Breakdown waranties.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Breakdown waranties.

Post by zedwheels »

Hi, when i bought my beema it came with a six month warranty, thats passed now so i'v just taken out a continuation of the warranty for the next 12 months covering all engine parts, gear box, electrics, ect. seems to cover most of the vital organs you know! This warranty was £250 does anyone have an opinion about these guaranties, are the worth the money? I am now in the cooling off period of 14 days and would appreciate any comment. :shrug
hornel Z3M

blank

warranty

Post by hornel Z3M »

That is a great way to protect high repair costs, well worth the £250 wish i had one :wink:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Both of my sons and I had these types of "breakdown" warranties.
and these were the issues on the 3 cars

Ball joint worn out. not covered.
Wheel bearing noisy. not covered.
Steering rack leak.not covered.
CV joint collapsing. not covered.
Gearbox noisy due to failed bearings, also causing input shaft seal to develop oil leak. not covered. Rebuilt gearbox required.
Airbag ECU failed not covered.
I either did them myself or the garage had to do them under Sale of Goods, and they are still arguing with the warranty company over payment.

The only one that was fixed was a clutch release bearing, because I did not let them know about the noise and drove the car until it collapsed taking half the clutch and release fork with it.

Sudden mechanical failure is rare (but covered). Wear that usually precedes this is not covered and that is the common thing to happen, If your car is a few years old and has a good few miles then the sudden failures from faulty parts should have happened years ago, what remains now is wear related.

and you cannot ever get to talk with their assessors.

'RAC' was one of the warranties. They are worthless in my opinion. Save your money.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

and if one asks for a quote from Warranty Direct they will hound you for weeks asking if yiu have decided...
brilie

Z3 roadster 2.8

breakdown warranty

Post by brilie »

Hi I can only speak for an RAC gold warranty which came with my 320d which I bought five years ago. While diving down the road a dink. noise led to get me home mode .After the garage inspection turbo failure was diagnosed,my worthless warranty said in black and white parts covered turbo! to my relief however RAC said it as not covered because the garage said it had seized!! which in thier mind was due to lack of maintainance!! despite numerous phone calls asking where the dip stick is on a turbo????/ they refused to cough up. since then I have realised what RAC stands for Really Are Crap!!!!!.Like most warranties .....take your money but do not like to pay whats due!!!

brian
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

gookah wrote:Ball joint worn out. not covered.
Wheel bearing noisy. not covered.
Steering rack leak.not covered.
CV joint collapsing. not covered.
Gearbox noisy due to failed bearings, also causing input shaft seal to develop oil leak. not covered. Rebuilt gearbox required.
Airbag ECU failed not covered.
All bar the ECU could be "fair, wear and tear". What was their excuse for not coughing up for the ECU?

BTW, I think £250 for an exclusive warranty is good. An inclusive warranty is not worth jack.
Pingu
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Yep one of mine was RAC Gold too.
OK i don't expect it to cover door pulls, battery, leccy windows and any other things they can wriggle out of, but when a gearbox fails and it wont even cover major mechanicals (which is supposed to be even in the very basic of policies) then why waste the money.

Like most insurance it is just a big rip off and they will try and avoid paying at all costs.

It should not have to be a battle, that you end up having no chance of winning.
Last edited by gookah on Sun 20 Feb, 2011 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

pingu wrote:All bar the ECU could be "fair, wear and tear".
Exactly, so what is the point of having the warranty?
I am giving common examples of problems you may have, and non are covered. Like a multitude of other things that you think would be.
To me wearing parts that you should have to pay for, should be limited to brake pads, discs and clutch linings.

They charge higher prices for higher mileages, because there is more wear present, but wear is not covered.....

The above were the sole problems on the cars. The clutch bearing was wearing to begin with, and I did not tell them.
Do you have to drive each fault to destruction for the thing to be covered.

Things wear first, not usually suddenly break, especially on cars that are 10 years old. How many 'broken' wheel bearings have you had? how many suddenly 'broken' ball joints? how many suddenly 'broken' gearbox bearings? and if one did break, it would be "because it was worn"..

These parts are mentioned in the policy, and to me that is tantamount to mis-selling because these items wear not break, yet wear is excluded.

Airbag ECU was not 'main ECU'.
The term ECU meant main ECU only not ancilliary ECU's.

I assume the OP was fortunate enough not to need a claim under the original policy, or else I believe they would not be asking this question.

You can follow Pingu's suggestion that £250 is a good price, but there are people on here giving actual experience of claiming on these warranties' At least if you keep your £250 in the bank, you can ensure you have £250 for a repair without the battle and frustration.

zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

Thanks for the advice guys, when i purchased the continuation policy i had my doubts having read through the "small print" it sounded ok but my thoughts too was how many parts on a ten year old car doesnt have the usual wear and tear!! Anyway i just sent off my cancelation and instead of using the dosh for that i can now spend it on adding more miles on my insurance policy so i get some more happy cruising during the summer and i just take the chances of mechanical problems as i go. Cant beat knowing the experience of others. :cheers
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Short answer, they are not worth the paper they are written on.
Now for sale £6000 Ono
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

That's why I said exclusive. These warranties are rare as they list the exclusions. Most warranties list what is covered.
Pingu
tonym

Z4 roadster 2.5i

extra warrantys

Post by tonym »

I have a warranty with warranty direct and i can only say they have been no quible with any claims . ihad an earlyer z4 before my present one and the roof motor failed they covered every part and although i had to pay the usual excess i had easily recovered the annual cost.Was also a good selling option.