Worrying experience this afternoon - maybe electrics?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Worrying experience this afternoon - maybe electrics?

Post by burmagirl »

I was driving back home half an hour ago, maybe doing 60 on a small A road. I flicked the switch to put full beam on - this may be coincidence - and as I did so, all my dashboard lights came on. I think I also noticed a surge in the engine.

The lights went off & my ASC & brake hydraulics (yellow) lights stayed on. I pulled over, stopped & put my hazard lights on & switched everything off. I turned the engine back on a minute or so later so I could pull off the main road, & everything was back to normal, and I drove home.

Any ideas, please? Could it have been something to do with the electrics?

TIA

Sue
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

I know no-one's come up with an answer but I saw plenty of people read about the problem, so I thought I'd post an update.

I went into the garage this morning and they checked for error codes. There weren't any, but then they found they couldn't start the car. It turned out one of the battery terminals had come loose, so it had obviously lost connection for a moment on Saturday.

Phew! All it cost me was a drink for the guys at the garage! I'd done some more looking on the web since posting the original message and found a lengthy list of (horribly expensive) possibilities! Sort of the technical equivalent of readying a medical book, I guess!

Sue
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Sorry for not posting, I read the post but didn't have anything to contribute other than guess work! It sounds like a painless fix and hopefully a permanent one 8-)
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

I do hope so!!

Sue
brently

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by brently »

That's the problem with cars these days, the more complex they get the more you tend to look for a complex solution. Anyway, glad you got sorted at (almost) no cost!
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Just read this and my immediate thoughts are it was the battery connection so if I had read this in time you could have solved it.

Oh well we shall have to try harder next time. :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

We should have thought of it as wellt; my mistake for coming in and doing a search and getting sidetracked into stuff like the stability control sensor, drivebelt.... just to name two possibilities I found!!

Sue
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

My initial thoughts were instrument pod wiring getting chafed, but as it was too much of a guess and I was only using my mobile last night, I waited to see if anyone else would post. You're probably glad I didn't now. :lol:

You should drop by more often though - we miss you. :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc