Am I the only one?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Am I the only one?

Post by BonBon »

In order to mitigate getting rear ended, I always drive with my rear fogs on.
The lights are bright, and as there are two, it looks OK (ie not asymmetric)

Am I the only one? :nerd: :drive
Last edited by BonBon on Fri 03 Sep, 2010 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

"The law, as presented by The Highway Code, states that front and rear fog lights must not be used unless visibility is seriously reduced - which generally means when you cannot see further than 100 metres (328 feet) - and that they must be switched off once the visibility improves."

You might want to stop doing that :P

edit: just realised you're not in the UK. I'd still stop doing it as it's really irritating driving behind someone and being dazzled by their fog lights.
Last edited by VikingSven on Fri 03 Sep, 2010 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Sorry mate but in this country in non foggy conditions it's a pain in arse when following someone in non foggy conditions as its very dazzleing,distracting and also illegal I believe.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I thought only front fogs are a legal problem, as to me, rear fogs are no so dazzling when people in front have them on.
I'll check what the law is here.
It makes me wonder why they have separate switches. :?:
Mike123

M roadster S50

No, unfortunately!

Post by Mike123 »

Is this a p*ss take? I thought it was only Micras and Volvos!

The law, as presented by The Highway Code, states that front and rear fog lights must not be used unless visibility is seriously reduced - which generally means when you cannot see further than 100 metres (328 feet) - and that they must be switched off once the visibility improves.

You are causing nuisance and inconvenience to other road users by doing so, particularly with reflective road surfaces after rain, and at night, and increasing the risk of being rear ended as your brake lights will be less obvious.

Please either switch them off, or trade in the Z. :bad
Mouldy

Not specified

Re: Am I the only one?

Post by Mouldy »

BonBon wrote:In order to mitigate getting rear ended, I always drive with my rear fogs on.
The lights are very bright, and as there are two, it looks OK (ie not asymmetric)

Am I the only one? :nerd: :drive
I hope so!!!

IMHO high intensity rear fog lamps are overused. I understand their purpose when the weather conditions are severe enough to warrant their use, but at the first sign of slight mist, some drivers feel the need to switch them on and I find them a source of distraction and annoyance.

Forum members have commented in the past about the misuse of front fog lamps, but given that they should be aimed low with their light spread immediately in front of the car, I find them significantly less distracting than the rears.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Rear fogs on in good visibility makes me want to rear end them !!!
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

What a flood of emotion!!!

This will surely bring the best out of Mike. :wink:

BTW - There is (perhaps was) an additional reason - I always drive with my lights on - and during the day there is no indication on the panel that the lights are on...... more convenient than looking closely at the headlight switch.
tanman_sg

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tanman_sg »

The rear fogs are bleeding bright and you're more likely to confuse people, so they won't know if you're on or off the brakes
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

BonBon wrote:What a flood of emotion!!!

This will surely bring the best out of Mike. :wink:

BTW - There is (perhaps was) an additional reason - I always drive with my lights on - and during the day there is no indication on the panel that the lights are on...... more convenient than looking closely at the headlight switch.
Turn them off quick before Mike finds out :lol:
Still modifying
Mike123

M roadster S50

Lights

Post by Mike123 »

" - I always drive with my lights on - "

Are you sure you don't drive a Volvo rather than a Z3? :wink:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

One of my pet hates, its not only inconsiderate but dangerous, especially at night, there must be something about drivers in the UK who think its normal to switch front fogs on and use them as driving lights in clear conditions, thick comes to mind :head: Even worse using rears in daylight as it can be hard to tell if a vehicle is braking at times. Its just common sense which is lacking for many.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Please "spell-out" the reference to Volvo drivers.
Did I miss a crucial episode of "Top Gear"?

Here in the winter (November-April) headlights must always be on. Due to the dreary conditions in the UK, I'm surprised that lights are not imposed all year round - especially dangerous are the "tree-rich' side roads.

(there is a high percentage of local drivers who think tailgating is an Olympic sport - so if some a**hole thinks my brakes are on - all the better. When I really brake I have the additional pair and the third brake light)
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

BonBon wrote:Please "spell-out" the reference to Volvo drivers.
They are total knobs as well.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Aren't all Z3 drivers, who use a classic phallic symbol as a mode of transportation, knobs?

(That should arouse a few colleagues :pc)
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

Jonttt - is this you pretending to be a complete tw*t from Israel for a laugh? :roll:
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

I thought everybody knew that rear fog-lights are switched on in September and off in June. That's according to the knob head's handbook, just below the section on never using your indicators unless you're parked half on the pavement and half on the road in which case they may be used in "hazard" mode as magic parking lamps. :dunce: :head:
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

BonBon wrote:Aren't all Z3 drivers, who use a classic phallic symbol as a mode of transportation, knobs?
:?: :?: :?:

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Really not sure where this is going :?

Tim.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

TitanTim wrote:Really not sure where this is going :?

