clear indicators for headlight

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Treble5dog

Z3 roadster 2.8

clear indicators for headlight

Post by Treble5dog »

Just in case you are unaware you can purchase the clear indicators that go in the headlight for £28 from BMW saves paying more by sending abroad for them with custom and excise's 80 Euros for the lenses is a bit steep :mrgreen: ( The price of clear side indicators are £7 each from BMW) which isn't bad either
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

:shock: :shock: :shock: *cough* *splutter*

since when?!?!?!

the z3 headlights are sealed hence they would always (well, previously, by the sounds of it) only sell the whole shebang!

and the side repeaters - you mean the repeaters or the sidelights? cos if it's the repeaters, for £7 each, that's insane - aftermarket ones cost £30! i just checked a load of places today! how on earth are they making any money ?! :shock:
RIP '98 Arctic Silver 2.8!

Supersprint exhaust * UUC SSK * Clear rears/fronts/sides * Aluminium bee sting aerial * KW coilovers
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Re: clear indicators for headlight

Post by Kiwi »

Treble5dog wrote:Just in case you are unaware you can purchase the clear indicators that go in the headlight for £28 from BMW saves paying more by sending abroad for them with custom and excise's 80 Euros for the lenses is a bit steep :mrgreen: ( The price of clear side indicators are £7 each from BMW) which isn't bad either
Wow - that would be a revelation indeed if it was the actual indicator lens insert for the headlight assembly. Treble5dog - have you got any more details e.g. part number, dealership which sells them?

Although I've already used the ones from the US - cost US$100 - I'm interested nevertheless 'cos I would be very surprised if BMW came out with these (as muffles said).
Treble5dog

Z3 roadster 2.8

Clear indicators

Post by Treble5dog »

This is the information from BMW PARTS DEPARTMENT when I called, I found it hard to believe myself, but I have put an order in for the lenses and the side repeaters which I will be picking up Wed or Thu this week so unless the parts dept were on magic mushrooms at the time I will be getting back to you with good news
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

which dealer did you use mate? did you get a part number(s) at all? i don't mean to sound like i don't believe you or anything, it's just that they have never been available separately, so obviously it needs confirming if they have started to! :)

Supersprint exhaust * UUC SSK * Clear rears/fronts/sides * Aluminium bee sting aerial * KW coilovers
Andre_z_3000

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Andre_z_3000 »

It's strange I know in my case I'm pretty sure my z came from the dealer with clear lights all round, since the owner before me definitely wasn't the modding type at all, and clear lights were never offered in Oz (i think in the US it was on 2000+ models?), so maybe it is a dealer thing afterall.

Here's a Piccy:

Treble5dog

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Treble5dog »

I will get back to you with the part numbers as soon as I go and pick up the items. The dealers are Castle motors in york. Will let you know how I get on
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

Andre_z_3000 wrote:It's strange I know in my case I'm pretty sure my z came from the dealer with clear lights all round, since the owner before me definitely wasn't the modding type at all, and clear lights were never offered in Oz (i think in the US it was on 2000+ models?), so maybe it is a dealer thing afterall.
hey Andre - interesting indeed that it seems like Aussie didn't offer the clear headlight variants yet you have one. Not sure whether they were ofered in NZ and it's hard to tell anecdotally because we have a lot of Z's imported from Japan (which of course were originally spec'ed for that market) which did have clear lighting. Any chance yours is ex-Japan? Easy way to tell I think is to look at the speedo and it will have a tiny little "JPN" just below the "Km/H".
Andre_z_3000

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Andre_z_3000 »

Hey Kiwi, nah it's definitely local (we don't even get imported z's here) I think it just got some extras added to it by the dealer cos it's got the full range of 'm' accessories (minus the engine:P) and extras like wood dash and all that inside as well. I didn't even notice half the stuff when I bought it so I'm not complaining!:P I see other z3's on the road about once every 2 weeks, so if I saw another one with clear lights I would notice, but I never have, but I looked on carsales.com.au and everything is orange, so definitely never was standard down under.
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

Treble5dog,

I am from York too, Castle is my local dealer. If you could let me know the part numbers you ordered (or what you asked for when you rang ?) that would be great.
I will give them a bell and order some too !

Cheers mate.
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
NickG
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by NickG »

Hi all Yep clear side repeters only £7. from BMW. :D Also got a pair of red and white rear lenses (98) for about £90. all in! after market was £130+ My repeters eaven came with the amber bulbs fitted. Used those chrome jobies at the back though.
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

bloody hell is this a dealer wide thing? i might pop by my local and get the clear repeaters instead then!

so - of more interest to me - what about the clear front indicator pieces...are they available separate from the head light after all?

Daneborough

Z4 M roadster

Post by Daneborough »

Andre_z_3000 - Good to see someone else from Brisbane. Our (Australian) Z3s never offered clear lenses so definitely an after-market add-on, but I'm not sure if BMW Australia offered the parts for Z3s as they now do as an option or after-market for current models - the woodgrain is probably BMW (I have it in my 2.8) and also some of the 'M' bits which were included in a lot of Australian spec models (steering wheel, etc.) - would be worth checking the import suggestion though, as I am aware of at lease 2 Z3s out of Japan - on another note, I'm always looking for more Z owners in our BMW Club, if you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you the details.
Treble5dog

Z3 roadster 2.8

Clear indicators

Post by Treble5dog »

:oops: :( Its with great disappointment that I have to tell you I was mislead when ordering the clear indicators for the headlights from BMW although I clearly asked for these items, what I was presented with were side lights for the bumpers ( how can that be misunderstood) so apologies to all for the bad information, although you do expect these people to know what they are on about, when I asked them to check they came back with"sorry we don't sell those items separately". On the up side the side indicators were there at £7 each and I also ordered clear rear light clusters , so these are available.
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

it's alright, when a dealer tells you something you tend to believe him....until you've got more experience anyway :lol:

i tend to go in and find them the part on their ETK (having looked it up on my home version) to make sure they can't miss it...hehe

might have to go get clear side repeaters then...can't believe they're £7 each and aftermarket ones are £30...wtf!

how much did you buy the clear rears (i presume you mean clear/red rears?) for?
i have aftermarket all clears now, but still interested in how much as red/clear used to be pretty £££!

Treble5dog

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Treble5dog »

Picking them up Friday £115 including VAT (CLEAR/RED)
Andre_z_3000

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Andre_z_3000 »

Hey Daneborough, Kewl, will pm ya, sounds good. Yeah nah, definitely an Aus one, I got the full history for it. Yeah the AUS 99/2000 cars here all had the m style wheel didn't they, then I think they got that silver style wheel on the 2.2's and some of the late 2.0's. Here are some shots of the inside btw, not very good quality I'm afraid. You can see the wooden m gear knob and handbrake. Combined with the all black interior I like it cos it's makes it very retro, specially with the top up.

muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

bump! to this thread.

i just ordered clear side repeaters from my dealer for £18 total, bit more but that's dealer variation for you.

still don't understand how aftermarket ones go for £30! maybe it'll be obvious when they get here...possibly it's cos they give you orange bulbs too - definitely worth £12+! :head:

Treble5dog

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Treble5dog »

Collected my rear lights today , asked for a discount got 10% bringing them to £103 took ten minutes to fit also fitted silvervision bulbs at £25 for two pairs had to file one lug off to fit, worked fine. looks the biz without any amber, now sorting out the front :mrgreen:
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

alright mate, surprised you still had to file bits off the silvervision bulbs, i got some (non silvervision but silver) bulbs for £12.99 per pair that fit directly...

get some pics up asap :D

dixie

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re Clear front indicators

Post by dixie »

I have read on an American discussion group that there is a kit available on eBay.com (ie US site not UK).

To fit them the headlamp has to be placed in a hot oven for some minutes, this softens the glue which attaches the glass.

Remove the glass, change the lens to clear and pop the glass back before it cools!!!!!

Scarey or what?

Apparently it works and is quite a cheap option.

Dixie
DXI 86
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Re: Re Clear front indicators

Post by Kiwi »

dixie wrote:I have read on an American discussion group that there is a kit available on eBay.com (ie US site not UK).

To fit them the headlamp has to be placed in a hot oven for some minutes, this softens the glue which attaches the glass.

Remove the glass, change the lens to clear and pop the glass back before it cools!!!!!

Scarey or what?

Apparently it works and is quite a cheap option.

Dixie
DXI 86
Hey Dixie - you're right - I've done that using the American sourced lenses - worked with no problems and was a lot cheaper than whole new clear indicator lensed headlight assemblies. Muffles above has also removed the amber lenses from his headlights using this method.

Re having to file a lug off the Philips Silvervision bulb - it is necessary as the bulb has offset lugs whereas the Z's socket is 12 and 6. Works fine without the lug - snug enough fit that it isn't needed.
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

i think there's a link floating around in a thread here that shows pictures of the lights with amber lenses removed and nothing fitted - essentially you end up with a chrome finish instead of whitey-clear.

p.s. dixie you don't need to rush to change over the lense before it cools too much - you can reheat the lenses, i did that. didn't wanna rush anything! :)

Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Clear indicators?.

Post by Devon Z »

Hi all, are these US lenses available to purchase direct or do you have to bid for them?.

Steve,
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Clear indicators?.

Post by Devon Z »

Hi all, are these US lenses available to purchase direct or do you have to bid for them?.

Steve,
dixie

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dixie »

Sorry, I can not recall where I saw the info regarding eBay.

My Z3 has white lens anyway so it was info acquired in passing.

I do believe that it was one of those 'Buy it now' auctions so you do not have to bid in the conventional way.

An interesting aside is that on the eBay Germany site the Z3 products available differ somewhat to what is available here in UK. All you have to do if you want to buy a product is bid. Then sometimes you have to convince the seller that he can ship within the EU just as easily as Germany. Most Germans have an excellent grasp of English so no problem.

Dixie
DXI 86
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

that's interesting re: german ebay - does that mean that essentially it is all buy-it-now auctions?

Kiwi

M coupe S50

Re: Clear indicators?.

Post by Kiwi »

Steve E wrote:Hi all, are these US lenses available to purchase direct or do you have to bid for them?.

Steve,
Steve - you could buy them on Ebay.com as they appear there now and then - or alternatively you could just get in touch with the manufacturer (which is the party that lists on Ebay at either:

www.z3parts.com

www.clearbrakelights.com

Both sites are administered by the same people. The lenses are excellent quality and the service of these guys is the best I've encountered yet in a long history of buying Z stuff from overseas vendors.

Standard price is US100 but there is room to bargain.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Thanks Kiwi, just sent them an E-Mail :D