brake pad light and DSC light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mr Adds

Z3 roadster 2.2i

brake pad light and DSC light

Post by Mr Adds »

Hi all,

after 4 years of trouble free motoring, my Z3 has a problem...

A few weeks ago it had a flat battery, which resulted in the brake wear light and the DSC light coming on. I changed the battery and the lights went out. Now after a 30 mile drive, both lights are on again. Going to get pads checked, but I am at a loss as to why the DSC light is on?

Cheers

Adam
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

Are you sure its not the ABS light?

I ask as the ABS and DSC system use the same sensors and a faulty or even dirty sensor can set them off. Plus they are fairly cheap and easy to change.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

I wonder if your battery is charging OK? Maybe the alternator is not doing its ting and now you have a low battery and recurrence of the fault?

All sorts of weird electrical things can happen when the battery is low.
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Hi

I`m not an expert so please don`t rely on this being correct!

However, I have the exact same problem, sadly it is not good news!

The lights I have on are the yellow light in the middle (DSC Light) and the yellow light with an exclamation mark with a round circle round it and inbetween brackets. Anyhow, this is not to indicate your brake pads are low or your brake fluid, it simply means your DSC is switched off due to some form of fault. Why do i know this? Well my car is currently in with a dealership and is now back in for the third time! A pressure sensor was changed first, not cheap at £195 for the part alone! Then the electrical box for the dsc had to be changed, again not cheap at £995 for the aprt alone (it had to be shipped in from germany!). Anyway, its back in again for some "tweaking!", as the lights came back on again!

You can probably get it all done cheaper at an indy but thats down to personal preference I guess?

Anyhow, hope that helps?

Rgds

Post by Guest »

Oddly enough, after I replaced my battery last week, one of the terminals pinged off today, so a total loss of electrical power. When I reconnected it, I experienced exactly the same symptoms as the original poster.

No idea why & after stopping & restarting, it cleared of it's own volition.