Vague steering - can anybody help?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
-Chris-

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Vague steering - can anybody help?

Post by -Chris- »

Just wondered if anybody has had the same issue: -

I'll be driving along and hit a slight bump in the road and the steering wheel momentarily pulls sharply to the left or right.

Also at higher speeds on bumpy A or B roads the steering feels very vague - and slightly out of control, which is a bit of a concern!

Is this an issue with bushes or suspension top mounts?

As always, thanks for all of your help.

Chris
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

This is a familiar story amongst Z3 owners, unfortunatly the Z3 does suffer from tramlining or similar front suspension problems particulary now they are 10 years plus in age. Rear front wishbone bushes are a popular remidy and indeed do reduce the vagueness you talk about to a certain extent but don't discount the other usual things like tracking and wear and tear on the other suspension componants like ball joints etc. The Z3 is also very sensitive to tyre variations including pressures, tyre wear and also brand/tread type with many owners reporting changing to a different tyre brings a revalation to how the car handles.

I took it upon myself to replace the entire front suspension componants on my Z3 including installing poly bushes which had a dramatic effect of tightning the front end up but then again you would expect that replacing so much at once especially compared to 10+ year old original componants.

Have your front end inspected for any wear or movement and take it from there.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
mrzwei

blank.gif

Post by mrzwei »

I was about to ask a similar question so thanks for the info.

Dave
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Only just got my Zed and I too was a bit alarmed at the handling round country roads. Much better when the tyres were warmed up so they were the first thing to look at and after checking the fronts they were running well under (10psi low on one side and 7psi the other).

Pumped them up and all but sorted, although still a bit skittish when cold.

That was 10 days ago and at the weekend I felt a pull from the road again but didn't have time to check the pressures. Done a search on here and somebody said they need to check their tyres every 2 weeks.

Will put a gauage on tomorrow and report back. 8-)
grandparipper

Z3 roadster 2.8

Tire pressures

Post by grandparipper »

Look at the door jamb tire pressure chart. It gets very specific about pressures depending on the sizes of tires AND differs if they are M+S rated!

I had some toe-in adjustors welded onto the rear subframe of mine since it is not adjustable from the factory and mine was out of spec.. I needed to replace the rear tires and went with a different brand than were on the front. The Z3 is very sensitive to even small changes in pressures! I will probably replace the front tires to match the rears to see if that helps the twitchiness too.

Thanks for your other ideas too!
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Rat from The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame author
-Chris-

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by -Chris- »

Many thanks for your comments.

I had the front end checked today (also had a look myself) and all appears to be in order. I may get the front wishbone bushes replaced as suggested as they seem a little worn.

Tyre pressures are spot on. It might be an idea to get the tracking checked though...

More projects - when time and money permit!

Thanks again.

Chris
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

tramlineing etc

Post by pete59 »

just a foot note i had the bottom bushers replaced ,tower stut brace fitted, got that of the forum and new avon tyres good ones,fitted today and the differance on the country lanes i live with is unbeleveable.it feels like a new car in every way.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

this might help if you go down the polybush line... i did and it worked

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10641
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Expensive way to go but I had complete new OEM springs and shocks fitted,we also went for ///M front wishbone bushes.
It has totally transformed the car,which by the sound of things felt very much like yours.

It may be felt by some to be exessive,but my belief is that any car with more than 40k on the clock the suspension is going to be past it's best,any car with more than 70k the suspension is going to be all but shot.

Just my opinion,

Steve.