Stereo / Speakers / Amp Upgrade?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Stereo / Speakers / Amp Upgrade?

Post by maccers »

Anyone upgraded any of this? I am keen to keep the standard BMW head unit and boot changer, but run in an amp and decent two ways on the rear bulkhead behind the seats. Would probably stick the amp in the boot.

Would be keen to know if anyone has run an amp with standard head unit and if it's easy to graft the speaker outputs onto an amp, unless they have RCA jacks already??? Unlikely though.

I want to keep car as original as possible, so want to use BMW head unit, but give it a bit of oomph!

Richard
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

Alpine make budget component speakers that with very little tweeking fit in the footwell holes and the rears behind the seats. The sound is so much better after i fitted these, and the speakers are really well priced. Next mod space saving active sub!
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maccers »

Hmm, I'll look at those. As I have the door panels off to replace the wing mirrors, I thought while I am here I can make some small modifications to the quite poor sound system. I seen online a US based company that offer a complete upgrade package.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/produ ... -Roadster/

I wanted to add an amp, not go mad, but just to beef the sound up, and install some better speakers.

Will see what the rear of the OE head unit looks like.
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'll be amp'ing a set of components that'll be placed in the doors & disconnecting the rears. The size of the OEM rears are too small to make any real difference. Although I'll be doing this with an aftermarket HU.
You'd be better off with something like one of the Becker HUs that the guys use when they want to stay OEM looking.
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

I thought the rears where to small to bother about but the Alpine sxe components fit a treat and really make a good sound for such small speakers, they have a special offer on at halfords at the moment i think the are about 30% cheaper. I replaced my headunit with a kenwood and noticed the bmw one had no pre outs on the back.
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Have you got a link for the rears please buddy?
Because if they are as good as you say I could run the fronts through the amp & then the rears just off the HU.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: Stereo / Speakers / Amp Upgrade?

Post by siwilson »

maccers wrote:Anyone upgraded any of this? I am keen to keep the standard BMW head unit and boot changer, but run in an amp and decent two ways on the rear bulkhead behind the seats. Would probably stick the amp in the boot.

Would be keen to know if anyone has run an amp with standard head unit and if it's easy to graft the speaker outputs onto an amp, unless they have RCA jacks already??? Unlikely though.

I want to keep car as original as possible, so want to use BMW head unit, but give it a bit of oomph!

Richard
IMO its not worth it. I had exactly the same goal as you and did lots of things to make the stock system sound better. New speakers all round (MB Quart), and a new AMP and a DICE iPOD interface. Sure it had more oomph, but the sound was still dull. I threw in a cheap Alpine unit with iPod connectivity and what a difference!

OK, not as stock looking as the BMW unit, but miles better sound, better functionality and cheap (£130). If you are really married to the stock look then get a second hand Becker unit. you won't regret it.

Si.
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

Self made roadstersound enclosure between the roll hoops with a Rainbow sub 8", then took it to a customiser to be colour matched with the interior. The front speakers are Rainbow KX 5.5" and it runs of an Audison 4 channel 400w amp. Its brilliant and superb. there's enough room between the seats for a further front facing sub as well!

Admittedly the kit all came to about £750 but Alpine do some great kit for less, and I've heard very, very good things about their 8" subs which out out 200w happily and they can be picked up for around £100.
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

Hi look on halfords website they are Alpine SXE-10255 and the footwell are SXE-17255

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Don’t know if you guys are aware but I sell Perspex Wind Deflectors (well known on this site) with a hole in to take a decent size speaker that sits in the roll hoop. We even supply a cover that fits behind the roll hoops to discard the wires. Use the link to see more.....

http://www.justroadster.com/products/wi ... akers.html

cheers 8-)
ImageImage