Air bag light on

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Air bag light on

Post by baretto »

The airbag warning light appeared on the dashboard yesterday. I have done a search and apparantly this can be fixed by resetting it with a tool. However I have a service coming up in about 6 weeks time, and I was wondering if it is OK to leave the light on until the service and get it sorted them? I use the car daily
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

What area of the country are you located as there is usually somebody one here who is willing to do this for you (me included). The most likely cause will be the occupancy sensor under the seats, have you been moving them about recently as the wiring can get dislodged and cause a glitch hence the airbag light. I would look to getting it done ASAP as none of your airbags will be functioning at the moment and you never know when you might need them !
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I'd go with Aceman on this.

It's showing there is a fault for some reason so should get looked at sooner rather than later.

I bought a rest tool from http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk and it cost £39.50.

I changed my seats a while ago and ended up with the light on.

It displays the codes associated with the fault to aid diagnosis. In my case I picked up a missing seat occupancy sensor (obviously in too much of a rush) and a small wiring fault (reconnected it). It then cleared the fault.

Gary
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

I'm in the North East, Middlesbrough to be specific
I haven't been doing anything with the seats recently. Are there any wires or connections that I should check under the seats before I take it to the dealer?
rob27

M roadster S50

I may be able to help you out...

Post by rob27 »

Hi I had the same problem last week.I bought the reset tool from the link that has already been supplied in this thread.
It did the job no problem.The unit is very good well made and compact.I am just over the hill from you Near Pickering,I could meet you at Guisbrough if you wanted and reset the light for you.Mine came on because I removed the seat and put it back in.Let me know if want to meet up or I can take tool to Newby on Sunday. :)
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: I may be able to help you out...

Post by Titan »

rob27 wrote:Let me know if want to meet up or I can take tool to Newby on Sunday. :)
Rob - would you bring it to Newby anyway please?
I intend buying one but would appreciate seeing it in the flesh first :wink:
Thanks
Image :devil:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Slide the seats forward and reach round the back to check the connections(by feel).

The usual problem is that the small connector has become disconnected. It's the wire for the seat belt tensioner.

Airbag system is not functioning if the light is on. MOT failure if not fixed.

Unfortunately, the only way to reset the light is to use a reset tool.
Pingu
rob27

M roadster S50

srs unit

Post by rob27 »

Hi Terry Yes I will bring it along with me.Looking forward to Newby
dave ed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Airbag light on

Post by dave ed »

I had the same problem last week when the mot was also due. The local indy told me it was not a fail criteria but fixed it at no charge. They cleaned the contacts on the cable joint under the seat and reset the light. They said it was a common problem.
rosewellian

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by rosewellian »

Help, has anybody in the Basingstoke/Reading area got one of these reset tools and be willing to help me reset my airbag light (for a fee of course)
Ian Rosewell - Near Basingstoke
1999 Topaz Blau 1.8
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Ian,

I'm not too far from you, although I may be in Newbury at some stage next week which is closer.

More than happy to help you out, no fee required. 8-)

Gary
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and booked it in with the dealer. They said it was the driver's side seat belt tensioner wiring and charged me £70 for fiddling about with the connection and resetting the light. Wish I'd known about the tool earlier and the willingness of people on here to help out. Great site, glad I joined.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Trevsky, did they just fiddle with it, or did they replace the wiring loom? Unless you have done something daft like turn the ignition on after removing the seats, the light is normally triggered by a momentary break in the wiring/connectors under the seat, in which case, resetting the light is not a permanent fix and it may well come back on next time you move the seat,

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

Trevsky,

I am in Leeds if you need an airbag code reading and resetting, although as Robert T says, if the problem isn't fixed it could just keep coming back on.
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

No they didn't replace anything, just said fault code showed it had only happened 3 times, was a common fault historically, checked the wiring and reset. I hadn't removed seat, just adjusted it. I guess if this is a common problem I can expect it to happen again. Just cross fingers.
Thanks for all the offers of assistance.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

pingu wrote: MOT failure if not fixed.

NO IT IS NOT!

This is the second time I have seen this comment, stop giving people who are looking for advice, incorrect information.

It may be a fail in next year's test, but at the moment it is not part of the test, so cannot generate a fail.

:head:
Last edited by gookah on Tue 16 Aug, 2011 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

My airbag warning light and ABS light came on just before the MOT.
MOT fail on the ABS light but not on the Airbag light
houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

my airbag light has been on in my wife's T reg focus for the past 5 years & not an mot failiure yet.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

My airbag light has come on after moving the passenger seat yesterday....
I have checked the conections and there fine....

Do i need a reset tool? Anyone have one near me??

Cheers
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

I need to reset the light on mine too, as there is a non airbag Momo wheel fitted at the moment.

I believe I need to bridge the airbag circuit with a resistor before resetting.

Does anyone know if this is the same as an OBD2 tester / reset tool or a service indicator tool, because I have both of these already. Otherwise I guess I will have to buy / borrow an airbag tool.

Cheers

S.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Aibag tool is different unfortunately, I will have my reset tool at Gaydon, if anyone is in dire needs....

Jontt has changed his wheel and knows all about the resistors as there are two circuit types based on fast/slow deploy rates, you need to know what you have first.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
rosewellian

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by rosewellian »

Well, I bought the B800 reset tool directly from HK based eBay seller (it arrived super quick) and identified the fault as "Seat Occupancy Detector Passenger: Coding Data

Many thanks to GAZHYDE (Gary) who has given invaluable advice on the phone which led me to conclude that the little matchbox size black box seen in my attached picture, is completely missing from the other seat so I am assuming that is the problem?

I am also assuming that the B800 indicated Passenger side fault when the obvious missing part is on the drivers side is because it cant differentiate left/right hand drive vehicles?

The next problem is identifying the part number and if possible cost efffective source of supply. If anybody can help with answers to any of the above I would appreciate it.

This also means there is now an airbag tool available for loan in the Basingstoke area :)
1999 Topaz Blau 1.8
tomf84

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tomf84 »

My Z3 can definitely tell the left and right seatbelt pretensioners apart and are the right way around on my UK car - I would assume it's the same for the seat occupancy sensors.
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

I don't think the drivers seat has a Seat Occupancy Detector. It's purpose is, in the event of a crash, to only deploy the passenger airbag if there is a passenger in the car.

The seat occupancy detector is a wire mesh located in the seat which is very prone to damage from wear.

I am sure if you do a search you will find some threads explaining it better than I can.

Have you tried resetting the code and does it come back on?
Try unplugging and plugging the black connector back in (I think I disconnected the battery before I did this!), reset the code and if it still comes on it is the detector in the seat itself.

I bought a bypass off ebay which solved the problem, now if I have a crash my passenger airbag will deploy even if I don't have a passenger, but I think that will be the least of my worries!!
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

wildeboy wrote:I bought a bypass off ebay which solved the problem, now if I have a crash my passenger airbag will deploy even if I don't have a passenger, but I think that will be the least of my worries!!
So do you have to keep plugging in the passenger seat belt on an empty seat to stop the seat belt alarm beeping?

Lenny1e

Z3 roadster 1.9

Airbag light on dash

Post by Lenny1e »

Hi all, I have the same problem with the Airbag light/sensor, like the rest of you,checked the wiring which is fine.No i need the reset tool,I live in Plymouth anyone close by able to help? much appreciated in advance, :) cheers.
rosewellian

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by rosewellian »

Just a heads up I bought the B800 reset tool from Hong Kong ebayer it was £23.18 inc delivery and only took 7 days to get to me. I also bought an airbag bypass unit for approx 15Euros off an irish ebayer and fitted it today. Neither solved the problem so after much headscratching finally discovered that one of the two airbag fuses was missing. After replacing the 5amp fuse and using the reset tool the light now extinguishes without needing to fit the bypass box. Moral is check your fuses first and then again. I did but only once and did not spot there are two :head:

There must be a reason why somebody removed the fuse so will see what happens over the next week or so before I offer the bypass unit for sale to someone who really needs it!
1999 Topaz Blau 1.8
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Good news Ian,

Glad you eventually got it sorted!

Gary
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

rosewellian wrote:Just a heads up I bought the B800 reset tool from Hong Kong ebayer it was £23.18 inc delivery and only took 7 days to get to me. I also bought an airbag bypass unit for approx 15Euros off an irish ebayer and fitted it today. Neither solved the problem so after much headscratching finally discovered that one of the two airbag fuses was missing. After replacing the 5amp fuse and using the reset tool the light now extinguishes without needing to fit the bypass box. Moral is check your fuses first and then again. I did but only once and did not spot there are two :head:

There must be a reason why somebody removed the fuse so will see what happens over the next week or so before I offer the bypass unit for sale to someone who really needs it!
Where were the airbag fuses?
rosewellian

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by rosewellian »

Engine compartment, there is a diagram inside the lid and from memory it was fuse 42 & 43?
1999 Topaz Blau 1.8