bit of help please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swamper

M roadster S50

bit of help please

Post by swamper »

having just fitted the pipercross system i took it out for a spin and everything was fine.
so iv removed the rest of the plastic ducting from the car for the old system and decided to give it a bit of a clean in there.....when i fire her up again there was what sounded like a noise tappet ...........but after a minute the nose died down..
now the car is very lumpy on idle ........and running like crap..!
iv had a good look round to see if iv pulled something out while cleaning it..?
if while removing the old system iv pulled a sensor out..?
or something has got wet...?
iv been all over it but cant find anything amiss..........!
there are no warning lights on.
i know its hard over the net but anybody got any ideas.....?
ta
swamps
the badness makes me do it...!

BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

Disconnect the MAF and see if the lumpiness is still there. You may have over oiled the system causing damage / or dirtiness to MAF?
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

cheers ben ............i thought about that....disconnected the MAF and still lumpy..

dpbayly

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by dpbayly »

was there any chance something could have been sitting in the inlet pipe like a washer or something which has been sucked in through an inlet valve reason i ask is a couple of years ago we had an apprentice at work who did exactly that washer got wedged in the inlet valve and it made a right mess of the valve seat and valve, that caused a tapping noise and missfire. Ive got my fingers cross for you that you haven't made the same mistake.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

well its a strange one....
i removed the rocker cover as i was sure the noise came from there when i started her up...............all seemed to be correct...but there was a blocked oil inlet hole there ...very blocked!
when i started to clean it out it was rock solid all the way down and to the side in the spring was a large build up of the same stuff that seemed to be interfering with the spring......once cleaned and started up again she was purring like a kitten :wink:
cheers for the input chaps tho :)