Hunter hawkeye 4 wheel laser alignment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Hunter hawkeye 4 wheel laser alignment

Post by Canman »

After having the Zed lowered with Eibach springs and new spax shocks and various other mods during its hibernation , i thought today id treat it to a full laser alignment check. I know that there is little we can do as far as adjustment on the rear end but thought would be interesting to find out where it sits and to see the figures.
The toe on the front was adjusted as it was slightly out.
other than that it is relatively even all round. the rear is between 3 ' 20' and 3 '45' negative camber.
all in all very pleased and she drives like a dream.
All this was done at Autodynamics in Sheffield on the Hunter system.
must say what a piece of kit that is.

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Couldn't agree more :thumb:

I recently replaced both front wishbones and both rear wishbone bushes with 'PowerFlex' items. Found my local 'Hunter' equipped body shop via http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ and had the tracking done.

I noted on the way to my appointment at 'Fraser Accident Repairs' in Hull that following the suspension work the steering wheel was ever so slightly off centre. Following the alignment the steering wheel was plumb dead centre and the car handled sweeter than ever. I'm more than satisfied with the 'PowerFlex' bushes - turn in is much improved and I've not noticed any increased harshness in the suspension. :)

Don't confuse a 'Hunter' alignment with the £25 - £30 offering from your local fast fit centre - it costs more for a good reason - same as most things really - you get what you pay for.
seaDog

Not specified

Post by seaDog »

How much was it Steve, got a vibration on my zed > 75mph, the wheels have balanced out ok so I guess I need it doing as well !

Cheers

Jas
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Will be doing this when the suspension mods are all sorted, what was the price? the e39 wheels look great on your Z btw :)
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

the pricing seems dependant on what you have done.As the hunter hawkeye machine can give you so much information about the geometery etc.
I had the front wheel toe adjusted both sides and the full alignment check . took about 1 1/2 hr .
they even put weights into your car to give it the driver passenger and full tank of petrol ride height.
I had my Z4 done there early in the year and posted up on th Z4 forum, from which they got some work. Anyhow they charged me £35 and i said id post on here. so guess i got a discount.
Thanks Shanty for comment :D

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Canman you got a bargain!

Jas - Normal price is around £60 - £70 + VAT, think I paid £68+vat so Canman's £35 is a steal. If you still have vibration after a full wheel balance I'd check for any wear in suspension components or prop shaft before shelling out on the alignment.

The guy who did mine showed me the print out before and after and said that before the adjustment my steering wheel must have been slightly out to the right - which it was! Tends to suggest the operators know there stuff!
seaDog

Not specified

Post by seaDog »

Cheers Steve,

Might pop round and let you take it for a spin and see what you think

Jas
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Jas - That sounds like a plan to me.

Think you have the same capacity engine (2.8) pre facelift zed as me (though mine is running standard wheels and OE Continental tyres) so could be a good comparitive test.

Steve
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Having just had new springs and shocks plus ///M front wishbone bushes fitted to my 97 2.8 I had mine checked and fronts adjusted.

I'm not sure what the equipment they used was but it looked exactly like the machine in the photo's.

This was done at Bush tyres in Beverley and they charged me £35 inc the dreaded.

Steve