Bought a tonneau cover the other night..

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Bought a tonneau cover the other night..

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

...and boy what a difference it makes! Dont know why ive held off getting one for so long! It really does finish the car off! Means I have to go out and take all my pics of the car all over again! lol

This sideways motion is feeling all too familiar...
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

I know what you mean - by hiding the mechanicals of the roof the whole car just looks that little bit sharper.
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

I put mine on last night and as you say it looks a lot neater, only thing I found was that the cover has 4 press studs but I have only 2 connectors on the car these are located between the seats and door edge the ones down the back below the roll hoops don't exist? Still it all tucks away securely so I don't see a problem.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Have you the middle metal plate at the back of the subwoofer/storage box.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

billz wrote:Have you the middle metal plate at the back of the subwoofer/storage box.
bill
Don't think so, would have to have a look.
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Ive only used mine once :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I have used mine for 0.02% of the time that I have owned the car. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

part of me wants one, but I really dont see me ever using it...
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Ahhh, the endless cycle of the tonneau cover. Here's how it goes.

1. You want to 'complete' the look of your car and have to buy one because it didn't come with one.
2. You buy one off a former Zed owner that 'forgot' they had it after selling their car.
3. You give it a clean and use it maybe once or twice, but finally stop using it after you get caught in a rain shower and can't raise the hood.
4. You take it out of the boot because it takes up too much room.
5. You never use it again.
6. You sell the Zed as circumstances dictate you need a more practical car or need to raise some cash.
7. When you hand over the Zed to its new owner you 'forget' you have a tonneau cover.
8. You sell the tonneau cover to some poor unsuspecting new Zed owner that thinks they need it to 'complete' their car.

All good fun eh!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

siwilson wrote:Ahhh, the endless cycle of the tonneau cover. Here's how it goes.

1. You want to 'complete' the look of your car and have to buy one because it didn't come with one.
2. You buy one off a former Zed owner that 'forgot' they had it after selling their car.
3. You give it a clean and use it maybe once or twice, but finally stop using it after you get caught in a rain shower and can't raise the hood.
6. You sell the Zed as circumstances dictate you need a more practical car or need to raise some cash.
7. When you hand over the Zed to its new owner you 'forget' you have a tonneau cover.
8. You sell the tonneau cover to some poor unsuspecting new Zed owner that thinks they need it to 'complete' their car.

All good fun eh!
Cheers Si, just when I was going to advertise the two I have for sale :lol: :lol:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

haha i like the above posts! It seems you have been to this BBQ a few times before! I was caught out in the rain yesterday with the cover on. Felt a right pillock having to get out and quickly take it off. Its only clipped on with the 2 outer most clips anyway beside the door so its fairly quick. Definately finishes the look of the car but I cant see it being used all the time!

This sideways motion is feeling all too familiar...
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

As above only two clips so be pretty quick to remove and it's not going to be used in the rain fair weather only! and mine actually came with the car.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

I have noticed that most of you only use two clips the outer ones
Interesting
As i had posted in another thread 1 of my 4 fixing on the tonneau has unscrewed its self, i still have the half that clips on fortunately, but no front half
And to buy a repair pack cost approx £60, and for only two fixings :head:
i will see what its looks like with the two outer fixings connected
if any of you want to part with a fixing as you only have two male fixings on your car, i am sure we can come to arrangement 'they unscrew'

I use the tonneau a lot it does set off the car :D

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Never go out without it fitted ,as the car looks unfinished without it and makes it look like an old type sports car :wink:
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

I use mine if i know the roofs gonna be down for a while - if i'm just nipping up to the shopping centre (Centre MK), then i wouldn't waste my time as the roof would be coming back up again very shortly, if the roofs coming down all day though, the cover goes on :)
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: z

Post by Geoff H »

hornel Z3M wrote:Never go out without it fitted ,as the car looks unfinished without it and makes it look like an old type sports car :wink:
Same .... I always put mine on when the roof is down, but we will be in a minority on I think.
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

siwilson wrote:Ahhh, the endless cycle of the tonneau cover. Here's how it goes.

All good fun eh!
1. Mine came with the car.
2. Mine lives in the boot.
3. Mine was fitted one day last year.
4. Mine lives in the boot.
5. Mine was lifted out one day last year to change the battery.
6. Mine lives in the boot.
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

I would say mine is on 75% of the time.

It does look good when its on, and is doddle to put it on and take it off after watching the You Tube video. :D
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Never used one and never will, I much prefer the Staff Car look :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I got it on twice in 12 months..............but still enjoyed it :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

I put mine on on at the weekend and it looks really good. It is only put on when the weather is good ali day as it's a pain in the Whotsits to take off when it's raining.
Mike123

M roadster S50

Tonneau

Post by Mike123 »

macca wrote:I put mine on on at the weekend and it looks really good. It is only put on when the weather is good ali day as it's a pain in the Whotsits to take off when it's raining.
One answer is to leave the centre clips unfastened - it certainly stays in place, but also allows more dirt and dust to find its way into the folded hood.

The best solution I've found is to undo the side clips and release the tonneau around its edges. With the centre clips still fastened, lift the tonneau sufficiently to fold the sides under (to their stored position). The tonneau can then be raised to give adequate access to the centre clips without strain.

You can reverse the process to allow simpler clip fixing.

There is a YouTube video with VERY bad music!:shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ow4TRMYSA

I've seen a couple of Zs with the tonneau fitted at the clips but just resting on the lip - it tucks in neatly around the sides and rear - apologies if you already know.
Zilv3r

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zilv3r »

[quote="Ragtop"]I would say mine is on 75% of the time.

I totally agree, I use mine as much as possible , really finishes the look of the car off.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The car definately looks better with it fitted but I only ever fit mine for 3 reasons:

1) photoshoot
2) shows
3) fast road runs on a nice day

re point 3 there is a practical purpose to them I discovered after a full day fast road run with the roof down, I will still getting dust out of the car for months as it had settled in the roof lining. I had ben following 2 others cars for most of the day kicking up dust and I think the air pressure which causes the cabin turbulence also sucks the dust kicked up into the cabin. So if your doing any group cruises on a nice day in convoy, fit your tonneau cover :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Jonttt wrote: So if your doing any group cruises on a nice day in convoy, fit your tonneau cover :wink:
Few and far between so still not much need for a tonneau :oops:
Image :devil:
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

I have one in the garage somewhere that came with the car, used once for photos, once as BMW intended and then carried in the boot for a few months before being evicted for taking up too much room and being practically useless.
Isn't a true tonneau cover one that fits over all the cockpit for when you park up but don't want to put the roof back up? On the old sports cars opening and closing the roof was probably a fiddly and time consuming operation so these tonneaus were probably a quick and easier way of weatherproofing the car for short periods, and i remember some having a North/South zip down the centreline so that only the drivers side need be opened up for solo driving.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Lazzzydog wrote:Isn't a true tonneau cover one that fits over all the cockpit for when you park up but don't want to put the roof back up? On the old sports cars opening and closing the roof was probably a fiddly and time consuming operation so these tonneaus were probably a quick and easier way of weatherproofing the car for short periods, and i remember some having a North/South zip down the centreline so that only the drivers side need be opened up for solo driving.
They were very useful, I had a MGB Roadster which I left the top down all the time, just kept the tonneau cover zipped across the passenger side when driving on my own and clipped behind the seats with a passenger in the car. Very easy to fix across to the dashboard when parked up. Now with power hoods these old ideas are not used any more.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Lazzzydog wrote:On the old sports cars opening and closing the roof was probably a fiddly and time consuming operation so these tonneaus were probably a quick and easier way of weatherproofing the car for short periods
Opening and closing - I wish! More like putting it on and taking it off, along with the tent poles. And don't forget the sidescreens - no roll up windows either! :lol:
I have a full tonneau for the frog and often use it when I park up, as it covers the car and stops people reaching in.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

Hmmmm the good old days. Makes me feel a tad lazy for not being arsed to put a towel over the rear screen to save it from the horizontal line, but life's too short as it is. :)
Greg Allan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Greg Allan »

When they are on they do look great.

But I think owners in drier climates probably get more use out of them than UK owners do.

Mines came with my Z3 and has been on once in a year of ownership.