Piss poor MPG

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Bench wrote:I am a civil engineer as well if you use feet and inches in my office you will hung drawn and quartered!!!
Difficult not to mention feet and inches on one job that involved re-using part of an old railway retaining wall as the as-built drawings were copies of the original 1848 drawings - still got them carefully stored in the loft.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Bench wrote:I am a civil engineer as well if you use feet and inches in my office you will hung drawn and quartered!!!
There is a time and place for everything
As ZC mentions, old railway drawings are all in imperial units and the bridges are built of metal plate that is quarter inch, three eighths, half inch etc.
Why metricate this to decimal millimetres when there are perfectly good imperial tables to use for any analysis?
boblez wrote:Hung Drawn and Quartered by "Civil Engineers" what would Un Civil ones do?!! lol
Chemical ones would poison you
Electrical ones would shock you
Mechanical ones will adore your Z :lol:
Image :devil:

Post by Guest »

Don't know if this helps, but i had a similar issue on my 1.9 Zed when purchased this year, i could actually watch the fuel gauge go down as i pootled along, again not excessive speed.

Found out the problem when the washer bottle pump stopped working, having taken the top cowling off the radiator, i noticed that the air intake pipe was broken and not attached. the result was that there was no forced air going in to the engine, so the nice computer compensated with extra fuel.

Long story short, changed the induction route, had to, shorter pipe now, to bottom air intake on front bumper, and hey presto fuel consumption halved. plus added bonus it revs straight through the power band delivering all its horses!!
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Piss poor MPG

Post by John1950 »

I gave up reading these about one third of the way down - but some figures
I've a 2.8 roadster and get 28/29 MPG if I drive carefully around town and journeys of 50/60 miles. On motorways and sticking to 70MPH I get 35MPG.

The tank by the way, if you've bothered to read the Owner's Manual is 51 litres or 13.5 gallons.
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

Thanks for that John1950, quick question, what's 'one third' in metric?
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Piss poor MPG

Post by Diamondj »

John1950 wrote:The tank by the way, if you've bothered to read the Owner's Manual is 51 litres or 13.5 gallons.
That's in US Gallons - UK gallons it equates to 11.2 (double checked on two different conversion tools).
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Diamondj wrote:
John1950 wrote:The tank by the way, if you've bothered to read the Owner's Manual is 51 litres or 13.5 gallons.
That's in US Gallons - UK gallons it equates to 11.2 (double checked on two different conversion tools).
Well done that man - I'd assumed UK gallons because of it being a European company - but as we all know, they're built in the US.

To add to my previous message - so far on this tankful I've got 225 miles and I've still got a good quarter of a tank to go. The MPG meter in the cockpit is currently showing 29.4MPG (I zero this every time I fill up so I know what consumption I'm getting on each tankful)
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Sorcerors Apprentice wrote:Thanks for that John1950, quick question, what's 'one third' in metric?
The same as it is in any other system, however, if you're meaning in decimal - well everyone knows: 0.33 or 33.3%
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

John1950 wrote:
Diamondj wrote:
Well done that man - I'd assumed UK gallons because of it being a European company - but as we all know, they're built in the US.

To add to my previous message - so far on this tankful I've got 225 miles and I've still got a good quarter of a tank to go. The MPG meter in the cockpit is currently showing 29.4MPG (I zero this every time I fill up so I know what consumption I'm getting on each tankful)
I also "zero" at each tank at the moment and that's why i unfortunately know i'm getting 22 UK mpg from the tank which is shall we say.....not that great - that was achieved with a "conservative" driving style, now driving as normal to see the difference; i've a horrible feeling she'll be dropping below 20, we'll see.
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

An Update:

The last 106 miles (haven't had to go very far over the last week so it took a little while), driven without regard for fuel consumption, revved the car to whatever i wanted and drove at whatever speed i deemed acceptable on whichever roads and low and behold.....21 1/4 MPG (UK)! By driving in my semi "usual" style all i lost was 3/4 of a gallon - very strange.
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

Evmundo wrote:Don't know if this helps, but i had a similar issue on my 1.9 Zed when purchased this year, i could actually watch the fuel gauge go down as i pootled along, again not excessive speed.

