Unsmooth box & gearchanges........I don't get it.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Unsmooth box & gearchanges........I don't get it.

Post by AW8 »

2001 2.2 SE with 112k showing on odometer - original M-Sport chromeline gearknob, standard clutch cable. I just changed box & diff oil as preventative maintenance albeit only 100 miles ago so not noticed any diference of yet. Fluids out were in good condition with original colour & smell plus lack of debris.

I have over 10k found the above car extremely smooth to change gear in. If mega crtitical I can detect an improvement when the car has warmed up, however, no complaints, notchiness or vaguness etc.

I keep reading comments from folk saying the geaboxes are poor yet I genuinely cant complain. I have always prided myself in that unless having a very bad day I try to be smooth in how I change select & use clutch to change gear, however, I certainly don't make any speciual efforts for this car.

Due to it being a 2001 I guess it is fly by wire.

I have also driven 4 x 2.8i single vanos cars & a 2.2i Sport yet most were smooth with exception of one 2.8i with a notchy gearbox.

Just thought I would share my positive observations as many seem to indicate they have different experiences to mine.

I have added a poll out of curiosity to see roughkly how many on here have been negaively affected. With 9 different engines I saw little point in allowing engine specific votes. Perhaps the thread will show some common patterns...................Certainly in my case 6 cylinders and high mileage aren't negative factors.
Last edited by AW8 on Fri 04 Mar, 2011 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
trigg35

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by trigg35 »

my 2001 2.2 with 51000 on the clock has a pretty rubbish gear change - possibly the worst of any car i have owned.never have mastered it.i either let the clutch out too soon and get a jolt as the power feeds in or i let it out too late and ride the clutch and get a load of revs and no speed.probably could do with a new clutch as the bite is fairly high.on the other hand my 220,000 mile toyota hiace van has the nicest clutch and gear box i have ever used!
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Thats a really interesting direct comparison what with yours being the same car, same year & showing half the mileage.

I had wondered how much is down to technique but odd if folk don't have issues with other cars.

Despite positive experience thus far I admit that I do give some thought to changes albeit no more than when in other cars. I sometimes double declutch whgen car is cold but more through sympathy than need.

I read on probs with syncro in one or two gears & I believe there was a USA TSB for this - not sure which cars were affected.

No idea re originality of clutch, book stamped but it didnt come with receipts for all work done before I suspect it's possibly the original. Not wishing to tempt fate albeit it may need a clutch at some point if we keep it a while.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
trigg35

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by trigg35 »

have tried lots of of things to find my own way of getting it smooth such as trying to change at 2000rpm 3000rpm etc and i think its the car to be honest.i drive a truck at work and have had about 14 cars over my 20 years of driving but have not had a gearchange that requires any real amount of thought to get a smooth change.in any other car you do it without thinkingt.mainly just the low gears or if you drop it into 3rd from 4th at about 50 to get a burst of speed to pass something.if it was a keeper id get a new clutch.my car is 51 plate 2.2 sport and think it has a braided clutch hose.did these become standard towards the end of the line.
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

I have a 2000 3.0 z3 with 55,000 on the clock, i am only the second owner from new. The car has full service history and the gear change is the worst i have ever had with any car i have owned and i have had a lot of cars. Im going to see if removing the clutch delay valve with an Earls braided hose improves things, if it did not have this problem i would have no complaints as the car is great other than this fault, If you have not had this problem with your car then you are lucky as it seems to be an issue with the six cylinder cars. Will let you know what change i have when the hose is changed.
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

Mines a 6 cylinder 2 litre with 83000 miles on the clock and i have no complaints about the gear change. I've never had tramlining issues either despite running my tyres down to the legal limit. I think that much of the problem is that people expect a Z3 to drive like a modern car when it was pretty much old tech even when it was launched 15 years ago, but to be honest that's half it's appeal for me, built like a tractor and retro styling. :)
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cdv

Post by Mike Fishwick »

My 1998 2.8 is fine - but I wonder if most of the complaints come frm owners of post-facelift models, with a clutch delay valve?

It would be interesting if someone with an awful gearchange first tried bleeding the clutch clave cylinder properly - by inverting it - and reported back, then if still unhappy tried removing the CDV, which is ther for people who should not have a manual gearbox - the Americans!
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Hi

Just thought I would add to the mix! I have a 2.2 sport roadster with M suspension - car is my pride and joy but the gear change is my only complaint! Had a new clutch fitted last year (by BMW) but still get this unsmooth change if I let the clutch out at what I consider to be a normal speed - the only way round it is to let the clutch out ultra slowly, I have no idea how it can be fixed or what i`m supposed to do? BMW say it is normal! hey ho!
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

My 2000 2.8 had poor change even after bleeding by the book.A new slave cylinder and Earls hose has sorted out the gear change but occasionally suffers slight clutch drag when very hot and engaging 1st.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

CDV delete required

Post by Titan »

**Z3** wrote: I have no idea how it can be fixed or what i`m supposed to do? BMW say it is normal! hey ho!
By letting the clutch out slowly you are mimicking the effect of the CDV
If you can bear to remove a part fitted by BMW, the answer is simple.
Buy a braided clutch hose and get rid of that pesky delay valve :!:
Image :devil:
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Judging by what 'Z3' says,it doesn't sound as if he has a CDV fitted. :?

**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

whats a cdv?
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

**Z3** wrote:whats a cdv?
CDV = clutch delay valve
Have a look HERE
Image :devil:
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

**Z3** wrote:whats a cdv?
Clutch Delay Valve fitted mainly for the US market to simulate a smooth clutch operation even if you engage the clutch by swiftly removing foot from pedal.This can be a separate valve fitted between the hose and the slave cylinder or incorporated into the hose.They also fitted a clutch switch,again mainly for the US which made it impossible to start the engine until the clutch pedal was depressed(just in case you tried to start the engine in gear).

Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Never had a real problem with the clutch regarding engagement on our 97 pre facelift 2.8. 75000mls

But and it's a big but,Joanne really, really struggles with the heaviness of the clutch,she loves the car but can't drive it for more than an hour,which does in some way detract from the pleasure of her owning the car.

I don't have a problem with it, although would agree it's very heavy the only other Z3 we have driven is a 2.2 who's clutch was very light.

We have now come to the point were we are going to go down the road of trying a new clutch and fitting a braided hose at the same time to try and improve things.

Would I be right in believing that this car will NOT have CDV?

Steve & Jo
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

I have a 1998 2.8 but with only 28k miles on it, the first time I drove it I thought the gearbox was quite notchy but once it had warmed up thoroughly it was fine you just have to take your time with the gear change much as I did with a 330 and M3 I had, I also had a new shape Civic Type R a bit back and I found I could 'beat' the box especially third gear if I tried to change too fast, the clutch pedal is a little heavy on the Zed but not as much as a 944 S2 I tried, one of the nicest gearbox\clutch set ups was on my 350Z's.