Auto to manual....

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Petenic

Z3 roadster 2.8

Auto to manual....

Post by Petenic »

Hi,has anyone any experience with changing a 2.8 auto to a manual gearbox?
The reason I ask is ,having recently bought a 1997 2.8 Z,im beginning to think it has been converted from auto to manual at some stage-the problem im having is at first I noticed the box to prop doughnut was split,so I got one from gsf and had a chance to fit it tonight.
Anyway when I get to it I also notice the left rear gearbox mount is split also,but it seems way to short,by maybe 10/15 mm-anyway,when changing it (for something similar I found and some washer's !! ) I also notice the rear gearbox crossmember is only held on by two 8mm bolts on the rhs and one on the left ( + two hex head self tappers !! ) -so this makes me think it,s not the correct crossmember......surely it would have two 8mm fixings either side minimum ....?
Then I get the prop off (and find centre carrier bracket broken!! ) and then get the doughnut off only to find it's much larger then the one supplied by gsf,but also its a GM part,complete with GM part number on it !!
And one more thing- (I originally posted on here ),because the reverse lights are inop on this car,but having checked the obvious,I cannot find a reverse light switch on this ZF box (should be on rhs,apparently ) so had a look under gear lever gaiter and found a large yellow switch connected to the loom covered in clear silicone and a cable just lying there, redundant !
So Im thinking,rev switch is the yellow thing under lever and its got the wrong rear crossmember on it,and maybe an auto doughnut on it?

Anyway ,sorry to go on-just a bit confused by it all....
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Try your vin number here to (hopefully) see original transmission spec.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

If that doesn't work maybe BMW service could tell you.

Dave
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Just a follow up, I've just now tried my own vin number and it comes up as unknown and manual although it's an automatic,
decoder may not be very reliable.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Petenic

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Petenic »

Hi,
Thanks for that....
-Found out today whilst trying to get a prop doughnut from BMW dealer,that my Z3 was an auto when it left the factory all those years ago- some cars have a strange history....
Cheers
Petenic
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Obviously a back street mechanic or an idiot owner has done the conversion.