Modifications

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Modifications

Post by Moomah »

I have been reading through the site and something stands out quite a bit.....modifying your Z3.

Being a newbie to not only the Z3 but also BMW, I am curious :D ..... how many of you modify your car, how many of you have tried to retain the original concorse condition, and why?
Four wheeled car, three wheeled trike, two wheeled bike....shame not all at once
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

I think the majority would enjoy modifying their BMW, however, keeping only original BMW accessories.

Most of the aftermarket items usually don't compliment the car at all so it is better to keep away from. There are instances however, such as for headlights, where aftermarket are just much cheaper than the original.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

It's really a matter of taste......and there is no right or wrong (although sometimes downright disgusting :) )
I for one like some non OEM mods, for example; halo fogs, bigger diameter twin exhaust pipes, 17" alloys, the fine spoiler and the grill (in my avatar).
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

I feel original is best

I always wanted an M///
As I felt it had a high spec and most extras on it
But theres nothing wrong with a mod, in Moderation

My original Car

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Boysie wrote: I feel original is best
My original Car
Magnetic stoneguards? :devil:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

Agree with keeping it standard.

But saying that, I wouldn't hesitate on fitting a strut brace and a SS exhaust! :D
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I see that you have a 2.8.

The first mod has to be an M badge :twisted: .
Pingu
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I've stuck with the expensive AC Schnitzer accessories, alloys, interior bits as I feel they compliment the Zed, but I could'nt resisit the dirt cheap boot spoiler :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

keeping mine standard, people generally like that.

The 'BEAST' 666
Naeem.m

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Naeem.m »

Mines the same as when it came off the production line :D
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

As long as you don't have bad taste (which I don't think i do?! :oops: ) then modifying is a good thing in my book.

For the easily offended even you cant argue 'upgrading' OEM parts improves a car, adding bigger and better alloys off higher spec cars (so sticking with factory equipment), ///M wing mirrors, perhaps M suspension to improve arch gap etc.. modernizes a car massively.

For me my aim is not for an OEM+ look but for a car with more purpose, I can see how this could be seen as a bad thing to purists
Last edited by shantybeater on Sat 25 Jun, 2011 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Naeem.m wrote:Mines the same as when it came off the production line :D
That would be the Leicester BMW production line then would it? :roflmao:
reddyzeddygo

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by reddyzeddygo »

When I purchased mine last year, found out it was exactly the same as at original purchase in 2001, so made a decision straightaway to keep it just like that - but admit I love all the mods I see others doing and sticking to my decision gets harder with every new post I see......
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

When purchased new, the buyer had so many options / trim packages and colour combo's to choose from then mix in the difference's BMW made to the Z3 variants. then BMW design houses like ACS , Hartge and Hamann had style options too.
So is there such a thing as a standard Z3 ?

There all different and thats one of the joys of Z3 ownership for me. :D

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Standard for me, well apart from the BMW dust caps x 4 (replica) I sourced from a very cheep (rgf that's for you) fleabay site. They just finish it off :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Erm, I'll keep quiet :D

Ok then I'll bite :twisted: All of the mods to my car are fully reversible (as most are) and the majority are OEM as the AC Schnitzer parts were all available through the BMW parts department (with BMW part numbers) at the time my car was new (in fact I have a brand new Schnitzer alloy still in the BMW box) so in my view my car is only slightly modded from OEM :rtm:

Modding is purely down to personal taste and you do need to recognise the fact that you are more likely to limit than widen a cars appeal to others by modding it (especially when you come to resell).

Part of the fun for me has been sourcing the rarer, originally mega expensive, original parts second hand for comparatively bargain prices over the past couple of years. and the best bit is I know I could resell them for what they cost me so win win all round.

I love original cars, I love cars subtedly modded and some of the heavily modded cars so its whatever works for you that counts :wink:

There are however 2 distinct courses of modding, purely for performance (engine, brakes, suspension, etc...) and purely cosmetic but some do cross noth "camps" eg dropping suspension can both improve appearance and performance if done well :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

modded for me, upgraded suspension, bushes and strut braces are a must imo. The standard Zed isnt the best handling car but with a little help can be quite impressive.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

It makes for interesting reading.... and certainly I will probably go down the line of little tweaks but I think in general I will keep her as she is.... (partly because unless its a change of brake pads, top up of oil and windscreen wash...I am lost :lol: 8-) :wink:
Four wheeled car, three wheeled trike, two wheeled bike....shame not all at once
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

Moomah wrote:(partly because unless its a change of brake pads, top up of oil and windscreen wash...I am lost :lol: 8-) :wink:
I'm glad thats sorted; I wouldn't want to explain how to remove engine oil from the washer bottle...
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Moomah wrote:(partly because unless its a change of brake pads, top up of oil and windscreen wash...I am lost :lol: 8-) :wink:
As I said, just stick on an M badge :wink:
Pingu
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

I have been told that the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked....so I am asking a question. PLEASE do not laugh... :oops:

You mention the M Badge. I thought the M was a later model, not the 2.8 1997 reg. Is that what the M button is next to the E and S button on the console? LOL

:dunce:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Twas said in gest.

To some, sticking an M badge on a non-M car is the worst thing that can be done.

You've lost me on the E and S buttons thing, though :dunce: .
Pingu
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

pingu wrote:
To some, sticking an M badge on a non-M car is the worst thing that can be done.

I'll second that :shock: loads of that goes on on older 3 & 5 series, looks utterly stupid on a 520i :)
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

pingu wrote:Twas said in gest.

To some, sticking an M badge on a non-M car is the worst thing that can be done
You've lost me on the E and S buttons thing, though :dunce: .
LOL....so glad you explained it :D
With it being auto, on the console it had a switch, E (economy) S (sport) and M which I though could be manual but.... :?:
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

pingu wrote:To some, sticking an M badge on a non-M car is the worst thing that can be done.
Yep.
pingu wrote:You've lost me on the E and S buttons thing, though :dunce: .
Economy & Sport (Auto).... :wink:

Edit :- Moomah beat me to it. :)
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

People have been modding cars since cars first rolled of the production line of Henry Ford , This gives the average person a chance to stamp there own identity on a mass produced item. Its like moving into a new house and not painting the walls or changing the curtains , i like the house so i brought it but i want to stamp my own identity on it !!!! Viv la mods. :) Twin exhaust and supercharger next watch this space.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

jayson f wrote:People have been modding cars since cars first rolled of the production line of Henry Ford , This gives the average person a chance to stamp there own identity on a mass produced item. Its like moving into a new house and not painting the walls or changing the curtains , i like the house so i brought it but i want to stamp my own identity on it !!!! Viv la mods. :) Twin exhaust and supercharger next watch this space.
Hit the nail on the head there, i agree.

Not that i would ever modify anything :D
Still modifying
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Hard Top wrote:
pingu wrote:To some, sticking an M badge on a non-M car is the worst thing that can be done.
Yep.
:thumb: