steering wheel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
steve-1965

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

steering wheel

Post by steve-1965 »

Hi, could anyone tell me what year the air bag changed to the two stage system. Mine is a 2000 reg and I'm lookig to get an original replacement. The one fitted looks really 'cheap' with plastic colour coded centre.

Thanks
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I believe that the change to 2 stage airbag occured in 04/99,so check your build date whcih should be on driver side front suspension turret.If not then put the last 7 digits of the cars VIN into RealOEM to obtain build date.
As your car was registered in 2000 itis more than likely to have the 2 stage system.
Which wheel is fitted at the moment.Here is a link to the Z3 spec. site steering wheel options.

http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3 ... wheels.htm

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
steve-1965

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

steering wheel

Post by steve-1965 »

Hi, thanks for the link and reply, it as got one of the 2 tone wheels fitted, with black rim and blue plastic centre (bottom bit). This is a bit chipped in places and looks naff! Will any late e36, e46 wheel fit?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Is this the one in the picture below.If so they are quite rare and not as heavy looking as the standard wheel.You can replace the lower cover with different colours including black.The covers aren't cheap but cheaper than another wheel.I bought a standard wheel but after trying it,changed back to this one.

It's all a matter of taste said the cat licking it's a**e. :)

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: steering wheel

Post by Jonttt »

steve-1965 wrote:Hi, thanks for the link and reply, it as got one of the 2 tone wheels fitted, with black rim and blue plastic centre (bottom bit). This is a bit chipped in places and looks naff! Will any late e36, e46 wheel fit?
Steve, an e36 wheel should fit as the part numbers including the slip ring are the same across the Z3 and e36 range.

The main issue people have with the Z3/e36 wheels are they are too big a diameter and too thin.

The later BMW wheels recognised this and several models later came with smaller and thicker wheels (like the Z4). The problem is that BMW changed its design for mounting these wheels (partly due to advances in technology eg the way the indicator stalks work which required a redesigned slip ring) Therefore these are not a stright fit. People have fitted them but it involves some significant modifications to mount them.

If your issue is not the size of the wheel then the cheapest / best option IMHO is to have your current wheel recovered in new leather. These can be professionaly done for c£120, resulting is a "thicker" as new wheel.

There where some good thread on this recently if you search them out.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
steve-1965

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

steering wheel

Post by steve-1965 »

Thanks for the replies, yes it is the wheel in the picture, didn't know it was rare. Think the main problem with mine is the blue bit looks tired/chipped, are these just painted, can these be refurbed, do they come off seperately?

Thanks
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Steve,
The trim is attached by screws from the back.I certainly haven't seen many of these wheels,they may be part of the individual package and where also an option.
There is one on ebay with silver trim and no airbag for around £55 delivered.This is cheap for a BMW steering wheel.The trim price is more than this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E39-E46-3-5-S ... 20b3697f3b

steve-1965

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

steering wheel

Post by steve-1965 »

The actual rim on mine is in ok condition, think I'd better stay with the blue, the console etc is blue...does this mean mine is an individual model?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Steve,
If you check the nearside top chassis leg VIN plate,mine says BMW Individual.I don't know if that appears on all VIN plates or it is dependant on original order options.

As Jonttt said getting the rim professionally recovered is an option for a normally worn wheel,but if your rim is good and you like the wheel why not just replace the trim.

If you check ebay for 'BMW steering wheel trim' there are some ith low starting price.Check part numbers with seller.

IMHO the wheel we have looks more in keeping with a sports car than the standard wheel which is fine in a 3 or 5 series saloon.

Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

I agree with Frank the standard wheel suits the retro style of the Z3.

Also the diameter is matched to the effort required to turn it.

Just my opinion :)
steve-1965

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

steering wheel

Post by steve-1965 »

Thanks for that, search now on for replacement blue trim!

Steve