Tim.
Downhill fast ;)
rgf

Not specified

Post by rgf »

I haven't the foggiest
Antoninus

Z3 roadster 3.0i

rear fog lights

Post by Antoninus »

I bet you also pull up to the lights in the right hand lane, then just as they turn green you indicate to turn right! grrrrrrrrrrr
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Lets not lose sight of this being a friendly forum please :wink: despite differences of opinion :)
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

rgf wrote:I haven't the foggiest
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tim.
Mad Max

blank

Re: Am I the only one?

Post by Mad Max »

BonBon wrote:Am I the only one? :nerd: :drive
I wish you were the only one.

You've got to be a proper idiot to think that's a good idea in anything other than foggy conditions, I mean - why else would they call them FOG lights?

Dear god, let this be a wind up... if you want to "mitigate" the chances of getting rear ended, paint it up like a police car or wrap it up in bubble wrap or even park it in a garage and never let it see the light of day...
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Mike123 wrote:Jonttt - is this you pretending to be a complete tw*t from Israel for a laugh? :roll:
:twisted: (actually I've been playing golf at Celtic Manor for 2 days before the Ryder cup starts :D )

I think this is a classic case of cultural differences.

Bonbon has no real way of knowing what a big issue this is in the UK :?:

It was "misty" in Wales on Friday morning when I arrived at Celtic Manor and the number of cars driving around on Saturday night with their fog lights on was laughable ie they had turned them on on Friday morning and forgotten to turn them off, always the same for days after a foggy day :head:

Front foglights on all the time has always been a problem in the UK but no so much the rears in my experience.

I used to have fun with my scoobies fitted with full driving lights, I'd drop behind a car with their fog lights on an turn on the driving lights to see how they liked to really be dazzled :evil:

The new LED "running" lights started by Audi seem to have only made things worse as manufacturers now seem to be having a competition to see how can make the brightest, I was followed by a "60" plate VXR Astra yesturday and could not believe how bright the running lights were in full daylight, they would be frieghtening at night!

Anyway I think the answer to the OP's original question is that its not a good idea to run with any fog lights on in anything other that very poor visability as it is just dangerous to other road users and one of the most selfish acts I can think of in a car (ie I'm alright and sod everyone else).
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Jonttt wrote:The new LED "running" lights started by Audi seem to have only made things worse as manufacturers now seem to be having a competition to see how can make the brightest
I've been followed by Audi's with these a couple of times now.

Have you noticed that they automatically dim when the indicators are used, presumably because they obscure the front indicator from being seen. :shock:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Gazhyde wrote:Have you noticed that they automatically dim when the indicators are used, presumably because they obscure the front indicator from being seen. :shock:
I'm contemplating a set of LED sidelights for the frog - the indicators double as side-lights and I have seen some LED lights that have both yellow and white LEDs in them - they are white when in sidelight mode, then when you turn the indicator on, the sidelight part goes off and it flashes yellow until you turn the indicator off again - I thought these would be safer than just having the bulb flash brighter with a second filament. :idea:

I drive around with my front fogs on, but only when my both my headlights bulbs have blown. :head:

I'd like one of those LED scrolling signs - in the UK I would only need two messages - "turn your sodding foglights off" and "use the bloody handbrake" - the latter for my other pet hate of people who sit with their foot on the footbrake at traffic lights in the dark - absolutely ruins your night vision if you are sat behind them in a low car.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Fog lights on when not needed are a pain in the butt.
So too are HID's even when they are needed at night.
Way OTT in dazzle to other oncoming drivers.
I'm surprised they're legal.
Anyone that can't see well enough at night with mere halogen headlights shouldn't be driving.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
DomS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by DomS »

BonBon wrote: there is a high percentage of local drivers who think tailgating is an Olympic sport
Could it be that they are a little unhappy that you have your fog lights on - do they flash their full beam at you as well?

If someone rear-ends you, it's probably because they're texting with their mobile or have fallen asleep etc. Either way, they're generally in the wrong for not allowing sufficient braking distance (not to mention texting or sleeping etc!).

By having your rear foglights on, you not only irritate all the good drivers, but you also give a potential rear-end shunter an opportunity to try and shift the blame "I came round the bend and was blinded by those rear foglights"!

If it's not foggy, turn them off ...there's a good chap.
:wink:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Now that everyone had the opportunity to gang up on me - I thought I'd have another critical look at the rear fogs:
During the day, it is so bright here, there is no real difference.
At night the fogs are also not much brighter than the rear lights. But.... one of my rear fogs is less bright than the other - so it appears that either the bulb(s) is/are covered in soot or the lenses have a thin layer of dust on the inside.
Nevertheless, to comply with the emotion displayed here (and an obvious pet peeve in the UK) I will comply with forum's overwhelming recommendation.
I'll clean out the lenses/bulbs and NOT turn on the rear fogs unless the conditions are poor.
I will sorely miss a dash indication that the lights are on during the day.

........and my Dad always told me that "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" :wink:
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Yipee we can all go to Israel now.
Mike123

M roadster S50

Well said BonBon!

Post by Mike123 »

Welcome back! :cheers