Z3 Ford V8 conversion

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
markrnorton

Other roadster

Z3 Ford V8 conversion

Post by markrnorton »

Well the supercharger has now gone…. RIP. It sold very quickly, but I still have a ton of bits for the M44 engine. 230hp was good, but was never going to be enough.

Anyhow, impulse buy maybe, lack of V8 definitely.

Here’s the crack. M60 V8 4.0 into my 1.9 pre-facelift Z3. Its going to be tight but I think it will fit ok with a bit of time, care, thought and large hammers and grinders.

First off, Had a clear up of the garage and moved stuff about to give myself as much room all the way round, and moved my tools and benches to.

Managed to buy a complete M60 engine from another chap on another forum, complete with loom, ecu’s, radiator etc. A full cut out.

Collected it in my mates van, completely filled it up ! its massive, physically huge. Glad I had an engine hoist, no way was this baby going to be man-handled.

Engine was removed from an early 740i auto. So no manual box with it, just left with the torque convertor and auto flywheel. This is really the biggest problem. Well no, one of the biggest problems.

List of current problems :-

Sourcing a gearbox to fit the V8 – this is limited, any V8 box from a 3.0 4.0 or 4.4 will fit , 5 or 6 speed. But they are rare and pricey second hand. I was told an M3 evo box will fit, but this, so far as I can tell is only true of a run covering 14 months of the last of the e36’s, so even rarer !

Flywheel – same rarity as gearbox, new dual mass around £350

Clutch – new around £250

Exhaust manifold clearance around steering column and abs unit. – these are both solvable.

Sump clearance over crossmember – luckily I have an early flat sump lump, but it will still be tight.

Engine mounts – these will have to be fabricated – easy.

Rear diff – Need an E30 lsd 3.25 ratio, maybe longer in which case I will swap to an M diff at 3.15

Prop – cut and shut to suit gearbox/diff combo – easy.

The main issue is the gearbox, whether to bite the bullet and go for a pukka V8 manual box from a 540i and clutch/flywheel at a cost of circa £1200
or current favour, use an m3 box with my m3 clutch and graft a fresh piece of steel to the auto flywheel and attach the m3 clutch cover to this. Then have the assembly balanced. This would then leave me to make a bellhousing to mate the M3 box to the V8 engine.
Believe it or not the m3 box avenue would run me around £300-500, and still be upto the job. Probably lighter too as the box is smaller.

Quite a lot to disconnect, especially with all the electrical connections.

Anyhow, started removing the M44 engine, half out, I will completely remove it later.

Got to sort this gearbox issue !!
Last edited by markrnorton on Fri 01 Oct, 2010 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Still modifying
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

watching this with interest :)
the badness makes me do it...!

shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

awesome...i'll be keeping an eye on this!!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

:note_to_self: must arrange a deano1712 vs markrnorton shootout at next year's Santa Pod show :wink:

As always, looking forward to keeping up with progress Mark :bow
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

myredzed wrote::note_to_self: must arrange a deano1712 vs markrnorton shootout at next year's Santa Pod show :wink:

As always, looking forward to keeping up with progress Mark :bow
note to self... must fit 200hp nitrous kit to duff up other v8's hahaha
Still modifying
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

In that small garage...you must be nutts...best of luck with it and dont forget to keep us updated regularly! I fancy an S85B50 V10 conversion if you fancy giving it a go for me next :D
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Stock

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Pity BMW never offered a stock V8 version, instead of the M roadster - it would have been a real seller in the USA, and with the weight behind the axle line handling should be great.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Well done Mark, watching with interest :)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

looks cool. will keep an eye on this
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Dare I ask... but wasn't the 4.0 V8 Nikasil?
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

Mark, you are a loon !!!

Out of interest.. Doesnt the 4.0 only make around 250bhp? 4.4 around 280bhp?

If you are going for more than 230bhp are you planning a roots or other type of blown induction as an old 740i engine is likely to only make what you had before, plus wont it weigh a little more than the 1.9?

Are you going to be able to reuse the exhaust you fabricated before or will you need a proper dual exit? If so what are you going to do about the rear floor pan as the non M chassis has a load of crap in the way. Pretty sure you can strip it out though.

Really dont mean to sound critical as I have a huge amount of respect for you and you clearly know what you are doing, unlike most posters on Pistonheads (Damn that crappy forum :head: )!
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Mad Max wrote:Dare I ask... but wasn't the 4.0 V8 Nikasil?
yes the 4.0 was a nikasil, this one was replaced under recall/warranty.

so no issues
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

skeete wrote:Mark, you are a loon !!!

