Rough running error codes (Solved)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
seaDog

Not specified

Rough running error codes (Solved)

Post by seaDog »

Had a day on the zed yesterday and managed to remove my old hood and replace with one that I bought on here (thanks johnjo), that went without a hitch and lowers/raises fine.

I had the car running and went to blip the throttle to be met with a cough and splutter and a very rough running car. The throttle then totally went and wouldn't do anything when I pushed it, EML light came on as well. Out with the laptop and INPA and got the following;

176 PWG-poti 2 Adaption (x2 errors)
170 Control unit selftest, internal error (x14 errors)
128 interface DME - EWS (x1 error)
119 motor throttle valve MDK mecanical Error (hard steering or jam) (x3 errors)
175 PWG-poti 1 Adaption (x1 error)

It has just been sat on my drive since September and hasn't had a run. Searching online points to the Throttle body as I believe my 02/99 2.8 has a hybrid cable/electronic control.

My first thought is to remove it and give it a good clean but anyone else have any thoughts or any other ideas, I am dreading having to replace the throttle assembly at £350 plus eeek

thanks

Jas
Last edited by seaDog on Sat 26 Mar, 2011 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Midsomer Mikey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Running rough error codes

Post by Midsomer Mikey »

Maybe stale fuel if you have not run it since september :!:
seaDog

Not specified

Post by seaDog »

Can't see it being that Mikey, it was ticking over and sounding fine till I blipped the throttle. Am stripping the throttle body this morning to have a look.

Cheers

Jas
seaDog

Not specified

Post by seaDog »

Ok update, throttle body off and seriously coked up, so much so that the butterfly valve is jamming stuck at the last couple of mill. I am guessing that is why the potentiometers are throwing up errors and the mechanical stuck errors.

So a good clean and stick it all back together and hopefully that should sort it, fingers crossed. Out this afternoon so it will have to wait for another day.

Jas
seaDog

Not specified

Post by seaDog »

Update, problem is now solved and it was due to a seriously coked up throttle body. I have added an image to illustrate the problem and it might help somebody else who has the same issues.

Mine was sticking due to a build up of soot on the points below where I have marked Binding. The solution was to release the two screws and open the throttle allowing the plate to slide out the body. You can then get good access and polish everything up with a combination of carb cleaner and autosol.

Fitted back to the car and use INPA to clear the adaptation settings and error codes and all is well. This also created errors on the ABS, due to the traction control, which have also cleared.

Procedure for clearing the adaptation settings and resetting is as follows;

1. Switch the ignition off for 30 seconds.

2. Turn on the ignition and delete the DME adaptations and the fault code
memory

3. Press the accelerator pedal to wide open throttle(WOT)4 times

If anyone one wants any further then please feel free to contact me. Back to happy Zedding :)

Jas