Parked next to a Z4.....................

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
CoachOz

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Parked next to a Z4.....................

Post by CoachOz »

My wife and I were out for a drive the other day and ended up parking the Zed next to a Z4. I said "which looks nicer to you the Z3 or the Z4?" She said "the Z4 and I wouldn't mind one!"
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

she needs glasses!! The Z3 is much nicer - and the design will last longer - why do you think the current Z4 has got lines from the Z3 again....

Merry Christmas from Ferdinand
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Wow, thats an interesting debate to start before Christmas day!

To be honest I love the looks of both cars, and would have both if I could.

I only have one issue with the Z4, which is when it's viewed front on. I can't think of a particular word for it, its not 'ugly', but the design of the front seems slightly 'out' with the rest of the car. I find them best viewed from behind or the side (and what a lovely rear they have!)

Can't really explain it, but both awesome cars and it wouldn't stop me having one.

Gaz
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Totaly different lines, I like the traditional "Sports Car" look of the Z3.

But I also like the modern looks of the Z4.

I wanted a traditional looking sports car so i prefer the Z3 looks.

But each one looks as good as the other in there own way..
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TaffZee wrote: I like the traditional "Sports Car" look of the Z3.

But I also like the modern looks of the Z4.

But which is better.....

there's only one way to find out....

anyway, you wouldn't catch me in one :roflmao:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Parked next to a Z4.....................

Post by Zed Carer »

CoachOz wrote:My wife and I were out for a drive the other day and ended up parking the Zed next to a Z4. I said "which looks nicer to you the Z3 or the Z4?" She said "the Z4 and I wouldn't mind one!"
We solved the problem when my wife changed her Z3 for the Z4 although deep down she still pefers the Z3 she appreciates the technical advances on the Z4 as she uses it everyday. Having said that neither of us particularly likes the new E89 Z4 - so no problems deciding on that. Both bring lots of ':) but don't and try and compare them as they are different in lots of ways.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Zed Carer wrote: don't and try and compare them as they are different in lots of ways.
except colour :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

I prefer the nose of the Z3 and the rear of the Z4, that backend is gorgeous.

This one is my friends z4, funnily i took the photo to compare the fronts (no need to compare the rears :) )

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

seasurfer wrote:I prefer the nose of the Z3 and the rear of the Z4, that backend is gorgeous.

This one is my friends z4, funnily i took the photo to compare the fronts (no need to compare the rears :) )

Gill
Must admit the Z4 rear is superb, its the one thing about the Z3 that could have been better.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

TaffZee wrote:
seasurfer wrote:I prefer the nose of the Z3 and the rear of the Z4, that backend is gorgeous.

Gill
Must admit the Z4 rear is superb, its the one thing about the Z3 that could have been better.
A facelifted Z3 will sort that out for you :wink:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

TitanTim wrote:
TaffZee wrote:

Gill

Tim.
Sorry but the rear end on a Z3 no matter which model could have been a lot better. :?
freck99

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by freck99 »

TaffZee wrote:Sorry but the rear end on a Z3 no matter which model could have been a lot better. :?
See now, it's obviously just a taste thing, as I much prefer the rear end of my Z3. I love the rounded, smooth bum look! :lol:

The Z4 to me looks like they just couldn't be bothered finishing off the design properly, something I find BMW designers seem to have done with a few of their cars lately.
Saying that though, I think they've made a much better job of the new shape Z4 with the folding hard top.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Surprised people prefer the rear to the front on the Z4. For me the front end of the Z4 is the best part, the long wide bonnet (longer than the Z3) and front end is imposing. It only looks a bit dodge on earlier/lower spec models with orange indicators IMO, as with the Z3 I suppose. The rear of the Z4 is nice and tight.

The Z3M rear is "better" than the Z4 and Z4M IMO insomuch it looks a bit more aggressive. The M Coupe is the same, the Z3M Coupe rear has a madder look to it than the Z4M Coupe which just looks like a 3.0.

For me the front of the Z3 is it's worst attribute when viewed oncoming - the front track can be too narrow, the nose often a little too high; contrast that with a Z4 that looks like a solid block of metal hovering above the ground as BMW got the ride height spot on with the Z4. The Z3 can look great stood over viewing it if that makes sense. The Z4 is a very nicely balanced design, the wheelbase and overhangs are nicer.

The new Z4 may be a tiny bit curvier than the Z4 but I would say still very much closer to the Z4 than the Z3. It has really grown on me and on the road they look very very nice.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Tim.

No it wont, i much prefer my rear to yours Timothy :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
The Sorceror

Other roadster

Post by The Sorceror »

seasurfer wrote:No it wont, i much prefer my rear to yours Timothy :D
So do I :twisted:
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Im slowly getting worried about you Mr Scourcererererer :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

seasurfer wrote:A facelifted Z3 will sort that out for you :wink:

Tim.

No it wont, i much prefer my rear to yours Timothy :D
Looks like I will need to inspect your rear at close quarters Gill :lol: 8-) :oops:

Tim.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

No need, i'll post a pic.............

