Z3 ETM / Wiring Diagram Required (ZKE Alarm Related)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 ETM / Wiring Diagram Required (ZKE Alarm Related)

Post by yalden »

I have a friend on another forum that is looking for some help; I’m extending the query out to the remainder of this forum as there’s bound to be far more knowledgeable members on here than me!

My friend has an E36 3-series convertible which is fitted with a factory alarm (the one built into the ZKE 4 module).

This system should be the same as fitted to many Z3’s, however unlike the E36 convertible, which didn’t get any interior protection with the factory alarm, the Z3 was fitted with a radar module under the centre console.

If you have this system, your car should have the radar wave interior detection module, and not the ugly microphones on top of the A-pillars (which are ultrasonic based). I.e. sit in your car, arm the alarm and wave around – if the alarm sounds then you’ve got the radar module interior protection system.

My friend is looking to retrofit this system, thus keeping his car OEM and having the extra protection.

Ideally, he needs a copy of the Z3 ETM / Wiring Diagram, can anyone help?

To continue, his query relates to how this radar module is connected to the ZKE module.

The radar module / interior motion sensor is about 3” square and will be located somewhere beneath the centre console (around the handbrake area). Here are some photos of the unit:

As you can see it has a 4-pin connection. Presumably ground, +12v feed and then a trigger wire and on / off signal wire.

By using the Z3 ETM he aims to establish which pin goes where!

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Chris, to my knowledge the standard fit for the later alarm in the Z3 was still ultrasonic, but the module goes in the centre console, approx by the drivers knee. Where alarms have been problematic, BMW did fit replacement microwave units in their place.

Whilst microwave units are less susceptible to the wind etc, I have found that the ultrasonic alarm on my zed is more reliable than the microwave one on my other car. I have also found that the microwave alarm on my other car can trigger the alarm on the zed. :head:

Wiring diagrams from the Z3 can be downloaded from here: http://www.gbnetwork.co.uk/bmw/downloadetm.html

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Try this
Pingu
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Thanks guys, the above links have given him what he needs... case closed 8-)