A few changes

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

A few changes

Post by Wrinkley »

Well we've had the car for a few weeks now and enjoying it very much,however we have decided to make a few changes.
It's just had new standard ride height Monroe shocks and springs all round,the N/S front shock was totally shot and the rest weren't far behind.
The wishbone bushes are being swapped for ///M bushes.
It should be all back on the road by Tuesday so we'll see if there has been any significant change to the handling,which at the moment can't be described as great.
I'm going to try it with the 18" Beyern wheels and Falken tyres that came with the car,but if it's still a bit "jittery" I've just purchased some style 55 16" wheels to try.
Although I think we'll end up with 17" wheels on it,so the Beyerns with less than 1k miles on both wheels and tyres could be up for sale.
We bought some recovered seats in a dark grey with red stitching that look really nice in the pictures but haven't had a chance to pick them up yet,the thinking is to have the door cards handbrake and gearstick gaiter done in the same style.
One last minor job is to renew the accelerator cable which feels pretty stiff,although I might just try lubing it first.
Will give you my thoughts on the suspension and wheels when I've had a chance to try it out.

Steve
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Got the car back this morning,everything as described above has been done.
Unfortunately there's 6" of snow everywhere(forgotten what it's like driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow)so it was just the short drive back to put it in the garage,which unfortunately is not at home,took me a good while to get it through the very narrow gates and up to the garage,so another frustrating wait till I can get out in it.
Hopefully all will be clear for the run over to the Christmas dinner at Wakefield next week,looking forward to meeting those that are going.

Steve
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Well we finally got to get out for a decent run.
We set off into the dales ending up in Kettlewell for lunch and in total we did 237mls.
With the new springs,shocks(standard equipment) and the ///M wishbone bushes the car was transformed,stuck very well to the road despite some spirited driving on damp roads,although Joanne managed a minor back end slide on a very uneven surface.
Tramlining has all but disappeared and the steering was much sharper,so we will be keeping the 18" Beyern wheels.
Just need to try and sort the heavyish clutch which Jo is still struggling with.

Steve & Jo
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Assuming you fitted the Z3M bushes after the other mods did you notice a significant improvement on these over stock compared to the old items ?

What was mileage when you swapped them ?

Were the old wishbone bushes knackered ?

Don't want to mess with powerflex after reading mixed commentrs re need to modify same to fit our cars & would prefer a more stock underside look just in case I should be unlucky enough to have a moment & later have a pedantic insurance assesor crawling under the car.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.