Paint - Where From

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Paint - Where From

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Hi

Need to Spray the Stone Chips out on my Front Nose Cone Lower Half....

In your experience ...... :arrow:

Where to aquire paint from :?: ( Topaz )

Thank You
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I hate to state the obvious, but have you tried BMW? I know they sell it in various forms, from touch up sticks, through aerosols to larger quantities. If you don't ask for a price, you won't know if you're being ripped off elsewhere!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Don't think that BMW supply aerosols (I maybe wrong) only touch up sticks, you may get one from Halfords, try a pukka paint supply dealer who may be able to make you one up, there is one in Coventry who will make up a aerosol for you as long as you have the paint code, charges about a a tenner. A mate used him recently for his wifes Clio, good match as well.
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maccers »

I have a Topaz blue Z3 and bought a can of paint plus the laquer from my local BMW parts place, it was around £20 for the pair from memory. I never used them in the end, got a local body shop to spray my new mirrors using their own paint for £50.
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

This company is well worth a look: http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/
Based in Hove (near Brighton) phone: 01273 328698
They can work with the BMW colour code number.

Regards.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I've used the Halfords spray paint on my M gills and some scrapes on the lower edge of the front bumper, good match.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I used Halfords spray can for my topaz door handles, £6.99 i think.... Match wasnt far off but do realise it mite not be a perfect match as your car will have faded slightly...
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Z3cade wrote:I used Halfords spray can for my topaz door handles, £6.99 i think.... Match wasnt far off but do realise it mite not be a perfect match as your car will have faded slightly...
Now that's idea I've had for a while, have you painted the handles or some of the plastic chrome covers?.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

MickJ wrote:Don't think that BMW supply aerosols (I maybe wrong) only touch up sticks
I said "I know", not "I think". Take your pick:

Paint spray set (dual coating) - BMW parts catalog

Topasblau aerosol is still showing as available. Most of the litre tins seem to say "production discontinued", but it is worth a browse to see if they have what you want.

Cheers R.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Devon Z wrote:
Z3cade wrote:I used Halfords spray can for my topaz door handles, £6.99 i think.... Match wasnt far off but do realise it mite not be a perfect match as your car will have faded slightly...
Now that's idea I've had for a while, have you painted the handles or some of the plastic chrome covers?.
If you look at my car thread in the gallery you`ll see i painted the handles topaz originally but i have now painted the outer handle trim silver with a chrome insert on the handle its self.. much beter in my opinion...
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Robert T wrote:
MickJ wrote:Don't think that BMW supply aerosols (I maybe wrong) only touch up sticks
I said "I know", not "I think". Take your pick:

Paint spray set (dual coating) - BMW parts catalog

Topasblau aerosol is still showing as available. Most of the litre tins seem to say "production discontinued", but it is worth a browse to see if they have what you want.

Cheers R.
Misread your post, didn't see the 'I know' it was early this morning, so yes that is my selection 'I Know'
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

MickJ wrote:Misread your post, didn't see the 'I know' it was early this morning, so yes that is my selection 'I Know'
Sorry Mick, I came across a bit tetchy there. I'm a bit like that in a morning - I can't see or think straight until I've had my second cup of coffee. :wink:

It is a bit of a pet annoyance of mine that people won't even look to see whether BMW can supply the item, assuming that they either won't supply it, or it will be more expensive. We have seen a number of instances of prices on fleabay being considerably more than those at the dealer, and if we don't use our dealers, BMW will think there is no demand for zed parts and stop producing them. :( If you get a price from the dealer, you at least then have a target to beat. I can get off my soapbox now. :lol:

Cheers R.
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Robert T wrote:
MickJ wrote:Misread your post, didn't see the 'I know' it was early this morning, so yes that is my selection 'I Know'
Sorry Mick, I came across a bit tetchy there. I'm a bit like that in a morning - I can't see or think straight until I've had my second cup of coffee. :wink:

It is a bit of a pet annoyance of mine that people won't even look to see whether BMW can supply the item, assuming that they either won't supply it, or it will be more expensive. We have seen a number of instances of prices on fleabay being considerably more than those at the dealer, and if we don't use our dealers, BMW will think there is no demand for zed parts and stop producing them. :( If you get a price from the dealer, you at least then have a target to beat. I can get off my soapbox now. :lol:

Cheers R.
Lol no problem, I honestly didn't know that they supplied aerosols, as you say I asked for some touch up paint for my 5 series I picked up earlier in the month they said it was so rare for someone to bother to ask for that type of thing they didn't bother to stock it anymore and had to order it in for me.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Re the touch up pots, I was told by a fella at a BMW body shop not to use the bushes supplied as they are cr*p. Get one from a hobby shop.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

I use a cocktail stick.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

I have a small touch up stick from Halfrauds but find it to be a tad on the dark side, just like every paint stick I have ever bought from them.

My local BMW dealer says it's a no on the paint ....... :(

So in your oppinions where to buy from, based on the best match not just price. Allthough it allways comes down to price in the end.
Why pay £22 for an ariel when £3.99 will do just the same and be cheaper
to replace when it gets nicked and it will.... :(
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.