What to do about work colleagues who slag off your car?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I just take them for a drive and their opinion, like the expression on their faces, changes quite dramatically :twisted:
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

trigg35 wrote:wouldnt worry.a z3 or any other soft top is a bit showy and dare i say pretentious.it will get a reaction and it wont always be the one you want but often it will.i accept the image the car can project and laugh along with it.im 38 so mid life crisis is a popular joke (probably true!).my mate who is a jealous type isnt keen.his mother on the other hand acts like a donny osmond fan when she sees it outside and cant help sitting in it.
on a dull day last year while putting diesel in my old van a bloke looking pleased with himself pulled up in his saab with the roof down.i thought to myself what a cock and then realised the irony in this.had a similar thought when i saw a woman the colour of a lobster in her focus convertible with shades on looking far too happy! anyway it turns heads and i hope it is in a good way most of the time.if you see a grumpy looking bloke in a z3 that will be me.i dont want to look like im having too much fun! :)
Made me laugh reading that :D

To be honest it happens to a lot of convertables especially 2 seaters as most people are not in the position to run a 2 seater for practical reasons or can't afford one as a purely sunny day car. I'm sure if you offered them one for free they would have it which says it all :wink:

I've did not drive the F430 much last summer because I was sick of the comments around Liverpool (good but mainly abuse, everyone you meet seems to have an opinion they want to voice ie you cannot just enjoy the car), my boss just laughs and says "why do you think I drive around in a rangey"
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Didn't the tag "Hairdressers car" come about with the first Z3 1.9L or have I got that wrong, you can't compare the 3L with the 1.9L
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

what to do when work colleagues slag off your car

Post by Ci »

My sympathy with you in coping with 'this cretin's boring behaviour'. Your Z is your choice of car and splendid it is too! So don't get riled by this guy, who is clearly jealous. I have an old Z and Mini Cooper, so I find his opinion wrong on both cars actually. The Z it is a great little car to drive, and it looks good still. You shouldn't give a toss about what other people think. Just enjoy :wink:
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

mich wrote:Didn't the tag "Hairdressers car" come about with the first Z3 1.9
Not strictly speaking.
The derogatory phrase first raised its ugly bouffant back in the 70s and referred to small underpowered two seater ragtops like the MG Midget and Triumph Spitfire.
They were 'fun' cars, but not exactly serious sports cars, so the owners were frequently riled by people who drove...erm...Fiestas.

Unfortunately BMW's BIG mistake was to introduce the Z3 with the smallest engine, so it immediately prompted the resurrection of that spiteful phrase.

You'll remember that they DIDN'T make the same mistake with the Z4 which (iirc) first appeared with the fabulous 3.0l M54 powerplant.

There was a story that a top hair stylist didn't exactly help the image of the Z3 by falling in love with it and buying a whole fleet of them for his staff..... :head:

If anyone has a go at my car, I just feign interest and ask them excitedly "Oh right...you're obviously a very experienced driver, so which ZED models have you driven?" They rarely have a viable answer to this.

Enjoy your Zed!

A.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Only had the Zed 2 weeks but had all the questions.'when do you start your NVQ in hairdressing etc.,?'

I tell em straight, explain what I like about the car, how it sounds with the right foot down, and tell em again.......

Here we go....
:wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ABzOpl ... re=related
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Ah the old hairdresser car syndrome, guilty of it myself, way back in the '70's I borrowed my mates Spitfire convertible who happened to be a hairdresser to get a part for my car (2.5pi a man's car) the roof was down and I have never felt so uncomfortable driving a car as I felt everybody was looking in I hated it, and for that reason I vowed never to have a soft top, now a good few years on I have one, my first, and both me and the wife love it! , I don't give a sh*t what anyone thinks i'm happy thats what counts.

So don't take take any notice of him as previously said he is probably very jealous of you, ignore him he will get bored and turn on someone else, if he persists, a word in his ear that what he is doing could be construed as work place bullying which if he continues you may have to report.
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

The old 'hairdresser's car' put down. I've had my Zed now for coming up to 7 years and have had this before and will continue to get it. I have colleagues and mates who have Audi TTs or Porsche Carreras (not sure of spelling) and they don't ever give a negative comment - its usually from the peeople who drive $h1tty cars themselves and are just jealous. A colleague drives a Ford Galaxy (old T reg), a real old banger and he gives me stick for my Z3. Recently had a meeting at one of our other offices where I'd driven to and he had trained it - end of the day he asked if I could give him a lift to the station. Of course I said, the look of disappointment on his face when we got to car park and he realised I'd brought the missus' compact instead of the Zed was priceless! :lol:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hmmmmm so if I had gone for the 3.0 or an M it would make me "A Horse of a Man" :roll:

Of all the models the 1.9 was the probably the best seller, so I think BMW were having the last laugh after myself :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Basically I don't care what anyone thinks. The Z does belong to my wife and she looks great driving it, she is a hairdresser and a personal trainer. Now sometimes I borrow it, especially when the sun is out, yes I have product in my hair :P I love it, the car is drives and looks great.

Opinions are like A-holes - everybody has them.

Now when I see some driving a Boxter......haha ..only joking :lol:

Happy Roof down driving peeps!
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

well i do have long golden flowing locks of hair.... :D
the badness makes me do it...!

Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

I say yes it is a hairdressers car, I have straighteners in the boot and dry my hair putting th eroof down. Its no fun taking th episs if the other person doesnt react.

p.s i am a civil engineer, can really get much away from a hairdresser.....although my hair is, well, a bit longish and blonde lol and cut at a hairdressers.

*hides*
Uploaded with ImageShack.us