New to Z3 and forum - direction needed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New to Z3 and forum - direction needed

Post by kt66se »

Hello all,

Well, I took the plunge and bought a 2.2 Z3. I am extreemly pleased with it but have a few questions on what looks like a very complicated car. I bought the z3 having restored and sold a Triumph Herald and was going to go for a GT6 replacement but decided something more modern was required over having to start on another project, try to align doors, weld bits of metal, try to get a decent timing setting etc,etc...plus the worry of how to plan trips and what spare parts to take in case of breakdown.

Well the straight 6 z3 was the perfect modern replacement, plenty of research plus scanning this forum led me to the 2.2 but having got my hands oily on classic cars, I'd like to do the same with this only having lifted the bonnet, I don't recognise anything, where are the spark plugs, what are all those pipes, where's the oil filter and if I did change oil, can I reset the maintanance LED thingy on the speedo. Also, my z3 does not have the electric hood but there are two holes where the up/down switches should be, perhaps depending on model. Where can I get blanking covers for the holes, is there a good on line z3 spares shop?

As it's been freezing cold, I've not been out in her much and had little chance to explore in the 10 days that I've had her for. My z3 has an 'M' steering wheel, does this mean anything? It's done 66k with a full service history. I also seem to have the 'camber' problem. Tracking has been checked and she was toeing 'IN' but she still drifts with cracks and creases in the road. Tyres are worn on the oustide and I've seen on the forum a change of tyres sorts this out, so will do that in the New Year.

Is there a decent manual, should I go for the z3 DVD found on eBay to understand the engine a bit more. Would also like to do things like brakes etc so am looking for a general all round book perhaps?

Do you recommend DIY on these cars?

Many thanks

Adam
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

Hi and welcome , one of the best service manuals around for the Zed is the Bentley service manual. Not cheap but its all you'll ever need.
Im sure just about any question can be answered by someone on here too.
happy Zedding

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New to Z3 and forum - direction needed

Post by Ian_C »

Welcome kt66e, good choice of car and engine :thumb:
kt66se wrote:...and if I did change oil, can I reset the maintanance LED thingy on the speedo.
Yes, you can buy a cheap reset tool on eBay or short a couple of pins together (the exact details are on here somewhere - have a play with the search facility)
kt66se wrote:Also, my z3 does not have the electric hood but there are two holes where the up/down switches should be, perhaps depending on model. Where can I get blanking covers for the holes, is there a good on line z3 spares shop?
You can get blanks from your local BMW dealer but are you sure you don't have an electric hood? There are a couple of clues to look for: Raise the hood at the front and have a look on the first fold point on the driver's side - there should be a microswitch if you've got a power hood. Failing that take a look behind the lh side trim panel in the boot and see if the hydraulic reservoir is present. It could be that your hood mechanism is faulty and just needs repairing - normally not too difficult to fix.
kt66se wrote:As it's been freezing cold, I've not been out in her much and had little chance to explore in the 10 days that I've had her for. My z3 has an 'M' steering wheel, does this mean anything?
No, lots of z3s came with ///M steering wheels and gear knobs.
kt66se wrote: Is there a decent manual, should I go for the z3 DVD found on eBay to understand the engine a bit more. Would also like to do things like brakes etc so am looking for a general all round book perhaps?
There's a review of the Bentley manual in The Knowledgebase here. I have a copy and find it a good reference when coupled with the wealth of information on zroadster and Bimmerforums.
kt66se wrote:Do you recommend DIY on these cars?
Yes!
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

thanks for the quick replies. Looking at the bentley review, it does not come out that good but then looking at the forums, plus brimmer, they say its not bad at all, so will see if I can get santa to come back and drop one of for me 8-)

I don't recall seeing any micro switches on the roof, have looked in the boot for motors / tanks but nothing so far. Now the snow is clearing I'll pull her out of the garage for a clean and once over.