Out of interest.. Doesnt the 4.0 only make around 250bhp? 4.4 around 280bhp?

If you are going for more than 230bhp are you planning a roots or other type of blown induction as an old 740i engine is likely to only make what you had before, plus wont it weigh a little more than the 1.9?

Are you going to be able to reuse the exhaust you fabricated before or will you need a proper dual exit? If so what are you going to do about the rear floor pan as the non M chassis has a load of crap in the way. Pretty sure you can strip it out though.

Really dont mean to sound critical as I have a huge amount of respect for you and you clearly know what you are doing, unlike most posters on Pistonheads (Damn that crappy forum :head: )!
Loon ? calculated mentalist maybe :)

the 4.0 and the 4.4 both made 286hp, torque was slightly improved on the 4.4. The 4.0 actually revs a bit better than the 4.4 so hopefully job done. Once re-mapped it should, with a few other tweeks make over 300hp.

V8 weighs about 50kgs more than 4 cylinder, i have removed the heavy a/c pump and other bits of 'gubbins', so reducing weight all the time.

I will have to fab a new exhaust , so the old one is out. but this is not an issue really. The non M has a load of crap in the way ?? do you mean the spare wheel carrier ? This was removed from my car ages ago, so the rear underside bootwell is pretty clear. with some clever pipe and box work the exhausts will fit easy.

alot of work yes, but it should make decent hp and still be balance and reasonabley lightweight.
Still modifying
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Bet you cant wait to fire it up for the first time....

Dont worry about the power... I reckon the sound will keep the smile on your face not the bhp 8-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

markrnorton wrote: Loon ? calculated mentalist maybe :)

the 4.0 and the 4.4 both made 286hp, torque was slightly improved on the 4.4. The 4.0 actually revs a bit better than the 4.4 so hopefully job done. Once re-mapped it should, with a few other tweeks make over 300hp.

V8 weighs about 50kgs more than 4 cylinder, i have removed the heavy a/c pump and other bits of 'gubbins', so reducing weight all the time.

I will have to fab a new exhaust , so the old one is out. but this is not an issue really. The non M has a load of crap in the way ?? do you mean the spare wheel carrier ? This was removed from my car ages ago, so the rear underside bootwell is pretty clear. with some clever pipe and box work the exhausts will fit easy.

alot of work yes, but it should make decent hp and still be balance and reasonabley lightweight.
Just goes to show why you are doing it and I am not.. Clearly you have done your homework.

300bhp with a massive amount of torque will be immense.

Its the torque of this which will be interesting..

Z3 1.9 Torque = 133 ft-lb 138 hp
Z3 2.8 torque = 207 ft-lb 193 hp
Z3 3.0 torque = 220 ft-lb 231 hp
Z3M 3.2 Torque = 251 ft-lb 321hp
Z3MN 4.0 Torque = 295 ft-lb 282 hp

I dread to think how quickly you could go through a set of tyres or chew your 1.9 diff to pieces.. but it would be a lot of fun finding out :twisted:
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Always do your homework !!

I have had loads of V8's over the years, including Bmw's 540i and 840ci so i know roughly whats going on in the engine dept there.

What is unknown will be the way the car will react to the torque and what diff i select at the back end

It will take a bit of time and development i guess
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

what a weekend !

Post by markrnorton »

Well
what a weekend, complete disaster.

First off, i removed the sump from the engine, perhaps i should have checked , but it was still full of old crappy oil. argghh, who takes an engine out without draining down . oil went everywhere, all over my garage floor. took an hour to clear up.

still. cleared most of the engine bay of brackets and bits, ground them back, will fill and gloss the engine bay once i have things sorted.

had the engine in and out about 5 times, measuring, checking clearances, bonnet line etc.

well, the final answer is..... it wont fit. its just too tall, even dropping the x member. i could dry sump, this would give me about 50mm extra clearance, but it would still be tight.

plan B into operation today.
i think the M60 not fitting may have been a blessing in disguise

bring on plan B, collect it this saturday.

Still modifying
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

What's that then Mister?
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

That be a Ford 281 V8, 4.6 litres, (mustang engine)

one of my mates is well into americano, this engine is compact and can produce good power

wey hey
Still modifying
z3_v8

Other roadster

Re: what a weekend !

Post by z3_v8 »

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Data

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Mark - do you envisage any problems in arranging the data link from the immobiliser to the engine management system? As I understand things, it is a rolling code, which must agree between both units to get a start.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mark, be careful of the Mustang 4.6 Modular engine, it's quite wide.

Standard BHP of the 1995 - 2004 4.6 Mod engine is around 225, are you sure it's worth the hassle ?

Later 4.6's produce 320 ish BHP in standard form.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
markrnorton

Other roadster

Re: Data

Post by markrnorton »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Mark - do you envisage any problems in arranging the data link from the immobiliser to the engine management system? As I understand things, it is a rolling code, which must agree between both units to get a start.
Mike, not quite sure which engine management system to run with yet, more than likely it will be stand alone. I'll breach the electrics later and save the fun 'til the end.
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

garythefish wrote:Mark, be careful of the Mustang 4.6 Modular engine, it's quite wide.

Standard BHP of the 1995 - 2004 4.6 Mod engine is around 225, are you sure it's worth the hassle ?

Later 4.6's produce 320 ish BHP in standard form.
this is a late engine, with potential for easy tuning from some choice american parts. so i'm aiming for around the 350hp mark with the tuning.

it is wide, but its slightly less than the bmw v8, wide wasnt the issue, it was height, and the ford v8 is much shallower than the bmw unit.

its worth the hassle as parts for this as sooooo cheap from the states. far easier to tune, plus its brand new, never run.
Still modifying
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Worth the hassle if it's the later engine :wink:

Superchargers are easily available to :wink:
Gazza

ImageImage
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

yep later engine, less hassle than tuning the bmw v8, and yes off the shelf blowers from the states. bolt on power !!
Still modifying
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

It looks like a great project Mark. The engine does look at bit wide, but also seems the exhaust ports are coming out already facing 45 degrees down. If so it will be easy to get the headers down without adding much to the overall width. The LSx has the ports facing close to outboard so the header tubes ned to go through at least 80 degrees. A standard 90 degree tube bend adds more width than a 45 degree tube bend. Anyway I'm sure you have fun trying. :thumb:
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

The engine is no wider than the M60 bmw lump, but yes the heads are quite tilted so the exhaust headers drop straight down, should be nice n easy

famous last words ........
Still modifying
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Now for sale £6000 Ono
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Tori wrote:Expensive but.................... 8-)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Alpina-3-3-En ... 230a16bee1
but..... girlie six :wink:
Still modifying
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

lol :roll: :D
Now for sale £6000 Ono
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

V12

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It seems odd that the M60 was too high for a Z3 - perhaps it is a particularly high engine, as BMW had a Z3 with a 5 litre V12 running around the Munich factory ages ago, wihtout any obvious modifications tothe bonnet.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Not sure why it would be odd Mike, it doesnt follow that the V8 would fit if the V12 does ??

The m60 has the oil collected at the front of the sump, and this clashed with the crossmember and the steering rack. Simple really
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Right, as usual i am upgrading the brakes before the engine, it always seems a sensible way around as if you do it after it doesnt always get done, and that can be dangerous !

Phase 1 was to sell my 2.8i front set-up, done that and they moved quick !!

Phase 2 is calipers

Phase 3 discs

i have just started phase 2. bought some calipers, not well known over here but big in the states and germany. WP

here's a pic

i am hoping they will work with the current master cylinder, but i think that may be optimistic.
I also have to fabricate a bracket to mount these radial calipers to lug mount on the carrier. shouldnt be to difficult as i have done this before on previous vehicles.

these big 6 pots should provide good feel with some excellent clamping.

just need to sort some discs before i fab the mounts
Still modifying
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

holy crapoly! You are going to need a master cylinder from a dump truck with those, they look massive !

Are you sure you are going to be able to fit them as they look like they were designed for discs about 400mm!

Will be interesting to see how you mount them on the carriers and how you fabricate a carrier the big.

Have you had anymore thoughts on if you need a meatier MS and where you would get it from and then how you would fit it in the Zed given you are already squeezing in a rather tasty V8?

As always, I am impressed and jealous :-( makes me sad that I cant afford and more importantly do something this ambitious.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I have been looking at setting up the brakes on my conversion. One issue is that you need to know the axle weights (post conversion) before you know what brake balance you are going to need. You cant tell if the master cylinder needs changing until then.

What size pistons are in those calipers? Can you post a link to them I haven't seen them in my searches? I have a rather fancy spreadsheet to assess brake performance and tyre adhesion. I can plug the numbers in and see what is says. What is the master cylinder now? 1.9? Piston sizes are available at conti-online.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

But the master cylinder essentially just matches the piston size(s) in the calipers to ensure the pedal stroke/movement isn't too little or too much? I thought brake balance was done by virtue of the caliper/disc size and maybe load bias valves?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You can get a manual variable bias valve
Gazza

ImageImage
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Not sure of the piston sizes, i'll mike them up tomorrow and post.

http://www.wpprobrakes.com is the website, these calipers are meant to work fine with standard rear setup.

running 1.9 m/c at present, wel'll see how it goes with the pedal travel and bias .

i am going for 325mm discs , i didnt want to go massive.
Still modifying
Dolfan

M roadster S50

Post by Dolfan »

I'm really enjoing the read :thumb:
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Had a bit of a session with the brakes today, mounted the new discs. they look about right under the 18" wheels.
325mm diameter , 330i fitment

the pistons on the calipers measure 24.8mm diameter and mounting up the caliper to disc they will need a bracket approx 20mm x 60mm in section. i say approx as i will need to do a full mock=up to get it on the disc exactly right.

plenty of clearance for the caliper to wheel spke though, 5mm, so thats one less problem.
Still modifying
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Looks good Mark.

Info I can find shows the standard 1.9 has 23.81/20.62mm master cylinder. Discs 286/272 and caliper pistons 54 and 36mm (rear). Static brake bias for the standard car works out at 62% front 38% rear.

These calipers have quite small pistons - 3 x 24.8. I'm guessing the caliper bore is 25.4mm which gives 44mm dia effective. This will give you a lot more rear bias - 57% front 43% rear.

I think you will be in the right ball park with this. The standard M has a more rearward bias - 58/42 and you will move the CofG rearwards with the SB Ford. 57/43 seems a good figure. Leave the master cylinder alone. If you end up with too much rear bias go for 345mm M3 CSL discs on the front - happy days!!
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Happy days indeed, managed to find and buy a new manual gearbox for the motor. Just have to go to Norwich at the weekend to pick it up
Still modifying
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

markrnorton wrote:Happy days indeed, managed to find and buy a new manual gearbox for the motor. Just have to go to Norwich at the weekend to pick it up
Hey thats my neck of the woods, where abouts in Norwich is it ?
Now for sale £6000 Ono
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

My neck of the woods too. Live 15 miles from Norwich.

Very interesting read and dean's too.

best of luck to you both
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Had a full measure up of the brakes this morning, done a few sketches and mock-up.

Bracket now drawn up and ready for machining

Going to use T6 aluminium and helicoil the threads into the block.

just need to get a cost now for the machinework
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Well a bit more work today, started stripping back the redundant wiring loom from the engine bay. As i will be using a separate ECU to run the engine and not the BMW one, i am taking the oppotunity to clear the bay of any extraneous items.

There are many many wires within the boxing and black heat shrink.

I have also interogated the multiplug engine connector to see exactly what i need left.

before

after trimming !

As you can see, there's not much left after the trimming. I will cut off the multi-plug and solder the connections direct once i can work out the new length of cable required.
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

After measuring up, i have got the same problem as the other Mark (Deano) and his Z3M V8 conversion and the ABS pump.

The nearside head and exhaust manifold on my Ford engine just clip the ABS pump, so i have to do the same re-location exercise.

My Zed appears to be a bit clear than the M version, but the same problems exist. Cutting and shutting the brake pipes and re-welding the mounts for the ABS units new position.

Unbolts and removes easy enough, fluid drips everywhere !!

Cut the mounts off the inner wing and trimmed them suitabley, then re-located position marked and the areas ground back to bare metal ready for welding.

I also noticed that the inner wing is spot welded, so i am now, as i progress areas around the car, going to seam weld where i can to strengthen the shell and frame.

With the old brackets welded into place, i cleaned up the area and spray primed it ready for a coat of Boston green paint tomorrow.

Its looking ok, once i am happy with the whole engine bay i will re-spray it all gloss, so its nice and shiny.

I have next got to connect the brake lines back in, this requires a bit of joinery and bending, but its all easy enough with the right tools.

Watch this space.....
Still modifying
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

I am gob smacked. Really enjoying this thread. :thumb:

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller