My old problems back

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

My old problems back

Post by eyezcar »

Hi
its back the starting problem, I thought I'd resolved it by cleaning all the earth points I could, but it's let me down twice this week again normally starts after 15 min's of trying and then it will run fine but until it starts the clocks are going all over the place all the error light come on. The AA chap told me that models between 2000 and 2003 are known to have earthen problems in the dash, ignition. Any one know anything that would help me resolve this.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

surely thats a battery problem. When the needles go mad its usually because the battery is under pressure from running it down trying to start it. What do you means after 15 mins trying to start it?
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

this could be a fauly cam positon sensor. As its imtermittient i would suggest a diagnostic. I knwo when the sensor went on my 328 it caused a starting issue.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

My old problems back

Post by eyezcar »

Thank for your replays.

When I said after 15 min it will start I meant that if I keep trying it will normally start and it can take up to 15 min.
I've had the battery check and the AA jumped it and it made no difference she will start when she wants to.
I asked about the crank and cam sensors, having had one replaced the first time the AA attended but this time the AA man said that between 2000 & 2003 the 320 series had known problem with poor earth in the dash, ignition and loom and you always got a cam/crank error message, but because the car stop turning after three turns and then starts again he did not believe that was the problem.
He suggested a good auto electrician to find the earth problem, but I have not be able to find any history of starting problem with Z3’s.
One thing which is starting become the norm is if she been standing in direct sun light or its cold at the start of the day then gotten hot, it’s almost as if the expansion is pulling on something and once it’s settled its fine.
There must someone out there, that’s come across this before.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

I have known in the past a spark plug which breaks down intermittently so it rights itself and then plays up again. I think it is well worth starting there.. :wink:
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

My old problems back

Post by eyezcar »

Just been reading the article on cam sensors it real does sound like the same thing I'm wondering if the garage did actually change the dam' thing in the first place ( it was under warranty).
Just be in the garage, turn on the ignision everythings clicking, the dials are jumpimg all over the fuel pumps starting then stopping then starting again and thats without even trying to start it.
stevesace

blank.gif

Post by stevesace »

Sounds like it's either a faulty crank sensor failing when it's hot or the engine control unit relay in the engine bay
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by eyezcar »

Well it looks like I'm starting with changing the cam sensor, so anyone know of a good artical on how to change a cam sensor on 2001 19i Z'ed
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by eyezcar »

eyezcar wrote:Well it looks like I'm starting with changing the cam sensor, so anyone know of a good artical on how to change a cam sensor on 2001 19i Z'ed
A big thanks to All, changed cam sensor 20 min's for a first timer not bad and it started 1st time. I have photo's for each stage will post them later, Now I'm going to play :D
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Cam Sensors

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

eyezcar wrote:
eyezcar wrote:Well it looks like I'm starting with changing the cam sensor, so anyone know of a good artical on how to change a cam sensor on 2001 19i Z'ed
A big thanks to All, changed cam sensor 20 min's for a first timer not bad and it started 1st time. I have photo's for each stage will post them later, Now I'm going to play :D
:) We had similiar problems with our 1.8 when we first bought it, 4 years ago, that turned out to be the cam sensor also. Another problem they commonly seem to suffer from is a sticky throttle pedal, which can be usually be solved by cleaning the throttle body internally. Having recently changed our car for a 2 litre Z roadster, the combination of these two problems again made life a little perilous at junctions and at the least quite embarassing. Seems to happen to cars that are laid up for any length of time.
How about joining us on the North Norfolk Coast Cruise on Sunday 24th July, see Diary & Events.
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage