Battery Status Indicator?...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Battery Status Indicator?...

Post by Devon Z »

The Indicator on my battery is showing black all the time which means it needs charging?, the car doe'st get used regularly so i have it on battery conditioner when in the garage, car starts fine but i've noticed a hesitation/flat spot around 1500/2000rpm and i've read you can get some problems if your battery is'nt 100%.
Whats the average life expectancy of the battery?(mines 5 years old)

Thanks in advance,
Steve.
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Hi Steve

I think you have done ok getting 5 years from the battery... even with a conditioner. The problem with batteries is that they need to be discharged and charged again on a fairly regular basis or they go bad. I assume you mean the wee batterty window is black? If so, then I would suggest the battery is failing. The wee window is actually measuring the SG of the electrolyte so should be accuarte.

I would not think that the flat spot will be down to the battery - although I have seen funnies on the E39 where a dodgey battery can affect the speedo/clocks etc - they stop working but the car runs!!

D
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Thanks D

I remember reading an article in the BMW Car Club mag from the owner of an M roadster and he said his car was running very sluggish then the battery died and when he replaced it his car had new lease of life!.

The American's are also fitting grounding kits to there cars saying that poor earthing to the main electrical components causes voltage fluctuations :?: make sense :?:
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Hi

I do think the battery must be pancake if it drags the engine down, as the altenator will be trying to keep the voltage higher... If it drags even the altenator down, then the battery is well gone.

As for grounding kits.... the web sites all say its a cheap route to more power... check out the JAP rice sites... or go buy extra earth straps from Halfords....

D