Is it wrong...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
simon-g

Z3 roadster 2.8

Is it wrong...

Post by simon-g »

...that im thinking about swapping the zed for one of these? I just feel like going for something thats alot newer and really do love my hot hatches. Decisions.

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Very wrong...

...you'd need a gas axe to turn it into a proper car and get the wind in your hair feeling again. :twisted:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

I like it alot and was recently very tempted myself to buy something very similar also badged Renault. But then I thought about it some and realised that after the lust had worn off I'd be bored of driving and looking at something which looks the same as everything else in the company car park.
My advice is dont do it,as you will regret it a few months down the road. :wink:
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

I can see the logic in getting one to go alongside the zed, but to replace it.....? :shake:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
joint.m91

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Re: Is it wrong...

Post by joint.m91 »

yep from my point of view your leaving bmw a german car for a crappy french thats a first 2 this car in 3 month after you buy it and do her tricks it will feel empty but zeds will always have their scent of everlasting
nobynom8ss

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nobynom8ss »

For what its worth
sorry to say that i had an mx 5 :dunce: and replaced it with an audi a3 2.0 tdi and for two weeks it was great then the sun came out .I then changed it for my z 3 :D and never looked back . DONT DO IT :head:
justgilly

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by justgilly »

Don't do it!!! I got rid of my Citroen even though it was a top of the range model , it was nowhere near as much fun and cost a fortune to service. :lol:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Eveyone on here will say don't do it as its a Zed forum :lol:

However I would say don't do it :wink:

French cars generally fall within the poor bracket, nice ride and quite refined, quality and reliability way behind the rest. You would be mad to swap for that heap in the photo, sorry :|

I had 2 Pug 207CC's both brand new in the space of 8 months. The problems I had with them was a disgrace. I learnt my lesson the hard way.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
dpbayly

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by dpbayly »

Im with Tim on this one, the modern French cars ie citroen peugeot and renault all in my experiance as a mechanic are plagued with electrical faults infact there engine management light spends more time on than off. If you must change the Z3 go for German ie Golf or new Corrado or Jap maybe type R or stretch to 350 or 370Z these are far more reliable.
simon-g

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by simon-g »

Ive test driven a Corsa VXR and Megane F1 recently, and have to say they do drive better than the Z3. The quality of the interior is much better in both of them compared to the zed, i dont think the z3 was bmw's best effort when it comes to quality. Saying that, it is 100x better than the MGTF that i had before it!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

simon-g wrote:Ive test driven a Corsa VXR and Megane F1 recently, and have to say they do drive better than the Z3. The quality of the interior is much better in both of them compared to the zed, i dont think the z3 was bmw's best effort when it comes to quality. Saying that, it is 100x better than the MGTF that i had before it!
Simon, not really sure how your comparing a modern hatchback to the Z3 for which the latest models are now some 8 years old :? It also depends what you mean by driving better? Regarding quality, are you thinking how it looks, squishy soft plastics as opposed to a throughly engineered well screwed together car. If its the latter then I would disagree how you come to the conclusion the Z3 wasn't BMW's best effort. I can compare my Z3 against the Corsa VXR pictured below, yes the VXR was more modern, it should be, yes it had squishy soft plastics and nice Recaro seats but thats all it had, aesthetics. Compared to the Z3 it really puts a modern Vauxhall to shame as a thoroughly engineered well built vehicle which the Corsa isn't. I had the VXR for 12 months for which the wing mirror housings cracked, the door trim came adrift, those nice Recaro seats came apart at the seams :shock: numerous rattles and an all or nothing power delivery called death. In my book thats not a quality product. The Zed compared to my 2010 1 Series is still a very well put together car.

If hot hatches float your boat then the seminal GTI should fit the bill.

Self cracking mirrors;

I would dread to think what the Megane would be like :|

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
simon-g

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by simon-g »

Thanks for that Tim, nice to read someones opinion thats owned both.

By bad build quality, bearing in mind my car has only done 39k miles and been garadged for most of its life, the electric window switch simply "pushed" downwards and out of place as I was using the drivers side electric window, new switch now needed. Passengers side mirror seized and snapped off as I tried to push it in when parking on the side of the road. The car leaks, around the drivers side and passengers side small window section, not to mention the massive gaps around the windows(been to BMW dealer, to which it wasnt much better when they had "fixed" it). The car also leaks around the rear centre brake light even after new seals have been put on it. Seats look sat out, when the car has only done a verified 39k miles. I get bits of leaves flying out through the air vents when the fan is put on, not great when it ends up in your eyes whilst driving. Random rattles coming from somewhere behind the dash, and around the roll hoops. Seats that shift back and forth when accelerating/decelerating. Quality of the plastics are horrible, more what id expect to see in an MG, not a BMW.

I know its getting on now, but i know the cars history and the people that owned it before, its hardly been used and stored in a garage, for weekend use.