[/url]
ImageImageImage
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I love the rear end on my ///M but agree with C_W with the front of the Z4 looking better and the retro interior looks better on the Z3 range than the bland clinical looking Z4. The only thing that spoils my car for me is the driving postion had taken some getting used to as I felt I was sitting on the car rather than low down in it just feels that the seat needs to lower a couple of more inches.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

I don't know why so many Z3 drivers are taking issue with the look of the Z4 from the front cos the only view you're ever going to get on the open road driving your Z3 is the rear :lol: :wink:

Dav the wheel nut
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

gookah wrote:
Zed Carer wrote: don't and try and compare them as they are different in lots of ways.
except colour :D
That's because there is only one real colour :D
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

I LOOOVe the rear end of my 2.8 Z3. I hadnt realised before I bought that the rear is flared compared to the 2.2 - looks much nicer to my eyes.
I watched the Top gear review of the z4 when it first came out - hammond said he wasnt interested because the Z3 'wobbled' (idiot) and looked a 'bit girly'. To demonstrate, they had one in the studio. then went to the Z4 and talked about how it was so much more 'macho'.

Now, these are the same people who would drool over an E type jag and its feminine curves. The Z4 is a BIG 2 seater to my mind. I wanted a modern car which had classic 60's 2 seater feel, and the Z3 will be looked at as a classic in a few years, for sure. Girly? huh? 2.8l, 190 bhp? elegant, yes. Girly, no.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Dav wrote:I don't know why so many Z3 drivers are taking issue with the look of the Z4 from the front cos the only view you're ever going to get on the open road driving your Z3 is the rear :lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

seasurfer wrote:No need, i'll post a pic.............

Oh I feel a little deflated now :roflmao:

Tim.

The Sorceror

Other roadster

Post by The Sorceror »

TitanTim wrote: Oh I feel a little deflated now

If you rear end is feeling deflated, try a butt plug
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Dav wrote:I don't know why so many Z3 drivers are taking issue with the look of the Z4 from the front cos the only view you're ever going to get on the open road driving your Z3 is the rear :lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: its the rear all i ever see of everything on the roads :oops: am i bovered, NO

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I have to agree with c_w, I prefer the front end of the Z4!

But I also agree with Tim, the facelifted Z3 is spot on, especially with the Aero kit fitted 8-)
CoachOz

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by CoachOz »

I've loved the look from the first time that I saw a Z3, as to me it is a modern version of the classic British sports car (which is also why I'm so pleased with my Dark Green 2.8 with tan interior and wood wheel). But also it has all of those nice BMW touches that I've enjoyed over the years.

When I first saw pictures of the Z4 I thought it looked pretty ugly, but once seeing one in the flesh I've revised my opinion. Except for the interior, which I find quite stark, especially compared to the inviting interior of my Z3.

One day I'll take a Z4 for a drive to see how they compare on the road.

Merry Christmas from wet and hot Australia!
freck99

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by freck99 »

TaffZee wrote:Sorry but the rear end on a Z3 no matter which model could have been a lot better. :?
See now, it's obviously just a taste thing, as I much prefer the rear end of my Z3. I love the rounded, smooth bum look! :lol:

The Z4 to me looks like they just couldn't be bothered finishing off the design properly, something I find BMW designers seem to have done with a few of their cars lately.
Saying that though, I think they've made a much better job of the new shape Z4 with the folding hard top.
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

CoachOz wrote:Merry Christmas from wet and hot Australian!
I was hoping to get one of those in my Christmas stocking, oh well, will have to wait until next year.
The Sorceror

Other roadster

Post by The Sorceror »

Sorcerors Apprentic wrote: I was hoping to get one of those in my Christmas stockings
I did not know you wore stockings :shock:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

The 3s graceful lines has to be a winner :lol:

Tim.
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

The Sorceror wrote:
Sorcerors Apprentic wrote: I was hoping to get one of those in my Christmas stockings
I did not know you wore stockings :shock:
Only when I go to the bank or post office.
bennyboy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

rear end

Post by bennyboy1 »

i have only had my (actually the wifes) z3 for 3 months,but still love the front end of it ,
the rear is sort of non descript but not a problem
if i could have the z3 front end with the rear of my old toyota mr2 (minus engine of course) ,,now that would be a stunning looking car,
the mr 2 was the opposite for me,,it had a really cute rear and a non descript front,,apart from pop up lights of course which always look cool
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

freck99 wrote:

I agree, the Z4 roadster rear end looks like a chicken's arse.
CoachOz

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by CoachOz »

You must have some mighty strange looking chooks in your part of the world!

1997 2.8 & 2000 528i Touring
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

motco wrote:
freck99 wrote:

I agree, the Z4 roadster rear end looks like a chicken's arse.
:shock: :roflmao:

Z4 owners please form an orderly queue :lol:

Tim.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Orderly Queue !!!!!!!!!!!!! he needs pouncing on double quick :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Duck!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

CoachOz wrote:You must have some mighty strange looking chooks in your part of the world!
We do indeed, but we do not associate that word with chickens, does it get lonely in the outback? :devil:

It’s actually an English word, one that was taken to Australia and New Zealand by emigrants.
Back in the sixteenth century chuck - chook , was a familiar endearment.
Shakespeare is first recorded as using it, appropriately enough in Love’s Labour’s Lost.
It survives as an endearment in some parts of Britain today, such as Yorkshire and Liverpool.
CoachOz

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by CoachOz »

Lonely in the Outback - not so lonely that we need to endear ourselves to our chooks. Then again it is highly unlikely that any Zeds (3 or 4) dwell in the Outback. Even X5's are unlikely to be seen off the tar.