Rust and Replacement Panels

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Greg Allan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rust and Replacement Panels

Post by Greg Allan »

Hi,

Ive taken off the offside rocker and fender panels on my 1998 Z3.

The rust isnt at the horror stage yet but the rocker panels are very heavily pitted especially round the jack point cutaways, as I think some fool has jacked the car on the rocker panel in the past and bust the paint, then the rust has gotten it and taken hold.

Is it generally cheaper to replace these panels or treat the rust? I know that no man is an island, but I would feel more confident if I could treat the rust myself as I'm not very trusting of body shops, as I suspect many of them see cars of a certain age as "problems" and simply wouldnt be thorough enough to treat the rust properly before painting.

Can we get replacement panels for our cars now?

What is the general consensus on this anyway?

Thanks
Greg

PS - If anyone has had good experiences of a car body shop treating rust succesfully in the central belt in Scotland please let me know.
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maccers »

Yep, you can get panels:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/Z3/Ro ... /bodywork/

I need two outer sills and front quater panels, but as per yours, they are not that bad yet and have done some work to remediate and slow down further rust - my car previoulsy lived abot 100 yards from the sea before I owned it! It was garaged, but even out and about and probably in the garage the salty air has taken its hold on the exposed bits and some paint.

RM.
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

@ Greg - I had my front end done at the bodyshop in Tulliallan - see Lesser Spotted Z3 for details/photos
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.