Hardtop dilemas

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Hardtop dilemas

Post by kingy1 »

Unfortunately due to my son deciding that life with his girlfriend is not all its cracked up to be and him moving back home.

I now have to find somewhere for the Z hardtop, instead of it having its own bedroom!! :head:

Where do most people store their tops?

For me Its looking like it may have to go in the shed but i want to make sure its well protected, and also has anyone got any knowledge of where or how it can be fastened to the shed roof or wall?

Bloody kids :lol: :lol:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Kingy, if you can get the proper storage bag I think the straps will allow you to hang it from a wall or ceiling, so you could hang it off the garage wall or suspend it over your sons bed :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3-CONVERTIBL ... arParts_SM

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

Thanks tim, if you can also give me some tips on sons that wont get out the shower, want the telly remote, leave the lights on etc etc, would be much appreciated, just as life was getting eaasier!!! :shake: :shake:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

kingy1 wrote:Thanks tim, if you can also give me some tips on sons that wont get out the shower, want the telly remote, leave the lights on etc etc, would be much appreciated, just as life was getting eaasier!!! :shake: :shake:
Ahhh sorry, I don't have kids :lol: I would suggest the shed with inbuilt shower and keep the hardtop where it belongs :lol:

Tim.
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

It has crossed my mind but if i push for that, will probably end up in there myself if erindoors finds out. Mind you if i can get a telly in may not be a bad thing. Lol
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

kingy1 wrote:It has crossed my mind but if i push for that, will probably end up in there myself if erindoors finds out. Mind you if i can get a telly in may not be a bad thing. Lol
A shed with TV, beer fridge and hanging hardtop sounds good to me :lol:

Tim.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

As Tim says, the hardtop bag is designed to hang on a wall. The other alternatives are a hardtop stand - I have one of these and my hardtop lives in my FILs garage. And lastly, there is a hardtop hoist that allows you suspend it from the garage ceiling and lower it onto/lift it off the car.

I have no kids either, but I am crueller than Tim - keep the shed for your toys and make him live in a tent in the garden - he'll soon be on his way. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Robert T wrote:As Tim says, the hardtop bag is designed to hang on a wall. The other alternatives are a hardtop stand - I have one of these and my hardtop lives in my FILs garage. And lastly, there is a hardtop hoist that allows you suspend it from the garage ceiling and lower it onto/lift it off the car.

I have no kids either, but I am crueller than Tim - keep the shed for your toys and make him live in a tent in the garden - he'll soon be on his way. :D

Cheers R.
Talking of hoists, I'm waiting to see if jonttt uses his :roflmao:

Tim.
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

If your hardtop is Titan Silver I will look after it for you? :D
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

Sorry buddy the hardtop is black, and its going to be in the garden shed. Just wondered if anyone had got the type that hang on the wall. Are they quite protective? Cos kids bikes are in as well. If not it may have to be the shed roof one out the way!!
Either that or i will have to join G4s and keep guard over it :P
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Hi Kingy1
The BMW OEM cover has a handle a centre front and diagonal nylon strops that engage the two bayonet pins.
Rather than hanging vertically on the wall, this allows the roof to be mounted horizontally against the roof like this:

When it's off the car, it can take a lot of (bed)room up as you already know :shock:
Storing it against the garage ceiling makes it less obtrusive although as you can see, I had to move the strip light :!:

As for the kids, I use them to lift it in to place - having a resident 6'6" son does have some uses :D
Image :devil:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Pics of OEM cover and wall mounting (not very good pic but you get the idea), it does take 2 people to lift up though. I just used x2 robust wall hooks to hold it at the top handle which is designed for this. There are support straps which go through the rear "spikes" to spread the load.

and the OEM lift (I got this one second hand for £60 from memory :D )

this is what it will be like when fitted

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster