Good / Bad Birthday ALL SORTED KNOW

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Good / Bad Birthday ALL SORTED KNOW

Post by Zed Carer »

It's nearly 2 years since I fitted new discs and did the brake fluid change and I decided at the time that at each brake fluid change I would strip the calipers, pads and brackets to give them a good clean. So the story actually starts last weekend when I got the Z3 ready:

Got everything off and spent the week cleaning, painting, etc and put everything back ready to refit the wheels:

Now today was my birthday and Mrs ZC kindly bought some of these:

Now I've got the original 16" wheels and the centres are slightly different:

Oh dear how do I explain to Mrs ZC that they won't fit :?:

Fortunately I found a solution to the problem as I think that they might just fit these:-

Yes after 2 years sitting at the back of the garage I finally got round to getting the 5 spoke wheels powder coated at the same place that Aceman used last year. So all good so far BUT some of the more observant members of ZRoadster might notice that something is missing from the next picture:

When we were putting the last wheel into the car before setting off to get the tyres fitted (Falken 912's 225x45x17 Fr 245x40x17 Rr) I noticed a bit of dust. Unfortunately it wasn't dust :head: It was a black mark and although it was probably less than 2mm it was on the outside face and very noticeable. To be fair the guy at K&M immediately said that he would re-do the wheel entirely but it won't be ready until next Wednesday. :bawl:. He also said that if I brought the tyre he would fit it to save me another journey in to Wakefield so although disappointing at least its being sorted out. So almost there:

I've put one of the old wheels back on the front n/s so I can move it around for washing, polishing and waxing this weekend.
Last edited by Zed Carer on Thu 21 Apr, 2011 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looking good :lol: its surprising how the small details can make all the difference, like replacing tired wheel centre caps etc :)

Can wait to see the replies though to your first 2 pics :D :oops:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Very clean! Nice work. And happy birthday
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

Next year your wife could get you some axle stands ! :shock: Nice car silver is the best colour.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

TitanTim wrote:Looking good :lol: its surprising how the small details can make all the difference, like replacing tired wheel centre caps etc :)

Can wait to see the replies though to your first 2 pics :D :oops:

Tim.
TBH the original wheels have done really well, almost 12 years old, 84k and they've never been refurbished - one has a small (30mm x 5mm) bit of peeling laquer Old and New:

Image Image

I've never fully trusted axle stands and prefer something a bit more substantial when parts of me are under the car :lol:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Zed Carer wrote:I've never fully trusted axle stands and prefer something a bit more substantial when parts of me are under the car :lol:
And you an engineer:!:
Is there something I should know about ZC:?:
These are Halfrauds best 3tonne versions
Fabricated from split steel tube with 14mm pins retained by safety clips
And I believe they're inflammable :oops:

(PS Happy Birthday you older Git)

Image :devil:
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

TitanTim wrote: Can wait to see the replies though to your first 2 pics :D :oops:

Tim.
Ok, I'll start. "Anyone fancy a game of Jenga?"
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JC, have a lovey day Image

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

oops forgot to say have a great birthday :oops: :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Looking good and happy birthday!
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Happy Birthday, Bill. All the best birthdays are in April. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Happy birthday

They are the best looking wheels for the 2.8 IMHO.
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

seasurfer wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY JC, have a lovey day Image

Gill
Thanks Gill - you have a pm

Had a great day just a bit disappointing having the blemish on one of the wheels but at least they immediately offered to re-do it - the Zed does look at bit funny with one odd wheel though :lol:
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

That is was happens when you live on a council estate in Wakefield.
At least on council estates in North Yorkshire they use proper kit. :wink:

By the way, happy birthday. :lol:
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Hi Bill, been on holiday this week so only just spotted this. what do you think to the hi silver then makes them stand out don't you think, sorry about the one that had a blemish but good to hear they are sorting it for you. I remember when I had mine done they only fire the oven up once a week to keep costs down so that will be why you have to wait. How much are they charging now cost me £140 12 months ago ?

You cought me out when you rang I was sat down doing something very important :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

aceman wrote:Hi Bill, I remember when I had mine done they only fire the oven up once a week to keep costs down so that will be why you have to wait. How much are they charging now cost me £140 12 months ago ?
Luckily he must have had some more work in because he is firing the oven on Tuesday so at least I can collect on Wednesday and not have to wait until Friday. Now £160 for 17" wheels which with the VAT increase, etc seems about right. Yes the colour is more suitable than either of their standard greys one of which is very close to the OEM colour but just a tad darker and the slightly lighter finish goes better with the chrome gills.

Sorry to disturb your important work / thinking process and thanks for the information.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

those new 5 spokes look much better ;-) i had the same 16s on mine originaly.. had to change them quick!!!
when you have a spare day you can come to mine and do my brake calipers! they look good as new, well done

also happy birthday ;-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Titan wrote:And I believe they're inflammable
Who wants to be the one to tell him that inflammable and flammable both mean the same thing? ;)
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Dave L2 wrote:Who wants to be the one to tell him that inflammable and flammable both mean the same thing? ;)
Looks like you do Dave :o
Thanks for pointing out my error :oops:
Given that steel will burn given sufficient heat and oxygen, I should have said "less flammable"

Leaving grammar aside, the mischievous side of me wants to challenge Titan Tim to a game of Jenga :twisted:
Image :devil:
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Titan wrote:
Dave L2 wrote:Who wants to be the one to tell him that inflammable and flammable both mean the same thing? ;)
Looks like you do Dave :o
Thanks for pointing out my error :oops:
Given that steel will burn given sufficient heat and oxygen, I should have said "less flammable"

Leaving grammar aside, the mischievous side of me wants to challenge Titan Tim to a game of Jenga :twisted:
Ooops looks like misunderstandings all round here. :shock:

I though the smilie in your post was an indication that you had picked inflammable specifically becasue both words mean the same thing.

My comment is a quote from somewhere, I can't remember where, but you'd have to know that for it to be funny. Clearly it's a more obscure quote than I thought.

I wasn't being the grammer police, my spelling is far too poor for me to open that can of worms. :oops:

I'll get my coat. :bow
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Good / Bad Birthday - ALL SORTED NOW

Post by Zed Carer »

Picked up the "missing" wheel yesterday and when I went to pay instead of the £40 per wheel I only had to pay £130 for all 4 wheels :D'

Backed the Z3 out of the garage and a weight fell off one of the new wheels :head: - fortunately it was one of the rear wheels and it fell off at 0.01mph and not at ***mph on the motorway. Anyway it was a good excuse for an early morning run into Wakefield - hood down with the sun breaking through the clearing mist :D. Saw Porka's, MG's, MX's all roof down and 3 x Z4's all roof UP :head: I think that I might put Mrs ZC's roof down and then disconnect it :evil:
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Excellent rusult better birthday than you expected :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE