Just got a shock today....

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Jake

Z3 roadster 2.8

Just got a shock today....

Post by Jake »

....and had to sit down.

I bought a lovely Z3 2.8 1998 pre facelift model a few months ago and wish I'd done so years ago.

However there is an issue I can't live with. The stainless steel performance exhaust. The roar out of it is amazing and burbling and popping when slowing down brings a smile to my face. But after 15 mins or so the constant low level growl begins to grate to such an extent that I've decided to replace with an OEM back box and mid-pipe.

This is when the shock occurred. The cost from my local BMW dealer is £640!

Don't know about you but I find this extreme.

So should I just buy ear plugs and get on with it or just bite the bullet and stomp up the dough?

BTW what sort of sound does the standard twin pipe produce? I don't mind a bit of growl but not the incessant low level drone that shakes the fillings from your teeth.

Jake
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Just got a shock today....

Post by TitanTim »

Jake wrote:....and had to sit down.

I bought a lovely Z3 2.8 1998 pre facelift model a few months ago and wish I'd done so years ago.

However there is an issue I can't live with. The stainless steel performance exhaust. The roar out of it is amazing and burbling and popping when slowing down brings a smile to my face. But after 15 mins or so the constant low level growl begins to grate to such an extent that I've decided to replace with an OEM back box and mid-pipe.

Don't know about you but I find this extreme.

So should I just buy ear plugs and get on with it or just bite the bullet and stomp up the dough?

BTW what sort of sound does the standard twin pipe produce? I don't mind a bit of growl but not the incessant low level drone that shakes the fillings from your teeth.

Jake
I think this can be the problem with going with aftermarket stainless exhausts as basically they use less construction materials. less baffles etc = more noise to give the sporty sound, I think stainless as opposed to steel creates a more noisy exhaust anyways. You could still go for a custom tailor made exhaust for a lot less money then OEM but insist they make it quiet.

I know the OEM is pricey but then again they must be well made, mine must be the original so its 10 years old and still looks to have plenty of life :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

That would be about right for BMW charges 6 hrs @ £100 + vat ..
2 hours to do the job and 4 hours to look at it :evil: You could for that money buy a stainless steel exhaust system from Longlife and sell yours to cover some of the cost :wink:
Jake

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: z

Post by Jake »

hornel Z3M wrote:That would be about right for BMW charges 6 hrs @ £100 + vat ..
2 hours to do the job and 4 hours to look at it :evil: You could for that money buy a stainless steel exhaust system from Longlife and sell yours to cover some of the cost :wink:
The £640 was for the exhaust only - didn't even included the two clips/brackets required. So even worse than you can imagine :cry:

Jake

Post by Guest »

I broke mine on a speed bump second day of ownership, kwik fit wanted £650 plus vat for middle and back box.

I went for the stainless custom in stead for £279, and have to say i am very pleased. The guys were very helpful and offered, OEM, Mid sport or full sport noise levels, it is all about adding another silencer in the route ( I am sure one these stainless guys would put you a second silencer in). I went for mid sport as i believe this type of car should sound like a sports car, but not a race car.

I find a drive around with the radio off just to listen to the noise, and give me a tunnel...........................
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Surely someone out there with an OEM exhaust would be keen to do a swap?

Or even someone with an aftermarket that's not so loud?

Then negotiate on the price depending on the condition? Gotta be worth a go, or I'd say get a custom job made up for less and with less noise to boot.
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

The best compromise has to be having your current exhaust modified to lower the noise level. Shouldn't cost too much and should last forever.
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

as well as customising the existing exhaust you could also look at just replacing the back box. maybe off a crash damaged zed? :cry
or put a wanted post on a "boy racer" forum. I'm sure you'll find someone who'll sell you their oem exhaust to spend on shiny crap at halfords...
also look at what engine you have and see if it was used in other BMWs to help with the search!

good luck!

mac on his mobular
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

TitanTim wrote:I know the OEM is pricey but then again they must be well made, mine must be the original so its 10 years old and still looks to have plenty of life :lol:
My 2.8 exhaust is almost 14 years old and still looking in fine fettle. With OEM you know what you're getting. If you go aftermarket then make sure you get a supplier who is prepared to tune the exhaust to suit your needs - there's a few suppliers recommended on here ('Search' is your friend :wink: )
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

Jake wrote:....and had to sit down.

Jake
I paid £750.00 for a part exhaust which failed on my VW Touran..
I think all cars are a bleedin fortune to repair these days, Thankfully we have BMW's which are beautifully made & reliable :lol:
Jake

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Jake »

Thanks everyone for your replies/suggestions.

The consensus seem to be that although the OEM exhaust is expensive it's worth it due to its potential longevity and quality.

I wasnt aware that my exhaust could be modded. I'll have to check that out.

Selling my exhaust is also a possibility but being located in NI the market is somewhat limited.

Thanks everyone.

Now how to cure the stone chip rash .........

Jake
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Have some db killers fitted in the pipes of your current exhaust. When I had mine made it was a bit on the loud side, I took it back and they fitted the above now it is sooo much nicer and still pops and burbles 8-)
Now for sale £6000 Ono
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

I have a performance pipe, but I solved the low level growl by turning the stereo up ;)