Found out the problem when the washer bottle pump stopped working, having taken the top cowling off the radiator, i noticed that the air intake pipe was broken and not attached. the result was that there was no forced air going in to the engine, so the nice computer compensated with extra fuel.

Long story short, changed the induction route, had to, shorter pipe now, to bottom air intake on front bumper, and hey presto fuel consumption halved. plus added bonus it revs straight through the power band delivering all its horses!!
Interesting - i'll have look over the weekend.
mooney

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mooney »

My 3.0 was at a steady 30mpg on the trip computer since I bought it. Dropped a bit when the thermostat went, but went steadily to 30mpg again once it was fixed.

I still havnt reset the trip, and after the long trip down to France it has gone up to 36.5mpg!

Sounds impressive, and I need to take a pic to prove it.
Unfortunately I still don't believe it, as after filling up 10 gallons we are still needing to refuel after 300 or so miles, which means in reality it's closer to 30mpg

Which is still better than my previous car - Mini Cooper S
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Mine is not doing much (about 150-160 miles per tank), but my lambda is knackered and I had a knackered cat. Maybe worth checking those things out. Mine does pop and blow after lifting the accelerator, but should be sorted tomorrow.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

mooney wrote:My 3.0 was at a steady 30mpg on the trip computer since I bought it. Dropped a bit when the thermostat went, but went steadily to 30mpg again once it was fixed.
I still havnt reset the trip, and after the long trip down to France it has gone up to 36.5mpg!
Unfortunately I still don't believe it, as after filling up 10 gallons we are still needing to refuel after 300 or so miles, which means in reality it's closer to 30mpg
Do you reset the OBC (on-board-computer) to zero regularly ? or it will give the consumption since it was last reset, months or years before
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

A little update yet again on this issue. Washed and polished the car yesterday gave the wheels the once over with the Autoglym put the roof cover on......she was looking stunning so i thought a bit of driving for the sheer hell of it was in order. Took her out and about round the B roads outside of Milton Keynes through the villages etc and put about 100miles on her so decided to round it up to the 106 and do the mileage check. I also checked the tyre pressure before setting out and all were just a little low but decided to put them to spot on bar, the result.....27.5mpg (UK) :). Considering i wasn't running at a constant speed and kept going down to 30 for villages plus endless gear changes for bends i was pretty bloody pleased with that.
It's beginning to look as if the main factor for my weekly low MPG is the short journeys and nothing more, fingers crossed :)
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Reading this thread made me think about my own mpg :roll:
After nearly 6 yrs of owning her (2000 2.0l) I've discovered that it doesn't really seem to make much difference how I drive her, I still only average 28 mpg.
But to be fair I knew when I bought her that like any good woman she wasn't going to be cheap to run :lol: if that was the case I'd have bought a 499cc Fiat 500 (oh yeah i forgot, I already did that lol).

seasurfer wrote: The only time i was lower mpg, approx 30 was on a meet, a section was horendous, twisty and fairly fast, changing up and down for quite a few miles around rivington lake area with a few //m's - never again :D
Gill

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Funny that Gill coz thats the only time I've ever been on a cruise and still had over half a tank of fuel left :shock: and thats on a stock 2.0l :wink:
mooney

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mooney »

Geoff H wrote:
mooney wrote:My 3.0 was at a steady 30mpg on the trip computer since I bought it. Dropped a bit when the thermostat went, but went steadily to 30mpg again once it was fixed.
Do you reset the OBC (on-board-computer) to zero regularly ? or it will give the consumption since it was last reset, months or years before
Last reset was in November. If I reset it more regularly it would be telling me a much higher readout, which just wouldn't be accurate. Not meant to reset it often for that reason