Good re-proofer?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Good re-proofer?

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

Its been 2 years since I proofed the hood on the Zed and the proofer is just about wearing off :( When I did it before I used the Autoglym Kit but made a boo boo when spraying the proofer and it dried all over the windscreen and paintwork :oops: I'm thinking this time to buy a 5 litre bottle of tent proofer and applying it with a brush.

Would a tent proofer be any different to say Autoglyn or Renevo's proofer? Would a tent proofer be a no no for the Zeds hood or be OK to use?

Thanks,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I have used the Renovo Renovator and Proofer and no complaints.I haven't read any negative comments on Renovo products.

Definitely appliy with a brush or paint pad to avoid splatter,the Renovator in particular is a pig to remove from paint and glass.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

My advice entirely. I've used the Renovo hood re-colourer as well as the re-proofer, plus the cream for cleaning the plastic rear window.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

slight off topic here, but a member on another forum i go on has been trying to sell an autoglym kit for a while, she wants £7 plus £2 postage, but may even be open to offers on it. might be of use to someone. i would have snapped it up, but already have a kit here unopened

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/o ... iolet.html
Arctic Silver 1997 (r) 1.9 z3
justgeoff

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by justgeoff »

I have been using Renovo on boats and cars for 10 years, there is no compromise, dont fall into the trap of "penny wise pound foolish"
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks for the replies and advice. Looks like Renevo is the way to go :lol: I might redye the hood at the same time to match me hair :lol:

Cheers,

Tim.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote::I might redye the hood at the same time to match me hair :lol:

Cheers,

Tim.
Grey hood???
:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

gookah wrote:

Cheers,

Tim.
Grey hood???
Cheeky so and so :twisted: how did you guess :lol:

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Been looking on the Renevo website, for anyone who has used their product, would the 500ml be enough to do the Zeds hood? I'm thinking the dye and the proofer or would it be better to go for the 1litre?

Cheers,

Tim.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote:
gookah wrote:

Cheers,

Tim.
Grey hood???
Cheeky so and so :twisted: how did you guess :lol:

Tim.
Because like you, I still have my Renovo grey colourant.
I had to buy black for my son..... :head:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

When I did my previous roof I bought the 1ltr, bit left in the bottle but I did about 4 coats.

You really have to be careful with the stuff though the consistency is like water so "run city" if you're not careful.

I loosened off the clamps on the roof then put old sheets all around the sides and front then masked off the back section with newspaper.

I let the majority of the sheets drape over my seats inside in case anything dripped from the top (my roof isn't lined), with about a foot draping outside for any runs down the windows.

Once done re-tension the roof to stop any gathering of the product on the back creases.

Watch for overlapping brush strokes as obviously it will be darker there.

At least you're going faded black to black, I went beige to dark green so I really took the plunge :shock:

Hope this helps :)
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

snoops wrote:When I did my previous roof I bought the 1ltr, bit left in the bottle but I did about 4 coats.

You really have to be careful with the stuff though the consistency is like water so "run city" if you're not careful.

I loosened off the clamps on the roof then put old sheets all around the sides and front then masked off the back section with newspaper.

I let the majority of the sheets drape over my seats inside in case anything dripped from the top (my roof isn't lined), with about a foot draping outside for any runs down the windows.

Once done re-tension the roof to stop any gathering of the product on the back creases.

Watch for overlapping brush strokes as obviously it will be darker there.

At least you're going faded black to black, I went beige to dark green so I really took the plunge :shock:

Hope this helps :)
Thanks Snoops, yes thats a great help :lol: I think I will just go for the litre of each, its a bit pricey though :shock: The hood probably doesn't really need dying but I think while I'm at it, it won't do any harm. I thought I would try using a brush this time and use some old sheets to cover the bodywork and glass not forgetting the rear screen. Last time I used the proofer I merrily sprayed away in a force 10 gale :lol: Took me days to get it all off the glass and paintwork :shock:

Thanks again,

Tim.