New to z3 same silly questions

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
oap70

Z3 roadster 1.9i

New to z3 same silly questions

Post by oap70 »

Hi, This is my first post on this excellent site .I have recently bought a 1.9lt 8v 2001 z3 and although I have searched through the topics etc there are a few questions /answers on which I get confused because of differing views.
1 What service reset tool do I need to sort out the green lights I am showing one green bar at the moment.My car has a round diagnostic plug with wires running to it under the bonnet ans also a plug under the steering wheel area?
2 What reset tool do I need to reset the brake fluid clock symbol
3 Will Comma G48 coolant /antifreeze be ok for this car.
I intend to service the vehicle myself and would like to have your advice please . Many thanks
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum, oap70.

Service light reset is always via the round diagnostic plug under the bonnet on the Z3. It can be reset with a simple piece of wire, but there are a number of more sophisticated solutions ranging from simple service light reset tools to full blown code readers.

Brake fluid clock is not as easy to reset and I'm not sure we have a definitive answer as to how it is done - some say resetting it also resets the services, others say differently. I had a look back through my records and sadly it seems that my car had never had a scheduled brake fluid change at any time other than with a service, so I can't even say if BMW themselves can reset it independently!

Don't know about coolant, sorry.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New to z3 same silly questions

Post by Frank.A »

oap70 wrote: 3 Will Comma G48 coolant /antifreeze be ok for this car.
Glysantin G48 is to BMW specification,and I've used it.

You can sometimes pickup BMWs own for similar price.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
oap70

Z3 roadster 1.9i

silly questions

Post by oap70 »

Hi Robert T,
Thanks for your advice , I see you have a Frogeyed Sprite , that was the car that started of my love affair with many types of sports car . I fitted a supercharger to my Frog and spent all my time fitting clutches, brakes and rear tyres , happy days ,
Thanks Bernie
oap70

Z3 roadster 1.9i

silly questions

Post by oap70 »

Thanks Frank A ,
The car is low mileage 42K and owned by a lady diver.for around 4year doing little miles and little is known of the late srevice work so i intend to do it all including discs and pads all round .I just wanted be sure that i didnt strart any reaction with the enginge materials by using the wrong type of coolant .
Thanks , Bernie
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: silly questions

Post by Robert T »

oap70 wrote:Thanks for your advice , I see you have a Frogeyed Sprite , that was the car that started of my love affair with many types of sports car . I fitted a supercharger to my Frog and spent all my time fitting clutches, brakes and rear tyres , happy days ,
I contemplated one with a super-charger already fitted when I bought mine - 0-60 in under 5 secs in a 50 year old chassis! :shock:
I do know someone with a Rover V8 engine in theirs - he drag races it!
Mine was bought after the zed and is a little more relaxed, but the 1275 engine is no slouch. :D
My zed is my sensible car. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I've always been able to reset the brake fluid/antifreeze light using the pin 7 on the diagnostic plug to earth system.
rgf

Not specified

Post by rgf »

Welcome OAP. There's no such thing as a silly question.
However, it is quite likely that you will get some silly answers!
The trick is not to post anything that gives Titan (and one or two others :oops: ) any chance at all of makng a pun!
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

rgf wrote:The trick is not to post anything that gives Titan (and one or two others :oops: ) any chance at all of makng a pun!
You're already too late RGF .....
Check out this thread

Now OAP - how about some pictures?
Image :devil:
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

oap70 wrote
2 What reset tool do I need to reset the brake fluid clock symbol
I reset my service lights using a length of wire to short out the relevant pin on the 20-pin connector. IIRC it is the Inspection II reset that also resets the clock symbol. As I only do around 5k per year the service lights are a bit irrelevant as its usually got 2 or 3 greens left when I service it.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
oap70

Z3 roadster 1.9i

silly questions

Post by oap70 »

Hi ,
Many thanks to all for your advice , I will post a picture when get time to take a pic ,im afraid the car is always on the move and im behind the wheel at the moment , cant get enough , well you have to check it out when you do the service work . so i do a little every day !!
Im ex merchant navy so any old engine room guys or deck for that matter hello to you
brent49

blank.gif

Hi

Post by brent49 »

welcome to the forum, great set of people always happy to help you cheers guys