here lately suggest that £325 - £350 a set (for 17" rims) is the norm.

I am sure that many other members will post here, each with their own opinion, but the end of the day, it depends on your personal taste . . . . I prefer a more standard looking car, where others prefer a more individual, modified look.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Bouldy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bouldy »

I have 19" staggered 9.5 rear and 8.5 front with Falken 452's...... no problems with either, all depends on which look you prefer there are lots of options 8-)
Last edited by Bouldy on Wed 04 Aug, 2010 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
BarneyBoko

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BarneyBoko »

Superb feedback from Johnttt and Mouldy.

Let me get this right, it looks like 18" is probably best and I should be wider at the back.

How do I achieve this ? is it different rim sizes or same rims bigger tyre.

And you reckon the Falkens are the pick of the bunch.

Looking to get this done by a week on Friday as I taking it for a 7 day roast around the north west.

Barney
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Don't forget that aftermarket wheels may be frowned upon by some insurance companies and are likely to attract higher premiums.

If you fit wheels that were originally a Z3 option, you will not need to tell your insurers as they could have been fitted at birth.

That's my take,I like to keep it standard within BMWs options.

Wheels are Style 18 staggered 17s.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I love the 5 spoke wheels. (and they are easy to clean) Image

Fair point as stated above, safer re insurance to stay OEM

You may struggle to source a set 2nd hand in your timeframe though as they will likely need a refurb as well :wink:
Last edited by Jonttt on Wed 04 Aug, 2010 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I spoke too soon :D
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

I have some staggered 5 spoke 17 in the garage, need tyres but in relatively good nick. pm if you are interested?
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Frank.A wrote:Don't forget that aftermarket wheels may be frowned upon by some insurance companies and are likely to attract higher premiums.

If you fit wheels that were originally a Z3 option, you will not need to tell your insurers as they could have been fitted at birth.

So am I incorrect by declaring my ACS Type I wheels as 'aftermarket wheels' to my insurer then as I understand that you could order these as an option from BMW when the car was new :shrug As I recall it didn't affect my premium too much however another insurer may think differently. Thoughts anyone....
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

myredzed wrote:
Frank.A wrote:Don't forget that aftermarket wheels may be frowned upon by some insurance companies and are likely to attract higher premiums.

So am I incorrect by declaring my ACS Type I wheels as 'aftermarket wheels' to my insurer then as I understand that you could order these as an option from BMW when the car was new :shrug As I recall it didn't affect my premium too much however another insurer may think differently. Thoughts anyone....
Depends on your insurance company. Non standard wheels on a previous car resulted in a 10% increase in the premium but although I had many non performance enhancing extras on my last motorbike, my insurers didn't charge any additional premium, yet another company refused to insure it as it was non standard. I was 52 years old at the time with 5 years NCB on my motorcycle insurance.

Insurance really is a bit of a lottery.
Last edited by Mouldy on Wed 04 Aug, 2010 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

myredzed wrote:

I would argue that a dealer supplied BMW approved option was a legitimate option,but I would tell the insurers as they aren't a standard BMW part in the same way as AMG options for Mercedes.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Thanks for the thoughts folks; I think I'll leave them declared as aftermarket then.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I would inform your insurer even if your sticking with BMW alloys, even if you are going from 16s to 17s. Its easy to say to yourself, well its all still BMW but I betya your insurer will see it as a modification from standard and could potentially refuse a claim.

Regarding wheel sizes, its a personal choice but I reckon 18s are just right. 19s just look too large. I was pleasantly surprised swapping 17s to 18s that the ride hasn't deteriorated and basically stayed the same :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Saw these on eBay - OEM 17" staggered wheels and tyres:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-BMW-Z3-E36-Refu ... 19be5abd44

Jonttt recommended a reasonably priced wheel courier who could collect and deliver them a couple of days ago.

Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Saw these on eBay - OEM 17" staggered wheels and tyres:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-BMW-Z3-E36-Refu ... 19be5abd44

Jonttt recommended a reasonably priced wheel courier who could collect and deliver them a couple of days ago.

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Those are the ones :D my fav OEM wheels apart from the split rims fitted as options to the later sport models but they are very rare 2nd hand.

I've just used them and they were great VFM

Pailsey Freight

£27 for 4x17inch alloys and tyres incl VAT next day delivery

Sender just has to wrap in bubble wrap. I would agree £40 with sender to include cost of wrapping ;-)
BarneyBoko

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BarneyBoko »

Now back at HQ and having had a chance to digest the info and advice.

I am currently running 225 - 50 - 16" on each corner, style 55, which are a five spoke wheel.

My preference having taken on the info would be to go for 18" multi spoke style, wider at the back.

Albeit, that I would like to have it done by next Friday, in time for the week long "summer tour" I now accept that it might be a bigger project than the time will allow.

So the choice is stick with the current wheels and fit a set of new boots, or take it a bit easier next week and wait to I can get what I really want.

Decisions ?

Barney
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If your tyres are legal I would wait until you get back and get the new alloys you want, otherwise you will always look at your wheels and wish you had changed once its in your head :wink: