Starting Problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Starting Problem

Post by eyezcar »

Sorry all but can someone point me in the right direction for anything relating to starting problems for a 2001 19i, could be a earth problem so the man from the AA told me on Sunday, any help much appreciated.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Are we playing give us a clue here?

Any of these?

1) Nothing happens when you turn the key
2) Just clicks when you turn the key
3) Turns over but doesn't fire
4) Takes a long time to fire
5) Starts but runs rough

:shrug

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Starting Issue

Post by eyezcar »

Sorry posted from work needed to do it quickly; I had this problem for some time now the garage I brought the car from changed the crank sensor which seem to work for about six weeks then the problem returned, the car turns over 3 or 4 time then nothing and you have to repeat this for up to five minutes before she’ll fire up once she going she’ll Ok for a week or so then it’ll start again, one thing I have pick up on is if it’s been damp or foggy she’ll not start and the other end if she been stand if the sun she’ll not start, after Sunday I spent Monday cleaning up all the earth point in the engine bay and she’s been starting first time , if you heard of a problem like this please let me know.
One last thing when she does fail to start the dial on the dash go all over the place, the rev counter goes left to right the temp gauge goes all the way to heat all the error lights come on but once she fires up they all stop.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Check the battery connections in the boot. It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by eyezcar »

Hi have cleaned all the terminal up that I can find and so far so go, ever started in the rain this morning after sitting on the drive all night.