Michelin Pilot Sport v Michelin Primacy

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Michelin Pilot Sport v Michelin Primacy

Post by 100GRA »

I was due to have two new Michelin Pilot Sport rear tyres fitted yesterday at Cooper Malton BMW (I made the appointment several weeks ago), but after waiting around for half an hour they told me they had inadvertently sold the last pair they had in stock, and that Pilot Sports are no longer available.

I was not happy, but the bonus is that by way of a sweetener they have offered to fit Michelin Primacy tyres (which I have to admit I had never heard of) on all four wheels for the price they were going to charge for the rears.

Two questions - can anybody confirm that Pilot Sports (which I have always been happy with) have indeed been withdrawn, and has anybody had any experience of Michelin Primacy?
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

I had Michelin Pilot Primacy on my daily driver when I first bought it, but replaced them with Conti Sport 3's when they wore out. They gripped and lasted well, but I found them quite noisy.

I am sure that the new Pilot Sport is called Pilot Sport 3;

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... -3-PS3.htm

Why not try someone like Black Circles or Event Tyres to see what they can come up with?

Good luck!!!

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Mouldy wrote:I am sure that the new Pilot Sport is called Pilot Sport 3;
You are right.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyres/michelin
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Zaskar

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zaskar »

Much like Mouldy, I also had Michelin Primacy on my daily driver - found that they provided good grip (wet and dry) and were long lasting. They had quite stiff sidewalls which made the ride a little hard (I think they are billed as an energy efficient tyre which might explain this).

I can't comment on the Michelin Sports - except to say that based purely on price, the offer that Cooper's is making looks very good as I don't recall a vast difference in price between the Sports and Pimacys when I was looking - certainly nothing like 50% (and I suspect the Primacys will last longer than the Sports....?) :|

Good luck!
Zaskar

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zaskar »

Much like Mouldy, I also had Michelin Primacy on my daily driver - found that they provided good grip (wet and dry) and were long lasting. They had quite stiff sidewalls which made the ride a little hard (I think they are billed as an energy efficient tyre which might explain this).

I can't comment on the Michelin Sports - except to say that based purely on price, the offer that Cooper's is making looks very good as I don't recall a vast difference in price between the Sports and Pimacys when I was looking - certainly nothing like 50% (and I suspect the Primacys will last longer than the Sports....?) :|

Good luck!
Ian Kelly

M roadster S50

Post by Ian Kelly »

I've had Pilot Sports on several cars and I rate them. I bought a set of PS3's, the latest version, when I bought my Z3M last year. Not used them in anger yet, but they are tried and tested and if you can get them when they're on promo somewhere then I'd highly recommend them.

I got mine from Costco when they were at 20% off RRP.

Cheers, Ian
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I can't see a Pilot Primacy on Michelin's website - only Primacy HP, which is what I run on my zed. They do list Pilot Sport, Pilot Sport 3 and Pilot Exalto. I think the size range of Pilot Sport has been reduced, as I don't think they were even a possibility the last time I put tyres on my zed, which is a while ago now.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Robert T wrote:I can't see a Pilot Primacy on Michelin's website - only Primacy HP . . . . . . .
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... rimacy.htm

Possibly another tyre that they have discontinued?

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
saltcoatsbhoy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

tires

Post by saltcoatsbhoy »

Graham,
I've been using the lower priced Michelin Primacy/ Primacy HP for quite a few yyears and can't fault them for "spirited but sensible" driving.
Also, do you still collect the 100 *** number plates? I saw 100 VA on a new Jag coupe in Matlock a few weeks ago.
Are you doing the Cat and Fiddle run this year?
Best regards
Jim