I have water under my carpets! How to dry out?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
RedZed2.8

Z3 roadster 1.8

I have water under my carpets! How to dry out?

Post by RedZed2.8 »

I took my seat out to fix it stuck in the up position. One thing not clear from advice was how to adjust it. I eventually figured out that I had to remove the end bracket nut and bolt and rotate the bracket along the screw and also use a plastic mallet to adjust the seat down by knocking it!
May be obvious to some but I need to be told every step as not a mechanic - just a Z3 fan! Lucky I took the seat out as I found that under the carpets was very wet, the under carpet foam was sopping wet and there was standing water underneath. At the moment I have the carpets propped up with sticks to allow air in but dont know if that will dry the carpets out as they are so wet! Help please with any suggestions.
By the way I have just bought the car three weeks ago from a dealer! So what I have found so far is the drivers seat was stuck in the up position, ok for my wife but too high for me, especially with hood down. Wet under the carpets and in the battery well. The car dealer in potters bar had a bulgarian cleaner and I think he may have gone crazy with a high pressure water gun! I was told the car did not have an automatic hood but it does, I have now located the motor in the boot thanx to all your help. That explains why I have a switch on my lower front centre console! Any ideas how to get it working? I have a 3 month warranty but only for 'major items failing' please advise what I can claim for!
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Maybe stupid question.. but have you tried to unlock to roof - lift it a bit by hand - then apply brakepedal and push the switch to open roof??

just a thought...
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
RedZed2.8

Z3 roadster 1.8

auto roof not working

Post by RedZed2.8 »

Hi Ferdinand, thanks for your suggestion ,much appreciated as I do not have instructions in my manual how to operate the auto roof! That is why I was not sure if I had one or not. The dealer said it was manual but now I have found the motor to go with the switch and will try your instructon when my carpets are dry as I have the battery unplugged at the moment for safety. I would appreciate very much full instructions of how to operate the electric folding soft top roof of my z3!
Kind regards
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Unclip front handles, tilt roof, with ignition in accessory mode and foot on foot brake press the button that looks as though it has no roof. To close just press the button that looks as though it has a roof reclip back in place.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi RedZed2.8 - if you have got the seats out DO NOT try and operate the roof. Turning on the ignition with the seats disconnected will cause an airbag fault with a trip to the $tealers to get it reset - unless you know someone with a reset tool.

It sounds like your roof has been set for manual operation - there is a brass key on the side of the pump in the boot. IIRC turning the key anti-clockwise isolates the hydraulics allowing manual operation - turning clockwise puts it back to electric operation.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Windy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wet Carpets

Post by Windy »

Hi, I to am in the middle of drying out my carpets having had a leaking hood for some months? The only way I have managed to get them dry is to remove them. This involves removing most of the interior. I have had them on the washing line until they stopped dripping, now they are in the lounge drying out in the warm. The wife loves them there along with the seats, centre console etc? These women don’t really understand about men’s toys? Hopefully in a day or so they should be ready to be cleaned and refitted? Best of luck with yours
RedZed2.8

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by RedZed2.8 »

I have found a way to dry them out but dont know if successful yet! I took the seat off the runners one side first, then laid it sideways on the other seat without disconnecting any electricals. This allows full access to the carpet split. Then I lift up the carpets with sticks, broom handles etc with a big opening. this is in my carport by the way which has a clear roof so gets the benefit of any sun if it ever comes. Then idea! put a fan directed at the opening on an extension cable and leave it on all day.
Early part of the process consisted of squeezing carpets with blocks of wood and mopping up water with a towel, then put newspapers next to sponge unders to get further water out. Blocks of wood are good especially put end grain up against the sponge due to capillary action of the wood (as in trees!). Hopefully the carpets will not have to be taken out - will keep you posted. Many thanks for all the suggestions - this is a great forum!
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

If this ever happens again, try asking the wife if she has a wet and dry vacuum cleaner which would have sucked all the water out to a near dry state. Failing that you could hire one.

Being a woman I would have seen no need to have car parts all over my lounge :wink: I have the advantage of being able to do that though without any criticism as long as he can still see the footy on the TV :D
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
unclemart

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by unclemart »

Handy tip no.1 - Make your own moisture trap :D

Silica gel the type found in packaging for electrical goods is great for absorbing moisture. Collect it up and place a tray of the stuff on each seat, espeacially this time of year when there is plenty of condensation (and occasional leaks :| ) You will be amazed how much moisture is absorbed - and you can replenish the silica for reuse by shoving in the microwave.
Remember "To become old and wise - First you need to be young and stupid"

Titanium Silver 2.0
RedZed2.8

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by RedZed2.8 »

snoops wrote:If this ever happens again, try asking the wife if she has a wet and dry vacuum cleaner which would have sucked all the water out to a near dry state. Failing that you could hire one.

Being a woman I would have seen no need to have car parts all over my lounge :wink: I have the advantage of being able to do that though without any criticism as long as he can still see the footy on the TV :D
I dont think a wet or dry hoover on the carpet top surface can suck water from the foam beneath the carpet as there is a base carpet rubber seal that seperates the two. That is why the carpet can be dry on top and wet below and you will not know unless you insert your finger between the front and back carpets under the seat and touch the metal beneath to 'test for under-carpet wetness'
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

No you're probably right but using a wet and dry sounds a lot more simple than the method you described.
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
JohnZ

Z3 roadster 2.8

campervan tip for removing Moisture

Post by JohnZ »

a large plastic wash bowl with 1 KG of salt ( dry) placed in the footwell of the car then with the car closed up leave the bowl for 48 hours- you will be amazed at the amount of mosture the salt will trap.
remove bowl and dry out the salt via heat! and re-apply.
costs little!
TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TAV »

I had this problem on an old VW Polo once. There was a leak through the front window seal. I fixed it but was left with totally water sodden carpets.

I used sponges to soak the worst of it up, then put it in the garage with a small portable heat fan (on a safe wooden base). Left it on during the day, with one of the windows slightly open, and after 2 days it was all dry.
Z3 1.9 Facelift / Atlanta Blue