Cheers

Adam
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Adam

I echo the Bentley Service manual recommendation. Not cheap but a worthwhile investment covering everything about the Z3 including electricals.

Re the tyres, lots of people have fitted Falken 452's which are great VFM. I would also recommend Event Tyres if they cover your area, they will come to you to fit and are usually the best price as well :wink:

Z3's are also sensitive to tyre pressures as well so do some experimenting with these (I run mine at a slightly higher psi than the book)

I'm sure you will have lots of fun tinkering with your Z3, and the 2.2 is probably the best all round Z3 in IMHO :D

Don't worry although there are more electrics to worry about the basics are just the same eg spark plugs are there just have a fancy cover over them and the oil filter is housed in a "canister" but is really easy to get to etc... etc....

Re the roof, some were sold with manual roofs but often a failed microswitch caused electric ones to fail and owners assumed it was a costly fix just disconnected it and removed the switch. As stated above check behind the left hand boot trim and see if there is a pump mechanism there (its under the aerial). Your owners manual will show you were it is (ie how to disconnect in case of failure). If you don't have an owners manual you can download one from here (an american one but basically the same for a 2001+ Z3)

Download Owners Manual Here

If you do have a manual roof them trim blanks are best sourced from your local dealer.

You can check for parts etc on RealOEM (online parts catalogue)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

put the last 7 digits of your VIN into the box and your exact car parts manual is there for you to browse.

tip:always get your dealer parts dept to check the code though so if its wrong they have to change it :wink:

Once you have the part number you can check prices online here

http://www.cooper-bmw-parts.co.uk/

Happy zedding and welcome to the forum :drive

ps you need to post up some pics, we are very nosey :shock:

There is a good guide on doing this, very easy just not obvious

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7658

or video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMtjCSiL1jo
Last edited by Jonttt on Wed 29 Dec, 2010 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Forgot to mention that RealOEM is an excellent resource for part numbers and indicative prices. Switch blanks are here (parts 8 and 9).
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

You can buy the Haynes manual which covers early Z3 and 3 series from Amazon for £16.99 delivered.I have this and Bentleys and they compliment each other,but the Haynes is better VFM.

The tyres originally fitted to the Z3 were Continental Contact Sport and apparently cure the tram lining.There are other tyres with a similar non directional tread pattern,including Falken ZE912 and Michelin Pilot Sport which suit the Z3 for less money than the Continentals.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

wow - that's great, thanks. Event tyres will fit at my work address so will get onto them in the New Year and order the 452's. Thanks for all the links, pictures will arrive when she looks half decent, went out twice in her and she's not looking good right now, (why did I choose black)! needs some sunshine and polish

Thanks again

Adam

:rtm:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Welcome to the forum kt, most important thing is to get some pics up :lol:

If your used to tinkering then you will soon find where everything lives on the Zed, theyre not really that complicated, which reminds me, I must get a Haynes manual :rtm:

Can recommend Event and Falken 452s theyre top fitters :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

After 20+ years of company cars I bought the Z3 specifically so that I would have something to "look after" myself. Yes they are a lot different from the older cars I was used to but with the help of forum members so far I've:

Completed oil and filter change and reset the service indictaor by shorting out the pins.
Fitted new discs and pads and a brake fluid change.
Removed the dashboard to fix sections of de-bonded leather.
Fitted new rear shock absorbers and top mounts.
Fitted new seatbelt guides.

I found it quite straightforward once I got going - all the fun of working on an "older" car but without all the usual hassle.

Mrs ZC is now trusting me with servicing her car from now on having seen what the dealer charged for an oil service and brake fluid change.

Have fun tinkering with the Zed.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

kt66se wrote:why did I choose black

Because you have impeccable taste :D

Welcome from me too

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

seasurfer wrote:
kt66se wrote:why did I choose black

Because you have impeccable taste :D
....have to agree 8-)

Is yours a 2.2?..........ok, just found it, that's why we have profiles! 2.8. :oops:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Or because you like polishing. Silver is much easier to keep clean. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc