Start button - cool/not cool

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Start button - cool/not cool

Post by alec.m »

I`ve always fancied a push button start. Anyone fitted one in their Z and where? Seen the following but there`s loads to choose from
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/BILL ... START_PBSM
muckyman

M roadster S50

Post by muckyman »

my opinion is that they are cool in cars that came with them fitted by the manufacturer, and uncool in those added as aftermarket additions.

But, thats just MY opinion and you should do what you think is right for YOUR car (thankfully, we don't all have identical tastes and opinions)
:)
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Its been done by some people on here replacing the cigarette lighter with the start button, there were some photos if you do a search you may find them
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

If you choose the right placement and do a proper enough job to make it look factory fitted then very cool, the danger is its probably easy to bodge with cheap & tacky eBay kits readily available
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

It has been done by one or two members on this forum and it has looked very good - I think they used the Honda S2000 starter button. A mate of mine has done it on his Audi TT using the Honda S2K button and I have to say it does look good, so good I have thought about doing it too, but I need the cig lighter for the sat nav.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Great replies guys. I like the idea of using the cigarette lighter socket but I too need it for the sat nav. I`m not good with electrics, could anyone advise me if a sat nav could be powered by a small plug and socket? I`m thinking of the blank space between the roof opening button and the OBC readout which would be big enough to take a socket. Any thoughts appreciated.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Button

Post by Mike Fishwick »

A good (Honda etc) start push looks nice, but as you have to turn the key for the ignition, you may as well turn it a bit more and start the engine.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Some info here, but afraid most of the piccies have long since disappeared. :(

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7943

Funny how these things crop up in other conversations. Was just talking to one of the Healey owners the other day about replacing the solenoid for his start button - the frog doesn't have such sophistication - it has a knob that you pull... the knob operates a bowden cable, which pulls two plates of metal together. I hope the zed solution is a bit more modern. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The pull start is something I had forgotten about, my Dads old Moggy had the same.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Early Minis used to have the starter button on the floor by the handbrake...
woody91

blank.gif

Post by woody91 »

You could wire the sat nav to a switched live if you remove the cigarette lighter that way then the sat nav would only ever power up when the ignition was on.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I have an S2000 button in the cig lighter hole, I like the look of the alloy push button though :) I have wired in a double socket in the glovebox for sat nav and phone charger.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I am thinking of retrofitting a starting handle.
How cool is that :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Re: Start button - cool/not cool

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

alec.m wrote:Anyone fitted one in their Z and where?
On top of your knob (gear) :idea:

Or

How about middle of forehead? :idea:

:wink:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

gookah wrote:I am thinking of retrofitting a starting handle.
How cool is that :D

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Devon Z wrote:I have an S2000 button in the cig lighter hole, I like the look of the alloy push button though :) I have wired in a double socket in the glovebox for sat nav and phone charger.
Very nice - care to share details of how with a write up?
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Devon Z solution looks like the way I`m going to go. Some details of how you did it would be great.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I'm away working at the moment and did this mod a year ago so I'll try to remember the details and post some pictures when I get home :)
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks Devon Z, I`ll be looking out for your post.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Have both, install a Start Button and relocate the lighter socket under the dash, out of sight, its easy to do, as everything comes with a socket adapter these days, you will curse the day you got rid.
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Jetski wrote:Have both, install a Start Button and relocate the lighter socket under the dash, out of sight, its easy to do, as everything comes with a socket adapter these days, you will curse the day you got rid.
Agree but how? have you done this? do you have any details? would be grateful if you do/can share.

Thanks
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BimBeema wrote:
Jetski wrote:Have both, install a Start Button and relocate the lighter socket under the dash, out of sight, its easy to do, as everything comes with a socket adapter these days, you will curse the day you got rid.
Agree but how? have you done this? do you have any details? would be grateful if you do/can share.

Thanks
Sorry, I should have said, my car is not a Z3, but the concept is the same, as lighter sockets are mostly just 2 wires, moving them just needs a soldering iron and a new socket. Finding the right start button was the hard part and making it look natural, which should be alot easier in a Z3.

I have some poor quality pics, but not much use in the Z3 forum.