Wheel alignment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wheel alignment

Post by Wrinkley »

To cut a long story story short,yesterday I had our 97 2.8 wheels set up and realigned.
They used the latest Hunter equipment but set the car up using the info for an E85 instead of E36.
They have agreed to correct it but are unable to do so until next Wednesday.
Am I correct in assuming that the car is not going to be unsafe to drive until it's corrected ?

Steve
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Steve

Not unsafe - unless the difference between the two models are hugely different. Strange/vague handling, poor self centreing and accelerated tyre scrub are probably the worst you can expect.

Common sense applies really - just don't explore the performance capabilities just yet :lol:

Who spotted the mistake - you or the operators of the equipment?

Steve
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Some of the conversation between the guys who were doing it had
aroused my suspicions as to wether they had the right model or not.
Not really wanting to tell them their job I thought I'd wait till they had finished and check the printout when I got home.
The printout was not among the paperwork they gave me so I went back to ask for it,he said he couldn't find it,so I asked which model they thought the car was it was then that he said he based the alignment on the E85.
Unfortunatly thre were unable to do it again until next Wednesday which is a pity as we're off to CITP on Sunday.
I'll just have to take it steady.

Steve
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Good job you overheard the conversation and had your suspicions.

Most people would have left them to it, paid up and wondered why a few months down the line the tyres had scrubbed off. Just shows you that no matter how good the equipment is it can only be as good as the operator.

Was it Bush tyres off Grovehill Road? - I went there once to have some tyres fitted - when I arrived they had forgotten to order them :head: I obtained some hefty discount though - I think you deserve some sort of incentive from them too.

Probably see you tomorrow as we're off to CITP too.

Steve