Odometer message.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Jonathan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Odometer message.

Post by Jonathan »

I drive a 2002 2.2 .For the past 3 mornings when started the odometer displays the message EEP-1,the fuelgauge,rev counter and temperature gauge dont work.Everything else includint the trip counter and speedo seem to work perfectly and the car drives as sweetly as ever.This situation remains until I turn off and restart when everything goes back to normal.Any ideas? does EEP-L denote anything? Could it be the cold weather ??
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

I experienced that some years ago - took the car to a dealer and they fiddled with their computer - problem solved and my wallet got a bit lighter LOL - go and see a stealer... i mean dealer - they can sort it out in under 30 minutes....
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Odometer message.

Post by motco »

Thread resurrection!

My Z3 2.2 (52 plate) has lain undriven for some weeks and today the alarm went off spontaneously (it was locked all the time it was parked in the garage). The main battery was flat, hence the alarm sounding, so I put it on charge. After a while on charge I switched on to position II to see if the radio had lost its code (it hadn't) and the mileometer flashed the stored mileage briefly then went to EEP_1 in the display. I have not yet tried to run the engine so cannot say if it goes but the fuel gauge doesn't work.

Any ideas would be gratefully received please. :?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Googled and found this

http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/7chug-z3- ... -dash.html

"Your instrument cluster needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer. I have seen this occur due to low battery voltage. Most often the instrument cluster can be recovered with programming."
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Gazza wrote:Googled and found this

http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/7chug-z3- ... -dash.html

"Your instrument cluster needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer. I have seen this occur due to low battery voltage. Most often the instrument cluster can be recovered with programming."
Thanks Gazza, I found that item too - after posting my query. Anyway, this morning the charger showed 'battery full' so I nipped out in the car only to find the speedo was the only instrument operating. :(

Later, my fellow traveller (Mrs motco) asked me to go out again to buy things and this time all was normal. 8-)
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Went out just now to take advantage of the sunshine and EEP_1 was back! :cry:

After a brief stop about five miles down the road all was well again... :squeeze:
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

I have had this once in 5 years of ownership. I was looking at something in the car with interior light on, got out and closed the garage without turning off the light and a couple of days later car wouldn't start. Jump started from my other car and drove off but noticed the EEP_1 message and no instruments except the speedo working. I finished my journey and when I restarted to go back home everything was normal and no problems since.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

EEP_1 again this morning... :head:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Is the battery past it? a discharge usually kills them once they are getting on a bit.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

gookah wrote:Is the battery past it? a discharge usually kills them once they are getting on a bit.
Well I suppose it might be but it starts and runs satisfactorily and the message remains even when the engine is running and, therefore, the alternator providing a decent voltage.

Edited to add that a battery on-load test doesn't show any apparent failing in that department. However, I tried to clear the odometer EEP_1 message problem today using the step by step instructions for synchronising odometer mileage with the mileage stored elsewhere in the car's electrics that were kindly provided by Robert T originally in April 2009, modified January 2014. However my display won't go beyond test 1.7. It steps through 1.0, 1.1,1.2, etc,. but reverts to 1.0 when the numbers reach 1.7. The odd message EEP_1 comes and goes but isn't cleared by any playing with this function. I am going to ask Phil Crouch at CPC Performance in Amersham about this when I can get hold of him. He's a notoriously hard to reach bloke though... :?

The tests' sequence is here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=20201
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Sounds like you have stepped "into" Test 1 - you should be able to cycle through the tests 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and then into each of the displays for that test 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc. Timing is everything with this, as you need to step quickly, then pause to enter a test, then step again, and a longer press should exit each test.

I am not sure where synchronizing the mileages comes into this, as I thought that was what the tamper dot was for, but I guess anything is worth a try. I'd get it plugged into INPA and see what that says.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Robert T wrote:Sounds like you have stepped "into" Test 1 - you should be able to cycle through the tests 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and then into each of the displays for that test 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc. Timing is everything with this, as you need to step quickly, then pause to enter a test, then step again, and a longer press should exit each test.

I am not sure where synchronizing the mileages comes into this, as I thought that was what the tamper dot was for, but I guess anything is worth a try. I'd get it plugged into INPA and see what that says.

Cheers R.
I'm not sure either Robert but it seemed to me that it couldn't hurt to do the resynching in case the EPROM data became corrupted when the battery went flat. I take your point about timing and will give it another go when I can. E30s have an on-board battery for the service indicator function; I don't know whether E36 Z3s have one too, but if they do it could have failed when the car's battery died. Another trail to follow...

As for getting a diagnostic, Phil at CPC can do that once I nail him down!
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

The latest situation after a run yesterday allowed me to get the cluster operating and correctly go through the synching process, this morning after the car has been sitting in the garage overnight the odometer still shows miles correctly as it should. Not wishing to tempt fate, I'm not claiming a cure, but it does look promising. The Catch-22 is that until and unless you can manage to get the cluster to work correctly, no matter how fleetingly, you cannot get deep enough into the settings menu to do the mileage synch procedure.

Thanks to all those who have given advice and help. I hope this is an end to the matter. Further reports to follow if not! :)
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Not, sadly. I was being misled by simply reaching in and pressing the trip button to check whether all was well. This, I now realise, restates the last state of the readout. As soon as the ignition is switched on from cold the dreaded EEP_1 reappears and remains until a warm restart. Next step? Swap the battery for a known good and fully charged one. Second next step? Wait for a nice day and go for a 200 mile run to the coast. If that doesn't work I will have still had a nice day in the Z! :)