4 wheel hunter alignment.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

4 wheel hunter alignment.

Post by T48 TRE »

Well I took the car in to a hunter alignment garage in Warwick, it is called Pitstop, and my car is atill there.
The alignment is out but unfortunately the tierod bar is seized and will not move so they are having to fit new ones.
What amazed me was that nothing on the rear can be adjusted, only by fitting new bushes, and the only part that can be adjusted on the front is the toe in. The camber and caster connot be adjusted. This is the information on the specs from BMW.
Would you all agree with that, as Iam sure I have read that some had other adjustments made.
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

Correct no adjustment on the rear. With the lowering on my coilovers the negative camber on my rears is rediculous! lol
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Camber

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Camber angle is also adjustable - BMW sell special 'Camber Adjustment Bolts,' these being just decent quality bolts which permit a degree or two of slop between the hub casting and the damper bracket.

I was once told that my tie rod threads had siezed - because the 'technician' did not relaiase that one side is a LH thread!
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

Well Mike I hope that is not the case with mine as I did see him trying to release them. Still you never Know. It is too late to ask him now, as they were getting the new ones this afternoon.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The turret bolts are NOT an interference fit, so there is some adjustment. I found this out after I got airborne and after I landed the alignment was out. A quick check of the witness marks around the turret bolts sorted everything.
Pingu
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

BenZ3-2.0 wrote:Correct no adjustment on the rear. With the lowering on my coilovers the negative camber on my rears is rediculous! lol
I am fitting the Ireland camber and toe kit for the rear to cure this problem this winter and also adjustable top mounts.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... 2=97755074
betaruce

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by betaruce »

i also had hunter wheel alignment done recently after changing suspension

altho the rear camber could not be adjusted, the report still shows some improvement before (3'16'') and after (2'46'') alignment (don't know why)...with my bare eyes i could still appreciate the similar -ve camber

for the front, besides the toe, the garage said he can also adjust the camber slightly (if the top of the front suspension is not locked with the car body with the "4th screw"). not sure if he is right or not, but again the report show improvement
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

siwilson wrote:
BenZ3-2.0 wrote:Correct no adjustment on the rear. With the lowering on my coilovers the negative camber on my rears is rediculous! lol
I am fitting the Ireland camber and toe kit for the rear to cure this problem this winter and also adjustable top mounts.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... 2=97755074
Let me know how you get on, I am seriosuly interested in this modification.

Reading a bit mor einto it make sure you do a How To lol. Grinding and Welding frightens me!!

There must be garages that know about this modification??
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

I will not be doing the welding myself. I have purchased another rear beam that I will have modified by a local shop. I'll share the results.
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

Just thought I would let you all know that I got my car back and all is now well. with the new track rods and ends, the alignment is perfect. It actually feels different to drive as well, now it goes over a bump or a rut in the road and does not try to follow it, it just keeps stright. I am well pleased with the result.
Incidentally I saw the old track rods, the thread was rusted solid in the adjuster, and even with excess heat it could not be moved.