M pack worth it?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
tomtj30

Z3 roadster 2.8

M pack worth it?

Post by tomtj30 »

Hi all
Just wondering if people think the m pack is worth paying for on a 2.8 z3?
Eg suspension upgrade etc.
Should it command a premium second hand. I ask as I am considering buying one and dont want to overpay. Thanks for your thoughts.
Tom
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Not really. The M pack was mostly badges plus the suspension and the suspension will be well past its best anyway now.

Just go for the most well looked after example in your price range. Forget about extras unless you're using them as a tie breaker to choose between 2. IMO, the nicest 2.8 is the last of the pre-facelift versions with the dual VANOS engine. Also look at an early 3.0 as they have a lot more bits on them as standard.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

^^ agree with the above ^^

I would spend my money finding one in good nick, that drives well! The only extras I might pay extra for are things like genuine AC Schnitzer wheels, etc.

You could post the basic spec on the car here and the price they are after, and that would allow us to give you a better opinion...

Gary
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The M Tech pack is purely cosmetic; the suspension is no different to other 2.8s.

The later 2.2 and 3.0 "Sports" did have different "M" suspension though.
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

The Mpack on my 2.2 ltr 2001 y plate car is as follows

Z1XX Special Upholstery (Estoril Blue from the M range of cars I think)
Side airbags
Multispoke 17" alloys
Matt Chrome interior
Dark blue hood
elec hood
heated seats
Air con
M sports suspension

The person I bought from seemed to think the items were from M car design
is thjis true the seats certainly are

pictures here

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2891732.htm
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

my 2.8 has a few M extras which include an M gearknob and an M stearing wheel... all they are are badges.. not worth paying extra for...

if you have a choice go for a Twin Vanos 2.8.. mid 99 onwards... ofcourse tho go for the best condition one you can find/afford...
good service history is essencial too..

most other things like heated seats and nice alloys can be fitted after... you'll love personalising your zed ;-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Bill- wrote:The Mpack on my 2.2 ltr 2001 y plate car is as follows

Z1XX Special Upholstery (Estoril Blue from the M range of cars I think)
Side airbags
Multispoke 17" alloys
Matt Chrome interior
Dark blue hood
elec hood
heated seats
Air con
M sports suspension

The person I bought from seemed to think the items were from M car design
is thjis true the seats certainly are

pictures here

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2891732.htm
I'm not sure, as above afaik only the late 2.2 and 3.0 Z3s which were available as "Sports" had M Tech suspension. Apparently the logbook says Z3 Sport on them?

My 2.8 had the M Tech pack and sports seats. Those in your 2.2 are Z3M seats, it's hard to guess whether they're original or factory options, maybe on the late plates BMW started fitting them as options?
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

This Ad is totally misleading as its not a "Wide bodied Z3M Roadster" it's not even the wide body model.
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

I know that....:roll: the woman selling the car didnt know the tech side of things. she compleatly buggered up the advert but the car is a winner. she didnt eeven mention the uprated factory fitted suspension in the ad :roll:

I have the original BMW Sales invoice & the Suspension is called

M-sports Suspension & the pack is called a M-Sports pack ner

I know the lady made a mistake you see :lol:
Last edited by Bill- on Wed 29 Jun, 2011 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

and I paid way way below the asking price
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

Geoff H wrote:
This Ad is totally misleading as its not a "Wide bodied Z3M Roadster" it's not even the wide body model.
how can u tell its Not a wide bodied model please
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

its proper title is Z3 roadster with Msports pack..
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

I think you will find the 2.2 2001 model is a facelift model which has more flaired arches amonst other things

I'm off to work :D
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Bill- wrote:its proper title is Z3 roadster with Msports pack..
Look at the photo in this thread. Its a facelift model not wide body
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... light=body
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

so what its a lovely car who cares if it wide bleedin body or face blleedin lift :D :D :D

& if you look at the pictures you posted my car is called a wide bodied face lift
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The facelifts are considered wide body thought All of them were the same rear end. It's only the early Z3s that had the narrow 1.9 then later the 2.8/Z3M widebodies, but the facelift is the same width as the latter.

Looks like it probably has the M tech suspension as an option then as this was fitted to the Sport Z3s of this age.
Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

Hi
Just for your info, my 2.8 Orinoco individaul edition is a 1998 model with twin vanos engine and has M suspension pack fitted to it. It is a pre facelift car. This was part of the Orinoco limited edition spec/options.

Regards
Orinoco
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Bill, that car is not a sport but has some sport parts fitted as options (the sports all had clear 3rd brake lights as an easy tell :wink: )

Not sure why it would have been specced like that from new as I think the "sport" may have been cheaper than adding the parts to a non sport ?

to the original poster there was no such thing as an ///M pack or ///M version other than the Z3m's with 3.2 litre engines. The "sport" version came out in 2001 as the only model variation from standard (without speccing specific options).

The ///M parts (gearstick, steering wheel) etc.. where an option but a lot (and I mean a lot) of Z3's got them. Rumour is they ran out of normal parts and so fitted the ///M ones to all cars :D

Always makes me laugh the number of non ///M Z3's that are advertised as "Z3 M" just because they have the gear stick or steering wheel :head:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I would say yes it is worth it if going for a facelifted Zed but with the sport option as your getting Sports seats, lowered M-tech suspension, Type 78 alloys or split rims as cost option, clear 3rd brake light which to me looks nicer, illuminated gear knob and brushed aluminium centre console.

I wouldnt pay too much of a premium over standard though but I wouldnt go for a non sport Zed.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

Confusing??? I'll say so, but for my penny's worth a sport is definately worth a little extra for the better seats and lowered m-tech suspention. then again i've got one so i'm probably biased. :lol:
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Jonttt wrote:Bill, that car is not a sport but has some sport parts fitted as options (the sports all had clear 3rd brake lights as an easy tell :wink: )

Not sure why it would have been specced like that from new as I think the "sport" may have been cheaper than adding the parts to a non sport ?

to the original poster there was no such thing as an ///M pack or ///M version other than the Z3m's with 3.2 litre engines. The "sport" version came out in 2001 as the only model variation from standard (without speccing specific options).

The ///M parts (gearstick, steering wheel) etc.. where an option but a lot (and I mean a lot) of Z3's got them. Rumour is they ran out of normal parts and so fitted the ///M ones to all cars :D

Always makes me laugh the number of non ///M Z3's that are advertised as "Z3 M" just because they have the gear stick or steering wheel :head:
And what would you know about the Z3M? :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

freds dad wrote: And what would you know about the Z3M? :wink:
I'm still learning, but not having driven it for ages I've forgotten what its like to drive :head:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster