Power steering fluid and brake pads...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ben

Z3 roadster 2.8

Power steering fluid and brake pads...

Post by Ben »

Hi all!

A power steering hose has split on my '99 2.8 - and it emptied itself all over one of the front wheels... :oops:

The hose has been replaced and steering fixed but I am concerned about the brakes. The dealer insisted it will be fine as they will have cleaned it off the brakes - but on the way home I wasnt convinced the brakes are actually stopping me, to the point where I could hear a slight squeak from the front wheel just before coming to a stop - and the brakes just feel like I am stamping down more than normal! Its had a little run to see if it wears off but I expect I am going back to the dealer...

Anyone got any previous similar problems to share or opinions on the safety of not changing pads after having power steering fluid on them?!

TIA
Ben
Ben

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ben »

Result on returning to the dealer:

They agree after a test drive that the brakes are very poor, so new discs and pads installed...

I still cant work out why they hadnt actually tested the car before I got it back though...
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

Ben, very shoddy of the dealer IMO. Any oily deposits on brake discs or pads is potentially very dangerous. At the very least it needed new pads and a thorough de-grease of the discs, if not new discs which thankfully you now have. Who was the dealer? Sounds like they did the job on the cheap which in itself is unusual as they normally jump at the chance to fit parts and charge for them with inflated prices.
We all have a photographic memory, just some don't take the lens cap off!