Warming up.....NOT!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Hels Z'd

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Warming up.....NOT!

Post by Hels Z'd »

Despite our best efforts at using the Z in the bad weather, we had to try and take her out the other day.

After clearing the snow i started the car up and left her for a 5-10mins to warm up and defrost, however after leaving her for this time the car hadn't defrosted one bit, yet the temperature gauge was bang in the middle.

I decided that she wasn't going to defrost, so spent 30mins clearing the garage (classic car parts everywhere) and put the Z away:)

Anyone got any ideas, do i have an air-lock, has the thermostate stuck up/closed?

Help appreciated.
brently

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by brently »

If there was no warm air and the temperature gauge was in the middle, I would check that the water in the engine hasn't frozen. When she's defrosted in the garage, try again and see what happens. I wouldn't leave her unattended though so that you can switch off if needs be.
Hels Z'd

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Hels Z'd »

Thanks for that, did think that might be the case.

The last time i saw icicles inside a car it was -25deg C and i was skiing in the Vermont......wish i was there now:)

I'll let the car defrost in the garage and see what she's up to and will proably give her a coolant flush and increase the antifreeze :)
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Mine did the same a few weeks ago, started the day ok then noticed cold air when stopped and warm air from the engine when running, outside temp was around -9.5 though

The cars in bits at the moment as just fitting new belt, water pump and thermostat but just discovered europarts have sent me the wrong thermostat :(

So until replaced cannot retry although before stripping did flush the system and topped up with water and still no warm air when on idle.

Watch this space!

jontymo
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

Mine does something similar. It takes about 10 minutes until the inside of the screen starts to defrost. However when I get the car moving it seems to warm up very quickly, even within 400 metres and within 600 metres or so its absolutely fine.

I've just taken it for granted since I had the Zed...
Hels Z'd

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Hels Z'd »

Think i'll take her into a local garage and get her checked over just in case, the last thing i want is a massive bill for running on a water pump failure.

Any one got any recommendations for a good garage in the Lincoln area, i DO NOT fancy the dealers hourly rate, depsite the free coffee.
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

If you had no waterpump, the temperature would be in the red in no time.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Hels Z'd wrote:Think i'll take her into a local garage and get her checked over just in case, the last thing i want is a massive bill for running on a water pump failure.

Any one got any recommendations for a good garage in the Lincoln area, i DO NOT fancy the dealers hourly rate, depsite the free coffee.
hi I live in Lincoln and may be able to give you a bit of advice if you want it :D drop us a pm

as for garages, there is forest motor at the top end of town behind wick's. He has a very good reputation and has many years of BMW experiamce. Derick is also am ex BMW mechanic

good luck,

w4tkins :thumb:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Well all back together tonight and refilled coolant, been out for a run and the temperature guage is bang on in the middle, so its back in the garage and will inspect tomorrow to double check everything.

But no heat unless driving so it must be something else that has failed when out last time!

More delving to do LOL
Hels Z'd

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Hels Z'd »

w4tkins wrote:
Hels Z'd wrote:Think i'll take her into a local garage and get her checked over just in case, the last thing i want is a massive bill for running on a water pump failure.

hi I live in Lincoln and may be able to give you a bit of advice if you want it :D drop us a pm

as for garages, there is forest motor at the top end of town behind wick's. He has a very good reputation and has many years of BMW experiamce. Derick is also am ex BMW mechanic

good luck,

w4tkins :thumb:
Thanks for the offer and recommendation. I had another friend mention Forest Motors to me today, so I may give him a buzz tomorrow.

If he's fully booked i'll drop you a PM and you can come round and do me a coolant service and i'll supply you with coffee......i know the wife wants to get back into the Z :)
MarkR

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by MarkR »

Mine did that about seven years ago. Warm air only blew into the cabin when engine revs were above 2500. BMW fitted a second water pump in line with the existing one for free to overcome the problem, which it did. This was not an approved BMW repaire or modification. But the BMW garage admitted that it was a fault with the car........ and it seems many others over the years.
Muzz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Muzz »

Reading all these posts makes me wonder. I went through all the mentioned then finally found out it was head gasket.
D
Its a hairdressing thing.......................you would'nt understand
Hels Z'd

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Hels Z'd »

Took the car into Forrest and a collected it a couple of hours later, all sorted.

There's a lot to be said for using the local independant, and this'll make you laugh. I actually only live 5mins from the local VAG Independant and have been in there a couple of times regarding my A6. Nice guys but since they've upgraded to new premises i feel they've lost the personal touch i feel you get when you can actually talk to the mechanics.

Although they focus on VAG stuff i have seen the odd BMW in there so i asked thier 'front of house' chap for a quote, after taping away on the calulator for 30secs, he says £120+VAT.......i thank him and walk out.

2hrs at Forrest, £42........enough said:)
noZyet

blank.gif

Post by noZyet »

Hels Z'd wrote:Took the car into Forrest and a collected it a couple of hours later, all sorted.

There's a lot to be said for using the local independant, and this'll make you laugh. I actually only live 5mins from the local VAG Independant and have been in there a couple of times regarding my A6. Nice guys but since they've upgraded to new premises i feel they've lost the personal touch i feel you get when you can actually talk to the mechanics.

Although they focus on VAG stuff i have seen the odd BMW in there so i asked thier 'front of house' chap for a quote, after taping away on the calulator for 30secs, he says £120+VAT.......i thank him and walk out.

2hrs at Forrest, £42........enough said:)
So what was the diagnosis to help us all?? :dunce:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I have a fault that some of you may well have or get, but it's OK cos it's sorted now :thumb:

Don't just ask for advice, and then not share the solution when it gets sorted...

This is the most valuable part of any problem thread...

Close the loop.....
It may help the others who may have/develop these symptoms.... after all thats what you were asking for in your original post :?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

come on then what did they do?
Muzz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Muzz »

We are waiting :lol: :wink:
Its a hairdressing thing.......................you would'nt understand
Hels Z'd

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Hels Z'd »

Bold and Italic text in one reply......i must have really offended someone.....i can only apologies.

I'd mentioned that i thought the problem might be an low anti-freeze level, due to the large temperature drop, sure enough i was right :)

So the lesson is, not to just assume that because you have anti-freeze that its at the correct dilute ratio, always worth checking it out.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Not offended and apology not necessary, just using the tools available to emphasise the importance of the solution to help all members, :D

Imagine your steering suddenly became heavy, you searched and ..wahey...found this....linky

"booked in on wednesday - I'll let you know how it goes." and we still don't know what was done to put it right.... :head:

we are all here to help each other

glad you got it sorted, :thumb:

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

You can buy a small device to test your anti freeze at most motor outlets.

They are only a few pounds, so you can check the strength of your anti freeze any time you like and it will only take a few minutes to do. :D
preston2.8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by preston2.8 »

Iv been looking at this posting for a few days now and have the same problem, just to comfirm was it the antifreeze that was mixed incorrectly or do I need to add another water pump? Just a little confused thanks
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I think he had low concentration and it must have frozen, reading between the lines...

Hels Z'd

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Hels Z'd »

gookah wrote:I think he had low concentration and it must have frozen, reading between the lines...
Correct :)