Off to France, What spares ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
meldrew

Z3 roadster 2.8

Off to France, What spares ?

Post by meldrew »

We are off to France shortly, in our '99 2.8, and hope to cover some 1500 miles. :D

Having previously done similar trips in a 1985 2CV, I carried massive amounts of spares, although never used them, and I am wondering what I should take in the Z3, if anything.

Anybody got any tips as to what may be useful or essential.
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

Just did 1700 miles in a week on my KTM 950 and didn't take much at all :D

However, when the exhaust started blowing due to a graphite gasket going AWOL I bodged a repair with some GumGum, a tin of olives (a piece cut out for a "gasket") and a Jubilee clip.......

Well - I would have if you could buy one of the buggers!! So - next time I go I'll take some Jubilee's. Also cable ties and Duck tape 'cause you never know when something's gonna fall off......

Remember to take a hi-viz jacket as it's law to wear one if you break down at the roadside - warning triangle as well but most Zeds seem to still have theirs in the boot?
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

tyer weld
the badness makes me do it...!

Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Ming wrote: . . . . . Remember to take a hi-viz jacket as it's law to wear one if you break down at the roadside - warning triangle as well but most Zeds seem to still have theirs in the boot?
The hi-viz should be carried in the car and not in the boot and there should be one each for any passengers, too (although a total of two in a Zed would usually be sufficient!!! :wink: ).

Spare bulbs are required and under some kind of Samaritan Law that applies in certain EC countries, you should carry a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. See here;

http://www.motoring-into-europe.co.uk/p ... e-ext.html

There is usually some debate on this point, but both items are worth carrying anyway, wherever you are driving.

I would also recommend a good European Breakdown Cover, such as the one provided by the RAC. The cost of a hire car, recovery and possibly repatriation of your car in the event of a breakdown or accident would be very high without such insurance.

We have just returned from near Millau in Southern France, where we had a great time exploring some of the fantastic scenery in the area. Have a good trip.
Last edited by Mouldy on Tue 05 Jul, 2011 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Isn't it just WD-40 and Gaffa tape... If it should move and isn't, use the WD-40... It it shouldn't move and now does, use the gaffer tape ;)

Seriously tho, there's only so much you can carry, but a shrinkable water can, some hose bandage, tyre weld and a half decent socket set should cover everything you may need, anything else and really best call the breakdown folks.

We went down to Millau a couple of years back, fantastic round there, just stunning! Wish I'd had the ZM then, but the 330d chewed up the miles with absolute ease, so that will be missed somewhat...

I didn't realise you need multiple hi vis', I've only carried one around with me in the past.
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Hi there

Please note that yoiu have to carry a vest in Norway, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Austria and Italy! And get one in Orange - Obligatory in South Europe!

And bring one vest for each person that has to leave the car.
In Germany you MUST always carry a 5 liter fuel can on the Autobahn - you'll get a HUGE fine if you run out of fuel!!!

Additional bulbs and sometimes I've also taken a set of wiper blades with me - once tried to get them nicked :evil:

Fuses, Tyre weld, Engine oil, Torch Light, and old towel, some spanners, pliers and screwdrivers.

On a holiday in France many years ago I had to do a small A/C repair (fan decided not to work) on the Range Rover and was so happy I had my toolbox with me.

have a nice trip - where ever you're going :drive :wave
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

I Love driving Abroad, usually go at least twice a year on Bike or in car, last year did a bit of Germany (Bike) & Southern Spain (car)

I've got good breakdown cover for my Spanish trip next month, £60.00 from Green flag.

I'll take a plug kit (used on my bikes, work very well) & a small electric pump for the tyres, I'll also prep the car before I go & fettle it while I'm away. I like the collapsable water bottle idea, I saw a ten litre btl at the weekend, available in Halfords.

I only stay in 3 star & above hotels they are about 60 euros (after many bad nights in crap areas on previous trips) per night for 2 people. One, on the way to the villa. I'm staying in & one on the way back. I also don't stay in towns or Cities, small villages, less crime. The journey back last time was close to 1600 miles, we zigged & zagged all the way back. I may take an extra day coming home this year, as it was a grueling drive last time, I missed the ferry & had to pay an extra 70 Euros too

I would recommend a long road trip though, its one fantastic adventure. last year it was in the Touran & even then, still great fun. Im really looking forward to taking the Z.
I have all the costs worked out by my partner she is brilliant with Excel, if anybody would like to see how much it cost pm me yr email & I'll send you it
Last edited by Bill- on Wed 06 Jul, 2011 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Most importantly, don't forget a corkscrew!!
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

If there's a Go Outdoors near you, or any other camping supplier it'll be cheaper than Halfords... We just picked up this one:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fold-a-carrier-p152200

More for camping, but useful none the less!
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

France trip

Post by triumphted »

Hi

Have a great trip - i did LeMans last year in mine and loooved driving in France, - with the roof down all the time of course.

Having sold the zed, I have a bulb set from halfords - never opened.

PM me if you need one for the trip and make me an offer.

Regards

John
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Un dictionnaire français :D
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

Im going to France next week for ten days im taking a can of puncture repair stuff! And most important is my RAC european cover, im very pro active on my servicing so ive done all i can but you never do know when the gremlins might pop up !!!! 2000 BMW Z3 3.0 55,000 miles. Last year i did two weeks in a 20 year old TVR with no problems lets hope the BMW can match the TVR!!!!