Z3 Le Mans

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Icecube

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Z3 Le Mans

Post by Icecube »

Now that there are 3 of us the Z3 is only now being used for the commute to work and we are chumping around in a megane at the weekend... this will just not do but i have had the Z'd for nearly 7 years.

So i am thinking of trading my Z3 2.2i sport (Sterling Grey with 58K, just had service 2 done, new bmw rear discs and pads and full BMW Service History and 2 owners form new) for a X5 3.0d sport Le Mans. Couple of questions....

1. Anyone driven a X5 3.0D sport (le Mans)? What are they like and what extras do you need other than leather and auto?

2. What would the difference in money be between a trade-in and a private sale of the Z3?

I am hoping that I bottle it and just keep the Z'd but fatherhood seems to want to make me responsible....
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Hi,

The only comments I have heard about the X5 3.0d is they aren't particularly good on fuel. Guessing it's a mix of weight, 4wd and auto box.

My mate has a 3.0 petrol X5 auto and he loves it. Goes like stink, and the grip is amazing for such a large car. :D

Gaz
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

My mate had a 3.0 petrol for a while then bought a newer 3.0d (both autos) as the petrol was only doing about 18mpg while the dirty derv sees high 20s to low 30s :D
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

I had an X5 for a while, it was a prefacelift 3.0D sport

Tbh honest, they are slow, dont handle (i mean dont even handle for a big lump) I only averaged 23mpg with a mix of town and rural driving.

The worst thing about them has to be their reliability, I am part of the Xdrivers forum and you only have to spend a short amount of time reading the threads on there to relaise they suffer from:

Gearbox
Turbo
Air Suspension
Electrical

problems all being very expensive to fix. To make matters worse I never really liked the seats, always felt like I wasnt facing the steering wheel straight....that might have just been in my head though to be honest.

I think the thing to remember is they were £50k new and are now coming down to a very reasonable £15ish for a loaded facelift model. This was mine below with its little brother.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us