Spare Wheel Cradle

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Spare Wheel Cradle

Post by MickJ »

Having just looked at the photo's Poobear submitted re speed sensor change I can see his spare wheel cradle is in a rusty state, I spent all yesterday on mine as it looked to be in a similar condition as was the spare wheel hub itself, most of the time was spent wire brushing away the rust\corrosion and repainting with black Hammerite and the black plastic holder was treated to a spruce up and all looks a lot lot better, might be worth it, if you haven't already have a look at your own (unless you have the inflation kit) as all the crap that gets kicked up by the wheel gets trapped in it.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Emptied mine a whille ago. Was dried mud holding the wheel in on mine.

Keep meaning to replace the tyre as its clearly the original fitted back in 99!
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Mine's in the shed :lol: it weighs nearly 30lbs you know. I've carried a can of pucture repair stuff since I had the car, have you tried the scisser jack?, no way I'd trust that at the side of the road!, and nowhere to put a 8.5 x 17 wheel so temp repair system for me and get you home.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Devon Z wrote:Mine's in the shed :lol: it weighs nearly 30lbs you know. I've carried a can of pucture repair stuff since I had the car, have you tried the scisser jack?, no way I'd trust that at the side of the road!, and nowhere to put a 8.5 x 17 wheel so temp repair system for me and get you home.
Trouble with those temp repair systems they are no good if the tyre is shredded, which if you are doing motorway speeds is likely to happen, have always insisted on a spare\space saver, mind you my 5 series has runflats......
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Fair point, hopefully if you shread a tyre at 80 your in a good enough condition to put the spare on :!:
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Devon Z wrote:Fair point, hopefully if you shread a tyre at 80 your in a good enough condition to put the spare on :!:
True :)
PooBear

blank.gif

Post by PooBear »

Funny enough the spare is out still and the cradle is coming out to be retreated :-)

Thanks for noticing the rust rather than my write up :'-(

LOL
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

PooBear wrote:Funny enough the spare is out still and the cradle is coming out to be retreated :-)

Thanks for noticing the rust rather than my write up :'-(

LOL
Actually your write up was interesting as when I was under the car doing the cradle i wondered what that connector did - now I know - cheers :wink: