Petrol smell

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
KingCarl

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Petrol smell

Post by KingCarl »

Love the site - full of great tips etc especially when you live on the edge of the world. You guys are so knowledgeable its scary!

Had my zed 6 months, love it but notice a constant but very feint smell of petrol - its not losing fuel (as per mpg) and the BMW main agent couldn't spot anything. Only drive the car with the roof down so at first i thought it was just the smell of the open road!

Anyone else experienced this? any ideas?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

You haven't got a blocked drain in the rubber gaiter around the filler cap area have you? so that any petrol from overfilling doesn't drain away? this caused the smell of petrol in mine.. I cleaned it and had no further problems...

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Are you sure the fuel cap is relocating correctly after you ahve removed it, I have done this and had a smell of fuel :oops:
Now for sale £6000 Ono
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I have always had a very faint whiff of petrol when I open the boot but never inside the cockpit or outside the car so might be just the breather tube venting :|

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Tori wrote:Are you sure the fuel cap is relocating correctly after you ahve removed it, I have done this and had a smell of fuel :oops:

This happened to me too, relocated cap properly and no more fuel smell. :)
KingCarl

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by KingCarl »

thanks guys - some good things to try there - will let you know how it goes - moving into summer here - yippee :D
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

Have a chat with OXO.

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/