Hang_em_high's bootlip spoiler (now fitted with pics)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Hang_em_high's bootlip spoiler (now fitted with pics)

Post by Hang_em_high »

At last it has arrived and as Titan said the paint finnish is spot on. Been out and offered it up and I think Titan is right in that it has to mount in that positon on the boot lid to give the spoiler full contact to the lid.
What I did notice though and will fit it in this way is that fitting the spoiler straight across does not look right as the boot lid curves. If you curve the spoiler slightly (and it does with ease as it's very flexible) it looks good from the overhead view.
Here it is stuck to my kitchen worktop just to give it a slight curve to make fitting easier

Last edited by Hang_em_high on Mon 23 Aug, 2010 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The spoiler looks good, but whatever you had for tea last night looks, erm, how shall I put this, disgusting. :lol:

When is it going on the car, and will it take you as long a Tim? :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

No it wont take me as long as Tim......................im planning on fitting it this year :lol:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

:roflmao: Very funny, it was actually 5 days ummmm I think :lol:

Looks great Hang em, can't wait to see it on the Zed.

I think you could get away with it being mounted a tad lower, mine is just on the edge of the boot curve but like I said I was a bit over cautious and didn't wish to stress the spoiler as wasn't sure how well it would stay adhered. The 3M stuff is VERY sticky though once you've cleaned the paintwork.

Regarding flexing the spoiler on the boot, I thought of this but again not sure how the paint would like being flexed too :shock: over time and again how well the 3M tape would hold, so I just played safe as didn't want it popping off in places. I did mount mine straight but if you look at my pics it does look curved as it obviously follows the boot shape, but it does look a bit of an optical illusion once on :lol:

Its great being a guinea pig!!

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Well I thought I better get it fitted in between rain showers or I wouldn't get chance to fit until Saturday and after the stick I gave and was given to Tim I'd never live it down :lol:
I decided to fit them by tacking it on at each end with the 3m tape pulled back slightly then when I was happy with the position I pulled on strip at a time.
Here's the first pic of it just lightly tacked on both ends.

You can see the slight curve that I put in it that follows the boot and bumper line when viewed from above

It may look out of position but I think that is a trick of the light reflections because to the eye it looks very correctly in position.
I can tell you it took me agaes with a ruler and constant tiny adjustments until I was happy ish with position. It was not a quick 5 minute job as I first thought it would be :lol:
Anyway I like it alot,see what you think :?:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Blimey you didn't waste any time :lol:

Looks great hang-em :thumb: glad your pleased with it and the quality looks spot on, I think its a great little mod on the Zed without drastically changing the looks :lol:

Looks Brill :drive

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

The positioning is spot on.It does look better following the line of the boot lid and bumper,definitely looks more OEM. :thumb:

Maybe it's the colour that is more appealing. :)

I have saved the pictures to see if it grows on me,but no immediate intention to follow suit.Maybe it will become the 'must have' accessory of 2010. 8-)

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Looks great :D

But wont it get pulled off in the car wash :shake:
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Looks very nice :wave
[/url]
ImageImageImage